Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Re: Lawnmowers, GAAACK! (Read 198 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Lawnmowers, GAAACK!
Reply #15 - 09/01/16 at 20:06:27

How about a herd of donkeys?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 09/01/16 at 20:36:07

Yeah my father has a 32 lb tomcat. No dog screws with his cat ! It's a freak of nature! It goes crazy if it gets put in a car, the vet comes to the house ! Bigger than most bobcats! I won't even pet it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 09/02/16 at 02:26:30

Kenny G wrote on 09/01/16 at 20:01:46:
During the Second World War they had sheep in Lancaster Pennsylvania to maintain the grass in the cemeteries.

I am not sure where the sheep went when the war was over.

I was just reading the other day about how a solar collector farm over here has a small flock of sheep to keep the grass and weeds down on the property. They get it done better than a human.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 09/02/16 at 03:48:02

I am not sure why - but it seems this thread doesn't have a clear beginning.

If you really want a good mower, and you have a reasonably durable body and strong fore arms for gripping the drive and brake levers.....the commercial walk behind mowers that Exmark and Scag make just flat get it done....and the single blade models made by TORO are good and very affordable when you find a used one, and they have a T-bar type of hand control that is far less strain to use.  They mow fast, are very maneuverable, they don't clump or clog in most mowing conditions, and they will outlast and out-mow any small tractor type mower.  The belt drive units are OK but are a bit fiddly with the need to change the gears to control speed and direction - the hydrostat units are more expensive but work excellent and you can change speed and direction instantly.  Get a cart to stand on - and they won't wear you out with all that walking.  For 2 acres the 36" unit would be a bit small, 48" would be about perfect.....60" would be overkill.

The next step up in convenience (and expense) would be the Zero Turn riders.  Exmark and Scag make excellent ones - there are a lot of cheaper copies on the market, and I don't know how durable they are.  They can be a bit scary on steep slopes until you learn to never point the front wheels downhill - it works better to mow in a way that always has you working uphill.

And....I just don't know if it is possible to get a good, reliable garden tractor anymore - unless you spend a lot of money and get something like a Kubota.  All the small tractors are made by MTD, and they are made to be cheap.......not durable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #19 - 09/02/16 at 05:43:52

I just picked up my very first riding mower (a Husqvarna 42-inch deck) about 8 weeks ago and so far, I absolutely love it. It might not truly be a zero-turn mower but when I crank that steering wheel as far as it will go, I know I only leave a spot of unmowed grass that's about 16" or 18" in diameter. I spent about $1,300 for it at the local Lowes but dang, it's frickin' awesome. The deck is really easy to adjust the height, the seat is comfortable, it starts easy and it even rides through a relatively steep portion of my front ditch.   Shocked

husqvarna_42inch.jpg

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/02/16 at 06:35:07

Dave,  I've SEEN those! Talk about a ride! Our place is pretty seriously lumpy, and the ground has a lot of elevation changes, but I am gonna look into that. They Scoot on at a good clip.

I've been looking at the Husky line. The 54" has grease zerks on the mandrel s, and I don't want another that doesn't.
I'm not wanting another stamped deck. They are too flimsy for the place we have.
I did wring ten years out of an MTD, but I had to go into the drive axle and fix stuff, and they don't sell parts for it. It's got no brake, and I'm not working on it again.. It's over,, and the 16year old Craftsman Works, but the blades will mow even after dropping the engagement lever.. Something is binding up,  and I don't want to mess with it any more.
Tightwad that I am I'm ready to spend some money.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/02/16 at 09:06:18

Try to keep a goat in a fence, or on a chain, or even winch cable.  I tried.  Goats are smart, and enjoy being a pain in the azz

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/02/16 at 09:08:33

Or you could buy an old Jari cutter bar mower.  Used one as a kid.  Think rototiller with a front mounted cutter bar. Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 09/02/16 at 15:12:50

I bought a

simplicity zero turn 52" deck

And Boy is it cool! It's got shocks at all four corners, and grease zerks on the blade spindles. Holds enough gas to get the whole yard, I Think,, I don't Know how much it holds, but it's a bunch more than either of the two crappy old mowers I got rid of today..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - 09/02/16 at 15:18:08

Kenny G wrote on 09/01/16 at 20:06:27:
How about a herd of donkeys?

I've heard of donkeys.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 09/02/16 at 15:23:04

I live in the 'burbs and my 21 year old Craftsman mower just died a few weeks ago.  Hated to replace the thing but the wheels were just falling apart and toed out so the height adjustment was completely unreliable.  Every year, it would start up after Winter storage on the first or second pull.  Last couple of years, I was the only one who could start it though.  Not sure why.  Ended up replacing it with one of those Toro's with the bigger back wheels and rear wheel drive.  It's not even work anymore; I just walk along behind the darn thing.  I'm not getting any younger but just not sure I like it doing all the work!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 09/02/16 at 15:38:53

It's brutal enough to ride,, I ain't Walking around the place..
Even if the mower is pulling me.
Ohh, the seat is a single layer mesh.. see through, air flow is good.
I'm a bit short,, gotta get a pillow on the back. It's all the way forward..

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/05/16 at 09:42:51

Savage Arms made a rider.  You could have two Savages.  Did I say that already?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 09/05/16 at 12:30:41

Get a self propelled and make a wheeled platform so it will pull you too. Or buy one of those stand behind mowers... all different kinda styles.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 09/05/16 at 14:38:46

Old gun powder makes a great fertilizer spread it evenly over the area , turns that grass so green it doesn't look real or just drop a lit match and watch the whole place go up in a fast moving wave of fire !
Consider the mowing done !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:30:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Re: Lawnmowers, GAAACK!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.