Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2017 (Read 3501 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Savage Events for 2017
Reply #15 - 09/23/16 at 08:16:11

My wife is muttering she wants me to quit my job as the 12 hr shifts are eating me up some.   We are waiting to see what Obamacare is going to morph into here in NC, as right now it is expensive with only Blue Cross and Blue Shield participating.   After my next birthday I will check to see what retirement I could get out of the gov, and balance that against the monthly insurance cost I would have to pay.

There is no independent "for individuals" insurance for much of anything any more where I live, Obamacare has wrecked the individual based insurance industry driving many of the smaller carriers flat out of business, then jacking the price right back up PAST where it was originally.  Then you got that anual govvy fine shite to deal with, which my wife refuses to even consider paying as it affronts her greatly.   This is actually my lowest cost option.   I keep telling her the fine is only one month's insurance cost, and then she starts crying at me as she feel helpless to watch me decline.

My health is indeed beginning to go downhill, so my riding participation will be selective this upcoming year.    I felt great after the surgery, but reality is that I am weaker than before the surgery and hadn't even learned what Warfrin Butt was all about yet.

Both MM's and Dave's are fun,  Dave's garage is as large as some of my old houses were in square feet and it is outfitted like a car/bike guy's toyland.   MM's place is actually more my style as it is very real and it has been used by dozens of scouts, friends, church groups, etc. etc.

Let's plan to go to MM's next, as he can squeeze one in easier since he isn't going anywhere that way (and his wife likes visitors so she might not count that against MM's running totals).

Plus the place is rifle pistol friendly, right off the back patio if need be.   And the stone game room could be our group "tent" as it is close by the bathroom.

Wink   important, that last part

Now, here is what is warped, I still feel and think like I was 20 something (OK, slower on the thinking part, I'll give you that).   But I still feel young .....

AND, riding is a spinal / lower brain set of muscle memory items and I find I can still ride fast in the mountains at will, with no relearning to speak of.

I think the Jeb excursion two years ago was the fastest I ever went on a Savage -- Jeb would likely flat eat my butt up now since he's likely gotten better.

« Last Edit: 09/23/16 at 11:26:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 09/23/16 at 09:17:31

I though Dave's place was a better set-up .
There was lots of stuff to do and neat places to ride !

Smiley

Hosting at my place wouldn't count against my Quota of "Three Day" and "Week Long" rides .

OldFeller wrote:
Let's plan to go to MM's next, as he can squeeze one in easier since he isn't going anywhere that way (and his wile likes visitors so she might not count that against MM's running totals).  

yea ; I think I pushed my limit this year  Roll Eyes

I have one spare room/bed , then the 9' x 18' rock house (airconditioned - couch and chair - 42" TV - PS3 - floor room for 3 or 4 cots ).   Then there is Tent space for twenty more in the yard BYOT and a fire pit modeled after the one at the Dragon.  

OldFeller , if we go further than my place ...  Huh ... , I have a 5x8 trailer with ramp tailgate , two wheel cocks and a truck to pull it.  We can put your's and mine on it and go anywhere (plus cab - Ranger/4.0 V-6).  Wink 20mpg neighborhood .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/23/16 at 11:22:29

Wait until I retire, then we'll talk .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 09/23/16 at 12:07:57

2016 Rally listing
========================================
Twisted Sister Run, Texas Hill Country  Mid to Late April  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438888894
Youzguyz/Springman/MMRanch/Art Webb/Verslagen1
Thunder Beach Run,  Apr 27th-May1st     Location of run is Panama Beach / St. Augustine
http://thunderbeachproductions.com/rally-info/events/603-thunder-beachr-autum...
?
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1454499524/0
stewmills/MMRanch/Dave
Dave's Farm Run, Scoot and Shoot along with 20 pound Catfish wrassling    (mid August)
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1454094115
Dave/Lancer/Oldfeller/MMRanch/Verslanen1

If you see anything missing let me know or fix it.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/23/16 at 14:02:01

Versy liked the big list ..... most of it came off, too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 09/23/16 at 14:36:27

Suggestions for 2017...

verslagen1 wrote on 09/20/16 at 18:25:56:
need a cheap place to stay and a few roads to ride...

Ty's is north of Denver, little bit further than boulder.

