Ride to Alaska (Read 251 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Ride to Alaska
08/31/16 at 10:07:46

My brother-in-law Steve and I have started talking about doing a ride to Alaska. Probably a 4 to 5 week ride. I have indicated that I could probably not take that kind of time off until I retire in another 6 to 7 years. But who know's, I might be able to do it as early as summer of 2020. This is obviously just in the talking stage right now but I am throwing it out there in case someone here has already done this and would like to give us some pointers or to let anybody that might be interested in joining us start thinking about it now. All of the accounts (not many yet) that I have read of people riding to Alaska indicate that a dual purpose bike has been used. I love the idea of doing it on the Savage but I understand that I may need to buy a different bike.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Ride to Alaska
Reply #1 - 08/31/16 at 10:14:56

Nah.. the Savage can handle it... trust me  Wink
You WILL need to carry some extra fuel though...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 08/31/16 at 10:18:42

Here's a pointer, If they have any sort of police record don't even try , our not so friendly neighbor to the north will not let you thru the country  !!
Friend & his dad tried, father had a 40 year old assault conviction , wouldn't let him in. They took a ship with the bikes to Alaska & returned same way !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/31/16 at 11:04:33

Go looking for a trip and tons of pics by

Beatduck
Maybe
Beat Duck
Beat duck
beat duck...
I don't remember.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/31/16 at 11:31:51

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 08/31/16 at 12:04:33

I guess I just have lots of "Friends in Low Places"

But as I recall weapons , violence , drug  charges will get you turned around at the border !

Mexico anything goes !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/31/16 at 12:22:08

Thanks Neal, I guess if Beatduck got it done on the Savage, then why not give it a shot.

JOG, glad you have a good memory.

Dave, thanks for the link to Beatduck.

Ruttly, thanks for the info. I will try to keep my record clean until then. I would also love to ride down to the tip of South America but I'll do that afterwards just in case I decide to go wild after the Alaska trip. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/31/16 at 12:36:10

JOG, glad you have a good memory.
It's such a memorable post.
Thanks Dave for digging that out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/31/16 at 18:25:51

springman wrote on 08/31/16 at 12:22:08:
I will try to keep my record clean until then.

But then anything goes?  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/31/16 at 20:58:44

I had three friends, Marion Cameron, Cecil Rhoades, and Arthur Ritz make the trip to Alaska from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. All three were World War II Veterans and they made the trip during the late 1990s.

Arthur rode an older BMW road bike. I think Cecil rode a 1960 era BSA Gold Star and Cameron probably rode a Honda street bike.

These guys had to be in their 70's when they did the ride. The only comments I remember were that the mosquitos were as big as sparrows and everything on the side of the highways was mud.

The only special preparation they did was had spare clutch and throttle cables taped fast to the cables so they could make a fast change if they had to. They also had spare inner tubes. All three bikes had very large factory fuel tanks.

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/31/16 at 21:31:14

That sounds pretty cool Kenny. If I wait until I retire I will be 65-66. I wish I could do it earlier but taking 4 to 6 weeks off is just not feasible.

I'm thinking maybe a ride to the southernmost point of the U.S. in Key West might be a good warm up and that should take less than 2 weeks if not in a hurry.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/31/16 at 22:15:17

David,

I haven't done a trip in a few years. If I am going to do one I better get it done before I run out of time.

I am thinking just a couple of days to the Big bend Park might suit me, but I am reluctant to do it by myself anymore because if I break down and get stranded I don't know how I would handle the situation.

The three guys that I mentioned were really world travelers. They commonly went to the Isle Of Man TT most years and would tour Europe after the races. Cecil had a boat load of money and would bring back exotic vehicles from Germany. Back in the olden times he brought back a Gull Wing Mercedes that sold about 10 years ago to the Toyota dealer in Lancaster for $275,000.00...One year he brought his mother a BMW Isetta which she wouldn't even get in to the darned thing. We used it to go to lunch it was so darned noisy you couldn't hold a conversation in it.

He brought some really cool King Cab Volkswagen Pickup trucks that his roofing company used for work trucks.

