Crash bars
Skid plate
Roto-pax
Handguards
Drybags  (pvc)
Centerstand
Rok Straps or something with cam buckles

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cdmx-alaska-cdmx.1127594/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/canada2argentina-going-outside-to-play-...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/to-alaska-d2d-the-dempster-july-2016.11...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Ride to Alaska
Reply #16 - 09/01/16 at 20:46:03

Well pg, you are actually making me have second thoughts about this. I may have to meet up with Neal in the Hill Country to do some off road riding on the Savage to see how it handles. Huh

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 09/02/16 at 03:30:12

I really don't think the Savage is going to be a suitable ride for a trip to....or into Alaska.  Shaft drive is a huge benefit on those muddy wet roads, large diameter wheels/tires help to get over the bumps and potholes, tubeless tires are a big benefit as you might be able to plug the tires instead of patching/replacing a tube, and a feet forward riding position is not the best way to negotiate rough roads and reduce the wear and tear on your body.

You would be far better off with a Dual Sport/Adventure touring bike.....and the downside for you on that....is your short inseam.

Before you try the Alaska trip.....I suggest you do some long touring rides on pavement.  It will help you to learn how to pack and what you need to take, and it will help you to see if the Savage can get the job done for you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #18 - 09/02/16 at 05:30:48

I would suggest a trip to the Grand Tetons and or Glacier National Park on the savage.  That would be well within the capabilities of the bike and extremely enjoyable as well.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 09/02/16 at 05:42:10

A fellow on the Honda NT forum just took a tour in his new/used Miata.....and it sure seems he saw a lot of sights in just a few days of driving!

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?10739-Miata-Touring

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #20 - 09/02/16 at 06:48:42

A Miata, how about a KLR.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 09/02/16 at 06:59:42

I wasn't suggesting a Miata - I was suggesting that there are some great rides available that keep you on paved roads.  And it just happened that the most recent one I read was from a seasoned biker that did it in a Miata.

I am sure the Savage can go anywhere a Miata can - except the Miata most likely can go 300 miles between fuel stops.

I like the KLR, or V-Strom, or DR650 - I am not sure Springman can touch the ground on any of them (I know I am just able to tippy toe on the V-Strom and KLR with my 30" inseam).

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 09/02/16 at 07:14:38

just load more stuff on the KLR, the suspension compresses  Grin
actually there are lowering kits for all the adventure bikes
As for the S40 off road, you can tell Dave has never ridden with Neil  Grin
Not that the s40 is ever going to be a KLR, but if you slow down, she'll do it, with a few mods as PG suggested

most important mod: a route that uses NO INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS
America's state highways are so much more interesting

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #23 - 09/02/16 at 08:11:14

Dave wrote on 09/02/16 at 06:59:42:
I wasn't suggesting a Miata - I was suggesting that there are some great rides available that keep you on paved roads.

Yeah, I know it.  I was surprised to see the 4th picture on that thread is from the same rest area as 3rd & 4th pictures I posted!

Best regards,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 09/02/16 at 08:31:58

Gas and Tires... those are the key factors that would cause me to select something else other than a savage.

With under 3 in the tank you have to carry a lot as luggage on a bike that already has a lot of weight on the rear tire.

From what I seen, most want a dual sport tire to handle the roads.
Not many are available in 140/80-15.  I'd want a common size and tubeless for sure.

Weather
http://www.usa.com/anchorage-county-ak-weather.htm

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #25 - 09/02/16 at 11:31:42

springman wrote on 09/01/16 at 08:43:23:
Mr. Pescatori, it appears you have already put more thought into this than I have. Thank you. I need to re-read your suggestions but from my first read it appears you certainly know what you are talking about.

Who, me ? I'm planning a ride to the North Cape in my Savage  Smiley

That's 71°10' North, sir https://www.google.it/maps/place/Nordkapp,+Norvegia/@70.9204916,25.3845654,9z...

Talk about the Midnight Sun !  Grin https://www.google.it/maps/@71.1706467,25.7838535,3a,75y,69.81h,95.1t/data=!3...

As for the ALCAN, I could have sworn it was all "slabside" !

I still believe a 650cc thumper can do it, just not as fast as a 650cc dual sport !

But, who cares, nobody's ever done it on a thumper !
Who wants to do what everybody else has already done?  Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #26 - 09/02/16 at 18:18:25

I'm sure someone's done it on a thumper.  Back in the day you didn't go buy a special purpose bike, you used what you had and made due with it.

I am definitely in agreement about the tires and the fuel capacity.  There are places you'll need to do well over 200 miles to get to the next fuel stop. Just think about those frost heaves with and inch and a half of suspension travel. There's hundreds of miles of gravel, hard packed to loose and squishy. Turns into a slick muddy mess when it rains.

That would be an awesome ride.  I'd love to see all that scenery first-hand. I've been wanting to do that for the last couple of years.  But, I can't take the time off from work and I certainly don't have the funds for a  trip like that.

Here's a link to a girl that did the trip from Virginia to Alaska and back on an old Yamaha Radian.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/virginia-to-alaska-and-back-on-an-86-ya...

This one's a guy who did it on a dual sport. He's got lots of information about stops, costs and stuff in his write-up. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/alaska-adventure-broken-bones-kamikaze-...

Both of those links will probably put you near the end of the write-up, just go back to 1 and start reading.

I wish I could do it but I doubt I will ever make it. Maybe if I win the lottery or something.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 09/02/16 at 19:29:30

Maybe a trip like Bear Tooth Pass or Sergis S.D.  --- or ----  Huh ---- my place next summer !    Just to get a warm-up (800+mile) ride .  

Before you try the Alaska trip.....I suggest you do some long touring rides on pavement.  It will help you to learn how to pack and what you need to take, and it will help you to see if the Savage can get the job done for you.

I'm thinking a large tank bag for personal gear and Loading the saddle bags with fuel !  Tongue

I have put my tent on the bottom of the triple tree (weight-on-front tire) , but its not helpful with fuel millage , if ya go fast ,

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #28 - 09/02/16 at 21:15:10

The more I read about Alaska, the more intimidating it gets and in all honesty it is not the road conditions, the distance or the mosquitoes, it is the thought of riding in cold rain that does me in. Rain in hot weather is fine, but not in cold weather. Oh well, if I do it it is still a long ways off.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #29 - 09/02/16 at 21:16:28

Mr. Pescatori, when are you going on your trip and how many days are you budgeting for it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:39:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ride to Alaska

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.