Indian Paintbrush Campground - puts us on the southwest corner of Denver.
$55 a night for cabin that sleeps 6   Cool
http://www.lakewood.org/Community_Resources/Parks,_Forestry_and_Open_Space/Be...

weather
http://www.usa.com/denver-county-co-weather.htm

Looking at the weather, june would be good.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 10/08/16 at 19:37:26

Bought me one of those Hennesy Hammock tents.... should be here in a week.
I used to love sleeping outside in a hammock when I was younger.... and I sleep in a lounge chair most nights because my hips hurt and I roll a lot.
So I'm thinking the hammock might be my new tent....
I got it while it was on sale.... about half price, it was a Demo model

https://hennessyhammock.com/products/safari-deluxe-asym-zip

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/09/16 at 17:16:08

Who wants to plan somewhere nearer by the NC Kentucky Tennessee side of things?

Thinking back over all the years of trips we have done, the ones that stand out the most were visiting MM and Dave's farms, the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground trips and the Kickstand Lodge trip (off of all the good reports from last year) so put them into the mixer cup and shake it a time or two and see what comes out.

I think we have learned we do need a set camp area to go out from on our daily forays, and actually the Blue Ridge and the Kickstand are simply on the left and right sides of our favorite stomping grounds.

Kickstand for next year ???     I think it is nearer to the "best roads" than Blue Ridge.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 10/10/16 at 04:14:04

I do believe the Kickstand has a lot to offer.  The bathrooms and showers are clean, and you get free towels.  The laundry is also free (however you might have to empty the drier and fold some towels)!  The bunkhouse is in the north end of the bathhouse/laundry building ($ 22 a night), which is nice for us older folks...the tent area and most of the cabins require a bit of a walk.  The atmosphere is very laid back, friendly folks, free bike wash, some covered bike parking, and you can take your car/truck to the campground to unload your tent/gear.  It is only 15 minutes away from Robinsville when you need food or supplies (or when MM needs to stock up on Mountain Dew  from the Dollar Store).  The location is right on 28 which provides great access to some of our favorite rides like the Dragon, Wayah Road, and longer rides to the Cherohala Skyway, the Blue Ridge Parkway.......last year we rode on the Parkway over toward Brevard - that was a very nice ride except for the rain we hit in Cherokee.  If we were really adventurous we could stay a that the Kickstand Lodge and do most our riding from there - but we could pack enough for 1 nights stay at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and ride over in that area.  Staying at a central area also allows folks to arrive on different days/evenings and hook up with the folks who are already there.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 10/10/16 at 07:44:25

It takes me an hour to set-up or take-down camp .     Preferably in daylight !  Wink

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 10/10/16 at 10:53:51

Dave, propose us a date that dodges the most rain in the late spring early summer.   We have to simply say that we have gotten wet at least once on most of our past trips, it is just part of the game up there in the mountains.  

Expect it, and I find if you just ignore it you are completely dry a half hour later due to the wind blast anyway ......  so just bring you a full face shield style helmet to bounce off them raindrops and defend against them ugly 'ol June bugs and butterflies.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 10/11/16 at 04:47:24

Here is the temperature/precipitation records for April 2016.  Precipitation is low, daytime temps are good....nights look really cold and often are in the high 30's!
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/april-weather/12174_pc...

Here is the same data for May, the precipitation is still low, the night time temps have come up about 10 degrees and are in the mid 40's at the beginning of the month and mid 50's by the end of the month (daytime temps are very pleasant 70's):
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/may-weather/12174_pc?m...

Here is the same for June and the night time temps are finally starting to look reasonable for motorcycle camping/riding with 55-60 degree overnight temps.  I think June is about as early as is reasonable for a group trip (daytime temps have unfortunately climbed into the 80's).
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/june-weather/12174_pc?...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/11/16 at 12:59:29

Realizing that we are pretty far out still, and there is time enough to move the stake in the sand if need be, which weekend in June would you be picking?

« Last Edit: 10/11/16 at 14:43:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 10/13/16 at 04:45:43

I really don't care which weekend, and it may be good for others with families and commitments to help decide.  The end of the month is very near to the 4th of July weekend - and that often provides the least amount of tourists and traffic in the area (as the majority will be taking trips over the holiday weekend).  The temperatures and precipitation appear to be similar all month and likely can't be predicted very far in advance - but I am very flexible and if it turns out we picked a wet (rain out) weekend, I have no problem waiting until the next dry weekend.

So....how about some other folks (Stewmills, Springman, MMRanch, Versy, Lancer, Kris01, Steve H, Armen, Gary_in_NJ, etc.) to comment.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 10/13/16 at 08:42:37

Hopefully, I'll be able to attend 1 east coast event and 1 midwest.
but it too early to know when yet.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 03:33:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2017

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.