They were really cool guys that had good lives. Ritz even imported a Frau from Germany....LOL

Kenny G

bmw-isetta-.jpg
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Navigate the to Al-Can !
Reply #12 - 09/01/16 at 02:22:01

springman wrote on 08/31/16 at 10:07:46:
My brother-in-law Steve and I have started talking about doing a ride to Alaska. Probably a 4 to 5 week ride. I have indicated that I could probably not take that kind of time off until I retire in another 6 to 7 years. But who know's, I might be able to do it as early as summer of 2020. This is obviously just in the talking stage right now but I am throwing it out there in case someone here has already done this and would like to give us some pointers or to let anybody that might be interested in joining us start thinking about it now. All of the accounts (not many yet) that I have read of people riding to Alaska indicate that a dual purpose bike has been used. I love the idea of doing it on the Savage but I understand that I may need to buy a different bike.

Well, I for one believe it's an excellenti idea !

AND

If you link it to a project, you might even get a little backup from sponsors!
(No, not Suzuki... if you're 60 when you do the trip... what do 70 year olds need to feel 60 again? Wink )

Here's my two cents' worth of planning suggesitons:

1. BOOKS & MAPS: READ-READ-READ ALL ABOUT IT !

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=...

I have Tricia Brown's book and have to say it is very informative and well written.
Others you can buy used for a mere 1 cent !

Also, you need one "small scale" map (all of Canada&Alaska in one big sheet) and a few "large scale" maps (i.e. 1:500.000 scale or 20 miles/inch) in order to understand what the road is really like - especially if you want to picnic or need to do roadside repairs etc.
Please keep in mind this is the "European" point if view; having all Iowa or all Montana in one "placemat size" piece of paper is next to useless; same for navigating the Al-Can

2. BIKE:

The Savage is more than capable of handling the trip, especially if you consider that nowadays it's all paved  Smiley
Of course you will need to ensure it's in top mechanical shape!
Of course YOU will need to be in top physical shape!  Wink

The only really necessary mods I suggest are:

2.@ BIKE FRAME-CHASSIS:
I highly suggest you fit highways bars to protect your knees in case of a fall...
I highly suggest you fit a wider "foot" to your sidestand to avoid it sinking in loose sand/gravel/soft dirt
I highly suggest you recondition your front forks (new springs and thicker oil) and maybe 1" longer rear shocks.

2.a. TIRES: a dual-sport type front tire (such as Metzeler Tourance or Continental ContiEscape) or, if you can find them, a set of Continental TKC70) If all else fails, Dunlops 502 as fitted to HD Dynas are a durable and reliable choice. AVOID cheap chinese tires.
INNER TUBES: get NEW inner tubes and make sure they have an "L-shaped valve"
http://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/alpinafront16-561x375.jpg

2.b. FUEL TANK: everybody hates the OEM 2.5 gal tank, now's the time to replace it! See if you can fit a 4 - 6 gal. tank off a broken Harley Dyna/Road King.
The bigger the better; cruising at a steady 55-60mph should give you an easy 200 miles off a 4 gal tank.
BTW away with the OEM petcock and fit a Raptor, Pingle or similar!

2.c. FUEL RESERVE: the 2 qt. bottle is useless. However, if you have a 5-6 gal tank, cruising at 55-60mph you should have no problem reaching the "gas station after next"; if you have a 4 gal tank, then a 10 liter (2 1/2 gal) jerrycan safely strapped to the bike's chassis via its own frame is your best bet. Check Canadian laws for securing a jerrycan.

2.d. SPARES: at best, you won't need a thing; at worst, you'll need a pickup  Grin In the middle lies "life and all its uncertainties"; my advice is to bring only what you can replace by the roadside and a few extra bits which the local mechanic can fix with his (Chevy pickup) tools: a voltage regulator, brake pads, brake&clutch levers (in case you snap them in a fall) light bulbs, electric cable and LOTS of zip ties!
And a magnetic tray so you don't lose your nuts&bolts in the grass... https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W1265-Large-Magnetic/dp/B000N3235E/re...
And an oil filter or two...
Air filter? Washable foam Wink
And a 20-ft. tow line... just for luck!  Cheesy      
Bulkier "must haves" like a starter motor or a stator are best left home and shipped via DHL as required.

