Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike Shutoff When Release Clutch? (Read 331 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Bike Shutoff When Release Clutch?
Reply #15 - 09/07/16 at 18:50:56

So, you're worried about this, huh?  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbtNISzo6OM

Another tip... Keep your foot covering (not pressing) the rear brake. Pressing the rear brake may help save you from a bike back flip.

I ride most of the time with my foot over the brake. Good for control in the twisties and emergencies. Be careful though...The rear tire locks easily, and skidding the rear tire can lead to a high-side crash. Just ask my sprained knee about how that works.  

If you're gonna crash, learn when to let the bike crash. You can only fight it for so long before you risk serious injury. There's a split second where you have to make the decision to let the bike do what it wants. If you just calmly let the crash happen, you're less likely to hurt yourself. My mistake was fighting it. I stuck my foot out to hold the bike up. I should have known when it was time to fall down cleanly. Instead, I buckled my knee sideways and sprained it. It's been giving me trouble since.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #16 - 09/07/16 at 19:07:28

An example of a rear-wheel-lock-caused highside crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWjwHgveY

It's generally more violent than a lowside crash, where the bike cleanly slides out from under you.

I've had lowsides too.... and rode away with no more than scrapes injury-wise.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #17 - 09/08/16 at 04:05:16

If you know anyone that rides ask them to come check bike out make sure a experienced rider can get it to move before doing any maintenance.

Then if they get it to move have them go over how they got it to move. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING NEW your just late to the party is all.

They may give you some crap but it's all in fun.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 09/08/16 at 09:58:23

zuluwhiskeycharlie,

Even if you don't use the throttle at all, you should be able to sit on the bike with it idling, put it into 1st gear and while you ever so slowly let the clutch go, it should begin to roll down your driveway. I mean, let that clutch go very, very, very slowly. Like as slow as the basement door opens in a horror movie. DID I MENTION TO LET IT GO VERY SLOWLY???

Anyway, as you let the clutch go little by little, you'll begin to feel it pulling the bike forward. If you let go a little bit too fast, the engine will die. If you let go just a little bit and hold it still, the bike won't move at all because the clutch hasn't "engaged" quite yet.

And like JOG said,
"It's OKAY to squeeze the clutch back in if you get uncomfortable." Once you let the clutch engage 20 or 50 or 2000 times, you really learn how far you can let it go without killing the engine. And as you learn where your particular clutch engages, then you can begin to give the Savage a little bit of gas as it "takes a hold" of 1st gear and let's you go smoothly out of the driveway and down the road a piece.   Grin

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 09/08/16 at 12:23:00

I don't think crash videos are a good way to encourage a new rider !!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #20 - 09/08/16 at 13:02:35

Don't let the bike scare you. It has a good bit of low end torque and when you start to feel the clutch grab and the bike starts to move, it feels like when you let the clutch go completely it is going to take off like a rocket. It won't race off. 1st gear is geared pretty low and although the engine may sound like it is winding up you are moving about as fast as a 3 year old can run (unless you have a really fast kid!).

Once you fully release the clutch, let your throttle hand do the speeding up and slowing down, don't milk the clutch to repeatedly engage and disengage the clutch 'half way' to slow you down if you're hesitant.  Remember that unless you are in the process of changing gears or starting from a complete stop, a clutch (like many water valves) should be either fully "on" or "off".  Riding a clutch partially engaged for an extended period of time and slipping it over and over for extended periods of time is not good for it. On or Off. On or off.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Riley
YaBB Newbies

Reply #21 - 09/08/16 at 17:11:32

There is almost no chance of pulling a wheelie on a savage even if you redline first and dump the clutch.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 09/08/16 at 17:49:18

I bet Cheapie has done it...or will one day soon  Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/09/16 at 05:44:23

Riley wrote on 09/08/16 at 17:11:32:
There is almost no chance of pulling a wheelie on a savage even if you redline first and dump the clutch.

I agree, but with a little bit of work and a little skill... Smiley

DaveSWE wrote on 06/12/13 at 20:24:30:
The new home-built pipe an the Dellorto is
a huge power win!

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #24 - 09/09/16 at 05:59:10

stewmills wrote on 09/08/16 at 13:02:35:
Remember that unless you are in the process of changing gears or starting from a complete stop, a clutch (like many water valves) should be either fully "on" or "off".  Riding a clutch partially engaged for an extended period of time and slipping it over and over for extended periods of time is not good for it. On or Off. On or off.

--------------------------------------------

ZWC, that's a very good point stewmills just made. I most definitely was NOT suggesting you ride around for long periods of time with the clutch half engaged. That is a good way to shorten the life of your clutch. But I never really learned to drive a manual transmission car when I was younger so the first motorcycle I ever owned was really scary for me to operate. I had to learn a lot about how a clutch worked before my old Honda Nighthawk 250 would move more than a few feet.

Now, the smarter and more experienced guys here on the forum might disagree with me, but in my humble opinion, it's not going to hurt anything (or at least it won't cause serious damage to your bike) for you to sit on the bike with it running, put it in first gear, let the clutch out very slowly and try your best to learn how far you have to let that lever out before it begins to tug at the transmission and pull you forward.

Once you get to that point on the lever, pull it back in and try it again. Try that exercise 10 or 20 times until you can predict where the clutch grabs the gears (and therefore, it engages). But like stewmills said, just don't leave it half way engaged for more than a few seconds at a time or you'll start smelling something really awful.

Do you have anyone you know who already rides? I think a 60-second demonstration using a clutch would be invaluable for you. And please let us know how you're progressing.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #25 - 09/09/16 at 07:07:26

It's a little late in the season but still might be able to take the Motorcycle Safety Course if you haven't already. I started riding back in the '70s and took the course last year with a friend looking to get his license. It was fun. You'll learn all about the the clutch friction zone.

https://www.msf-usa.org/

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #26 - 09/09/16 at 07:33:36

RaleighGuy is on point.  You do have to spend the time to learn and feathering the clutch is just part of what you have to do to get used to the feel.  You're not going to kill your clutch for the short time you need to learn to ride, just don't make a habit of riding the clutch once you get stable in your riding skills.

+1 on the MSF Course. I learned a lot more there than I ever thought I would...and you get to learn wearing out their bikes and clutches, not yours  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 09/09/16 at 07:38:04

With zero experience, I'd expect to drop it a time or three.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 09/09/16 at 07:54:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/16 at 07:38:04:
With zero experience, I'd expect to drop it a time or three.

Got to wally world and buy two cheap bean bags. Tie one to each handlebar end. Now you can fall over and over into a nice, soft cushion and no one nor the bike gets hurt  Cool  (kidding...don't really do this)

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #29 - 09/09/16 at 10:03:48

+500 on the MSF course.   If you are new to bikes then get yourself into some form of formal training course.  Assuming you are in the US the MSF courses are great and worth it.  The costs and risks are not worth learning to ride in traffic via trial and error.  Go after the formal education.  Then ride the wheels off it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 21:37:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Shutoff When Release Clutch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.