Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ideas for mounting rocker switch (Read 124 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Ideas for mounting rocker switch
09/08/16 at 09:21:53

I am working on mounting a DPDT momentary rocker switch on both of my bikes to control both of my remotes in one switch (garage and gate). On the Ninja I don't have a passing light and I don't want to wire them to the horn button, so I am using a dual switch (see picture) that measures about 15mm x 20mm.  It isn't waterproof, plus I need a "base" to mount it in and velcro it somewhere because there is no safe place to cut a hole and mount it to the farings.  My thought was to find a small black box of some sort that is very shallow and has a lid that snaps open and closed. That way I could mount the button in there to protect it from the elements and as well that would give me something to use to stick the "box" to the side of the console somewhere with velcro or sticky tape and not have to do any drilling. Yes, I can get a waterproof switch, but they are quite expensive and also quite a bit larger....and either way I still have to have a mounting point so just getting a waterproof switch doesn't solve m mounting issue.

So...I am sitting here trying to think of where I can get or re purpose a "little black box" that is about 20mm x 25mm (just a bit bigger than the switch) that has a lid that snaps open and closed, etc.  

Any ideas come to mind for you folks? I am going to rummage through all of my shop stuff and see what I may have saved over the years and maybe even stop by Hobby Lobby and see if they have any little trinkets.

And yes, JOG, I am making a science project out of this.  Sorry.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

7500005_primary_150px.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Ideas for mounting rocker switch
Reply #1 - 09/08/16 at 09:37:20

Would a small marine momentary push switch work? Here is one at West Marine: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--mom-on-off-spst-rubber-boot-nut--105302... It might be worth looking at.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/08/16 at 09:49:52

12Bravo - Good idea.  I looked at similar switches but my dilemma is (a) I would have to have two push button switches because I have two remotes that I need to engage separately, and (b) I still need a place/way to mount.

Aside from the waterproof concern, I don't have a place to drill a hole(s) in the bike itself to mount a round or rectangular switch so I still need a mounting point. So my thought of a "box" gives me a place to mount the switch in/on and then a flat surface to adhere the box to the bike somewhere.

NOTE: My single switch is a dual momentary rocker. One way engages one remote, other way engages the other remote.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/08/16 at 11:01:14

on fleabay, seach handlebar headlight switch, and you'll find some options.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 09/08/16 at 11:23:34

Well...well...well...

This would work, but I think I need a 1" for the Savage, and for the Ninja I could find a bundle of wires or something to tie it to.

2AD792869A378BF68DA556CD03CFC692C663AF23C853C91343D2636BC89373D233CF236349D2339BCB33D2C76670C6133363CCCCCD9ACC2683A0CD.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/08/16 at 11:57:39

I got a cig lighter socket for my beast.
It had ribs instead of a tubular surface for clamping to the bars.
It was for 7/8" bar until I wrapped sandpaper on the bar and filed until it fit.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 09/08/16 at 12:04:12

Cool.  I'm going to maybe play around with what I have (the SWITCHES!) this weekend and if I can't come up with a mount that I am happy with I might get one of those and try it out.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/08/16 at 18:39:43

Some things Must BE a Science Project in order to work right and look good. Sounds like you're in one.
If you want Smaller switches you can hide relays somewhere and use smaller switches.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 09/08/16 at 19:17:14

My dual switch is already pretty tiny. I have a rectangular one with long side  about the length of a nickel, and a round one about as round as a penny.  Since it is a dual rocker I get 2 for 1 with a single switch install.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/08/16 at 19:33:24

My dual switch is already pretty tiny.

Yeah, I heard that about you.. I'm kinda surprised to see you own that..

As long as you have the amps handled, you're good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/09/16 at 04:21:52

I wonder if you can buy this.....and replace the rocker switch with the double one that you have?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-8-22mm-Motorcycle-ATV-Bike-Handlebar-Light-...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-High-Quality-7-8inch-Handlebar-Moto...

Or....this one mos likely has momentary switches, as it controls a hoist/winch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATERPROOF-ATV-Mini-Rocker-Winch-Switch-Handlebar-Rem...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 09/09/16 at 06:46:32

Another good thought, Dave. I do have space on the L Ninja bar for a switch like the first two. I may buy one and see if it would fit my dual rocker. Wort case t doesn't and I'm out a few bucks, but of it does work that might be a nice, clean solution.

I went ahead and ordered a couple to play with. ~$10. Looking at my switch and the measurements of the handlebar mount I think it is highly likely it will fit. I still have the issue of it not being waterproof.  I don't ride in the rain much, if at all, so maybe if I do get a little wet I can just blast it out with some WD40...and if it ever corrodes a few years down the road I'll just swap it for a new one.

I'll report back when I have the new parts and start tinkering.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/09/16 at 07:08:23

The worst part about those really cheap rocker switches found...is that the delivery time is guaranteed to occur within 60 days!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/09/16 at 07:15:12

I purchase odds & ends from Ali Express and it does take anywhere from 30 to 60 days to receive the package.

I never purchased anything from Ali that wasn't satisfactory.....

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 09/09/16 at 07:19:21

Oh...but I am a sly fox  Wink

I made sure to order from a US retailer (on fleabay) with 3-5 business day shipping.  Costs about double the price ($4 per switch versus $2 from China) so hopefully someone here in the US has already handled and repackaged them and rubbed off most of the toxic chemicals by the time they get to me.

Seriously...have you spent much time in Harbor Freight?  Man...the chemical smell from all of their plastic molded tools and gadgets is overwhelming.  That doesn't stop me from buying what I need, but I don't recommend letting your kids chew on anything you buy from there.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:30:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ideas for mounting rocker switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.