2.e. RIDING POSITION: Forward controls may be nice&comfy in Kansas but they are awkward in the Rockies; My advice is to stick to mid-controls and fit highway pegs just to stretch your legs - but keep the mid controls for city and mountain riding; similarly, your handlebars must be ~the width of your shoulders, no 18" drag bars please, and no buckhorn pullbacks, they will not control the bike in loose gravel or in the mountain twisties. You'll need a comfortable seat, your worst enemy being saddlesore because the seat is too stiff and your skin sweats; european long range riders are fond of sheepskin.

2.f. WIND: fit a small flyscreen to keep the wind and rain off your chest.

2.g. Belt drive ?  Chain conversion!   Cool

2.h. LIGHTS: Personally, my advice is to fit those small metal chrome indicators front&rear, so they "tuck in" and in case of a fall they are not damaged. I also suggest you use dual-filament front amber indicators so that you have "running lights"; you might also consider fitting a rectangular white "reversing light" under the headlight, connected to the front sidelight, so you can ride in the day with a bright LED instead of the 50W headlight, the point is "being seen from a distance".
http://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AJP_PR7_04.jpg
A power socket to your GPS https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Handle-Charger/dp/B00VF7H...
A steel mesh to protect your headlight from loose pebbles and gravel is also useful.

2.i INSTRUMENTS: If you fit a HD tank, you'll have to reposition your speedo on the bars; you can use a speedo cable off a GS/GSX from the 1980's. You may also want to fit a tachometer; it's not essential but it's nice to have Smiley .
You also DO want to fit a voltmeter to keep the battery in check - the best are the cheaper plug-in types
https://ecs12.tokopedia.net/newimg/cache/300/product-1/2015/2/6/199261/199261...
or the kit LED types which you can fit inside the dash panel https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0671/0713/products/0000194_kit-6005-led-vol...

YOU DO want to use a TomTom Rider navigator, not that riding the AlCan is difficult but it's the only way to know "how much longer to the next town?" It is also helpful if you have to call for rescue services, and tell them exactly where you are, not just "somewhere between Stink Lake and Dead Moose..."
http://thekneeslider.com/images/tomtom2ndedition.jpg

3. BAGGAGE: My suggestion is to split your baggage load in four parts:
Like this but reversed) https://adventuremotorcyclinghandbook.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/kribakbike.jpg

3.a. Spares: USArmy surplus ammo case in steel, bolted to the right side of the frame above the muffler; the bigger the better (just don't overload it)
http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/prodimages/giant/9102.jpg

3.b. Jerrycan: in a specific "jerrycan carry-frame" fitted to the left side of the frame;
http://sidecarpro.com/images/Parts_fuel_gas_jerry_can_locking_frame_mount_and...

3.c. Clothes: is a watertight bag, possibly in bright yellow, fitted to the rear rack; keep it to a minimum, concentrate on underwear&socks and fit the bags sideways in order to keep the bike's center of gravity low.
http://www.motoabbigliamento.it/images/inserzionearticoli/bs206104amph.jpg

3.d. Documents, papers & rain gear; magnetic bag on the tank, possibly with a transparent pocket for your map.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Magnetic-Motorcycle-Tank-Bag/dp/B006JMKLPM/ref...

If you STILL have stuff to pack, you can use "tank saddlebags" https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-SB-6MO-Tank-Saddlebag-Mossy/dp/B000OF62M6/ref=sr_...
or https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-766-Saddle-Bag/dp/B004Z1239G/ref=sr_1_103?s=...

Fire extinguisher: 2qt. (4:5 lb) strapped somewhere safe where you can get it FAST! (i.e. strapped to the handlebars)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/01/16 at 08:40:57

Kenny, sounds like you have some interesting friends. You know, I have always wanted to drive an Isetta. I never knew they were that loud though.

Kenny, I am just lucky that I have a wife that shares my passion for living. No, let me rephrase that. My wife has shown me to have a passion for living regardless of the risks that may be involved. She is a wonderful woman. So, go for it. Ride, enjoy and make the best of this life while making sure that you will have eternal life in Jesus Christ.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 09/01/16 at 08:43:23

Mr. Pescatori, it appears you have already put more thought into this than I have. Thank you. I need to re-read your suggestions but from my first read it appears you certainly know what you are talking about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:21:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ride to Alaska

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.