Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical System Modification Questions (Read 123 times)
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical System Modification Questions
09/01/16 at 14:13:21

-Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you may provide. The bike in question is a 2003 model year.

I am putting my electrical back together after making some modifications and I have some basic questions about interfacing new items with the existing electrical system and how to test individual electrical items as they are assembled.

1. I have bar end turn signals that have 2 wires, a red and a black, after removing the original turn signals from the forks I am left with three wires (black, black/white, and grey). How should these be connected to the new turn signal wires?

2. I have an integrated LED strip rear taillight/brake/turn signal with the following wire assignments:

Green=Right Signal
Yellow=Left Signal
Red=Brake
White=Running Light
Black=Negative

How should this be connected to the original wiring?

3. I have removed the Decomp solenoid and placed a manual Decomp lever and have attempted to follow the Ryca clutch mod simplified wiring diagram. My question here is, they do not specify which wire by referencing the location of it in the connector in cases where there are two wires of the same color, does that mean it does not matter?

4. After connecting each item can I test it individually before hooking everything back up and trying the whole systems functionality? If so, how?

5. Along the same lines as 4 does everything need to be connected to work? For instance, if all the wiring connections are made except say the tank is left off, so the speedo and indicator lights are not attached, should I be able to turn on the headlight/tailight/signals?

I have attached the Wiring diagram image link as I believe it to be right now(however connections made between wires of the same color could be swapped) with the modified connections in red pen drawn in:

Thanks!

IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Electrical System Modification Questions
Reply #1 - 09/01/16 at 14:14:01

Wiring Image Link Below:

http://imgur.com/gallery/JJZa6

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/01/16 at 14:24:10

zuluwhiskeycharlie wrote on 09/01/16 at 14:13:21:
1. I have bar end turn signals that have 2 wires, a red and a black, after removing the original turn signals from the forks I am left with three wires (black, black/white, and grey). How should these be connected to the new turn signal wires?

If the bulbs are 2 filament, then ground will be the frame.
Otherwise the black is usually ground.
on the zuki, ground is black with a white stripe everywhere.
a black wire would have power to it at some point.

turn the power on and hit the turn signal, the intermittent signal will be the brighter filament.
the dimmer of the 2 will be the running light.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/01/16 at 14:29:55

4. After connecting each item can I test it individually before hooking everything back up and trying the whole systems functionality? If so, how?

I'd say yes, but that depends on various things.
so try it 1 step at a time 1st, if that don't work connect more.
I don't have what you have, so it's hard to tell.
My trial and errors usually doesn't involve explosions, just smoke.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/01/16 at 14:30:55

5. Along the same lines as 4 does everything need to be connected to work? For instance, if all the wiring connections are made except say the tank is left off, so the speedo and indicator lights are not attached, should I be able to turn on the headlight/tailight/signals?

The tank can be left off.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/01/16 at 15:23:20

Have you got a test light?  You should be able to test each switch with that and a test lead w/ alligator clips on it.  I like a fuse on my test light and use the alligator test lead for grounding.

IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/01/16 at 15:56:38

I had a test light, but my problem was I had a blown fuse and didn't know it.

IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/01/16 at 16:03:50

Verslagen, I guess I dont quite understand your explanation of the turn signals, but I have tried hooking them to both wires now with two separate results I do not want. Leaving the black wire of the turn signal attached to the black/white wire from the bike, I first attached the red turn signal wire to the black wire from the bike(it is green on the right side for some reason?) and when powered the turn signals respond to the bike's switch but only momentarily come on and very dim. When I attached the Red turn signal wire to the grey wire instead the turn signals just remain on like running lights, but are at their full brightness. How do I resolve this?

Here are the exact turn signals I am using: http://motogadget.com/en/turn-signal-lights/m-blaze-disc/m-blaze-disc.html

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/01/16 at 18:21:37

Most likely the problem you are having with the front turn signals, is the flasher is mechanical and does not work with LED lights.  You need to get a 2 wire solid state flasher unit. (On right side of frame under tank, just in front of the decompression solenoid and across from the coil).  You want to have the red wires connected to the black and green wires....ground to the black/white wires as you have already figured out).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 09/01/16 at 20:45:19

zwc I'd try the black from the turn signal to the white /black of the bike and the black/green to the redonthe signal ,then set the tank on and plug in the speedo ,as that is part of the system.then test.I use LED's an have not had to buy a solid state flasher.I believe you'll have the gray wires on both sides of the bike as they are for the running lights which you will no longer have.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/02/16 at 10:52:11

Hey Batman, Thanks for the advice, I just tried reconnecting with tank and it worked without the Flasher unit! The cycle rate is a bit High, but barely noticeable.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 09/02/16 at 11:10:17

ZWC ,,I think the LEDs draw so little power the flasher  needs the load of the indicator bulbs to work, and they do seem to flash faster because of lighter load,but Isee that as an advantage in lane changes or turning in heavy traffic. Mine have been working this way for three years.

IP Logged
zuluwhiskeycharlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/02/16 at 11:25:18

ya I actually like the higher rate, I think it catches the eye better. You wouldn't know how to wire up an integrated rear taillight (Question 2) would you?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 09/02/16 at 11:36:12

Sorry,but maybe some of the guys with ryca 's will chime in? I   m I g ht be able to guess  ,if you tell me the number of wires and the colors.coming from the new taillight .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:32:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical System Modification Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.