Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New oil leak (Read 97 times)
JBK

MS
New oil leak
09/06/16 at 06:28:16

So I've dealt with the infamous plug leak.  But now I got another
. This one is coming from the spark plug.  Figured old one had a bad o-ring so popped in a new one. All tightened up and still leaking.  So is there something else going on?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New oil leak
Reply #1 - 09/06/16 at 06:57:02

I doubt the oil is coming from the spark plug.

Sometimes the oil can be coming from the left front head stud.  That stud has the oil return for the head, and if the copper washer isn't sealing between the nut and the head.....it can ooze oil.

Another leak in that area can occur if the sealant for the head cap fails...this happened on a bike I had.  I removed the vent tube and put 5 pounds of air pressure into the crankcase, then sprayed soapy water on the engine....and watched for bubbles.

You need to clean the top of your engine and do the air/soapy water test.  If the bubbles come from the washer/nut on the head stud - remove the washer and nut, clean them and install them with sealant under the washer and anti-sieze on the nut.  IF the leak comes from the head cap...you will have to remove it, clean it and apply new sealant.

This is what the leak I had looked like with before and during the test:

In this photo you can see where the sealer has oozed out of the joint a bit.

And in this photo you can see the bubbles coming form the joint between the head and head cap...the sealer has failed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #2 - 09/06/16 at 15:13:16

Well got home and cleaned everything up.  Peered in the hole on the exhaust side of engine and noticed chunks of the red sealant I used on the head plug.  Checked oil filter as well.  Chunks of the same.  So I am going with plug leaking again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/06/16 at 17:16:06

threebond 1211

ten dolla
love you long time

Get a plug with the o ring.
Does Verslagen build that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 09/14/16 at 10:38:51

I had a small leak from the head plug and cleaned things up with carb cleaner (because I had no brake cleaner handy). I noticed that the leak seemed smaller, so I sprayed the heck out of it with more carb cleaner and let it sit for a couple of days while I waited for Verslagen's aluminum head plug replacement to arrive.

When I rode the bike, the leak was gone, and it hasn't reappeared in 1,000 miles. Carb cleaner seems to have swelled or melted the plug to form a tight seal. This might not work if you used sealant with the rubber head plug (mine was dry-installed), but still might be worth a shot before you tear things apart again. Better living through chemistry!

- David
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 10/20/16 at 14:52:11

>> DavidOfMA wrote on 09/14/16 at 10:38:51:
more carb cleaner ... might be worth a shot before you tear things apart again.

I've had a small leak for years on the fins, that never hit the ground.  After you posted this the first time, I tried it and I don't see any new oil, it's been 2-3 months - cool - thanks.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:24:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.