Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike Shutoff When Release Clutch? (Read 331 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Bike Shutoff When Release Clutch?
Reply #30 - 09/09/16 at 10:09:44

The Harley Davidson Riders Edge Program is really terrific for learning to ride a motorcycle. For either the beginner or someone who has been off of 2 wheels for a number of years the program will sharpen your safety skills.

With Harley you will pay a little more, but in this case you will get your money's worth.

Kenny G Smiley

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #31 - 09/10/16 at 22:00:47

cheapnewb24 wrote on 09/07/16 at 18:50:56:
So, you're worried about this, huh?  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbtNISzo6OM

Another tip... Keep your foot covering (not pressing) the rear brake. Pressing the rear brake may help save you from a bike back flip.

I ride most of the with my foot over the brake. Good for control in the twisties and emergencies. Be careful though...The rear tire locks easily, and skidding the rear tire can lead to a high-side crash. Just ask my sprained knee about how that works.  

If you're gonna crash, learn when to let the bike crash. You can only fight it for so long before you risk serious injury. There's a split second where you have to make the decision to let the bike do what it wants. If you just calmly let the crash happen, you're less likely to hurt yourself. My mistake was fighting it. I stuck my foot out to hold the bike up. I should have known when it was time to fall down cleanly. Instead, I buckled my knee sideways and sprained it. It's been giving me trouble since.

IMO, cheapie's well intentioned "advice" should be taken with a pinch of salt and ideally seen as entertainment value only. He doesn't have the credentials to give advice on riding OR wrenching.  covering the rear brake for emergencies? You're more likely to cause an emergency by stabbing the rear in panic. Front brake rules. Know when its time to drop it? Are you for real? No-one I know goes out riding, gets to a point where they decide "oh well I give up. I guess ill crash now". You keep on riding until you aren't anymore. Cheapies mistake wasn't trying to hold on too long, was getting into that fix in the first place. and ssh!t happens, but your better off staying upright. I'd choose the sprained ankle over a smashed collarbone or worse if I were in that pickle. Going down is the worst option. Last time I looked, Keith Code didn't advise dropping the bike...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #32 - 09/11/16 at 14:25:49

Gizzo has an appropriate perspective. In my MSF course, they never taught when to ditch or drop the bike. In fact, if you dropped the bike during my course, you failed immediately, period!  IIRC, they taught that proper braking distribution is 80% front and 20% rear.

Also, the clutch is your friend most often in an emergency. Some situations are better served with just pulling the clutch in and letting the bike recover, and IF braking is needed you don't have the engine trying to drive the bike  forward fighting the braking. Good riders know this, new riders need to learn it!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 09/11/16 at 16:30:52

Seriously,  what's the point?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 09/12/16 at 05:37:46

I'm sensing a common theme that I see in a lot of threads on here.

The OP=3 posts
The rest of us=3 pages!  lol

Unless of course it's cheapnewb.  The it's 3 post us and 3 pages him.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 09/12/16 at 05:56:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/11/16 at 16:30:52:
Seriously,  what's the point?

After so long, no updates, no
Thanks, I tried that,  
No
Nuthin..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #36 - 09/12/16 at 07:13:51

ZuluWhiskey??? Where are you??
Dinner's on the table, come home!!

Aunt_Bee.jpg

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:22:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Shutoff When Release Clutch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.