Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can not get engine to Idle? (Read 103 times)
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can not get engine to Idle?
09/03/16 at 08:55:31

Ok so here is a little background on where the bike is now and what I have done that may have exacerbated anything or caused it not to start.

I have installed the RYCA decomp Lever (Thumb) and performed the clutch mod. I have bypassed (Removed) the sidestand safety interlock. All Electrical seems to be working as best as I can tell. I have also removed the airbox and replaced with K&N filter. When I got the bike approximately a month ago everything was running fine, albiet it appeared to be running a little lean. I hooked up the tank today with fresh tank of gas and attempted to fire her up and I get chunky whirring noise, I assume is the starter turning, then after a few moments the whirring stops and I get double ticking noise I guess is the sparker trying to work.

So my startup procedure is thus:

Key in ignition - > switch to "ON" - > press red switch to the cycle symbol -> press black switch to initiate the whirring and clicking but no Idle.

I have tried the above sequence both with choke all the way into the bike and all the way pulled out, I have also tried depressing the decomp lever on startup and not doing so. Some things I have noticed this last time I tried, the decomp lever has less range of motion than previously I get shorter and shorter whirring noises and more clicking as I try this (I assume I am killing the battery). I am directed to the spark plug first based on the clymer, but between the time I got it from previous owner running fine and now it has not been run. My other guess is the decomp lever, but I am unsure how to dig more deeply into what is causing the engine to not reach an Idle state. Any Help would be much appreciated, Thank you.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Can not get engine to Idle?
Reply #1 - 09/03/16 at 09:38:59

What you have is failure to get the engine to start, idle comes later.

Quote:
Key in ignition - > switch to "ON" - > press red switch to the cycle symbol -> press black switch to initiate the whirring and clicking but no Idle.

When do you press the decomp?
the decomp is for only getting the starter to turn, release it once it's turning.

clicking is the battery giving out, charge it.
monitor the voltage while starting, anything less the 10v and it won't start.

WWW   IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/03/16 at 09:41:50

I was pressing the decomp down then pressing the black switch, then releasing, is this correct?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/03/16 at 09:57:46

Engage decomp for no more than a second.
How do you know you're getting fuel?
What petcock?
What setting?
A wimpy battery is never gonna fire it.
If it's clicking and spinning the starter and clicking and spinning, you're just hurting the starter and never gonna start.
What battery?
How old?
Slap it in and start cranking or
charge it first?
After its charged,
If still no start
Shoot ether at the air intake, not a bunch, just a whiff,
Still no bump?

Pull the plug wire,
Stick a plug in
ground it
Check spark.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 09/03/16 at 15:13:28

The clicking is the sign of a weak battery.

After charging the battery try again to restart the engine. This time don't bother with the Decomp lever at all. If it doesn't fire after a half dozen attempts, stop trying. From there we can try to isolate whether this is a problem due to fuel, spark or compression.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 09/03/16 at 20:21:13

ZWC, I would take out the sparkplug and put a  bit of oil in the cylinder to lube the walls and seal the rings this will prevent  damage an build compression,check your spark,and fuel, and maybe a small shot of starter fluid.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 09/03/16 at 20:38:41

You can jump start the battery with a car, just DON'T HAVE THE CAR RUNNING!!!! It will fry your bike's electrical system.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/04/16 at 08:15:20

Update, I got a slow, motorcycle specific, battery charger after testing the battery at 11 V, charged back up to 12.6 V and it fired right up. Thanks all for the troubleshooting help!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #8 - 09/04/16 at 11:15:50

The odd fact that the battery can have enough voltage to turn the engine over, but not not enough voltage for the ignition module to spark the spark plug has bitten quite a few of us Savage owners. At about 11 volts, the ignition module quits working, but there may still be enough voltage to turn the engine over.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 09/04/16 at 17:21:14

The battery has two ratings voltage (12+ ) and cca (cold cranking amps).Voltage is the level of power ,like pressure in a pipeline ,amps is the amount of power ,think gallons per min . in a pipe line. when you start your bike the starter motor draws many amps and the voltage tends to fall,not much in a good battery ,but to much in an old /tired battery(below 10 ) this allows the starter to turn the motor over but not enough voltage for a spark.this is why you should check the voltage as you hit the starter ,if the voltage drop is large ,you need to charge  or replace your battery.A voltmeter will tell you if you have a dead cell (10v instead of 12v) but cannot measure amps.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can not get engine to Idle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.