Send Topic Print
STARTING ISSUE (Read 68 times)
dhsmithh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

STARTING ISSUE
08/30/16 at 13:37:45

So my old bike that I sold to a buddy of mine is randomly not starting. Before he buys a starter for it I figured i would try to get some insight from you guys here on the forum.

No click or anything when trying to start, even when he jumped it. So battery is fully charged and everything else works. no loose wires. brand new solenoid, all new wiring. I tried to push start the bike a few times with no luck and then randomly pushed the start button and it worked. rode it around a bit, parked it, shut it off, started it up again with no issues. About  5-10 mins after, tried to start it again and no luck.

Forgot to mention that we did take the starter apart to look for any loose ends and everything seemed to be intact inside there.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: STARTING ISSUE
Reply #1 - 08/30/16 at 13:41:39

The safety interlocks can often be a problem.  The clutch safety switch can be intermittent, and will prevent the starter from operating if it is not closing the circuit when the clutch is pulled in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/30/16 at 14:42:40

First
Don't Buy Anything until you have exhausted all the troubleshooting.

It doesn't sound like a starter problem.

Try it out by starting in neutral, stand up, every time.

If that starts it every time, then you are onto something.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mr.smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/30/16 at 16:29:06

Im having the same issue here, the clutch safety is bypassed and tried stand up and down. the neutral light comes on and it just started doing it the other day. Im thinking corrosion in the switch itself? what are the spade connectors under the throttle one looks like it comes from the push button? I also know its not the killswitch because if i get it started it will kill it and if i kill it and its still trying to die i can flick it back on.

IP Logged
dhsmithh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/31/16 at 03:58:40

Kickstand is bypassed, all lights come on in neutral. He did just replace the forks and bars. Where is the clutch safety switch located and how could we go about seeing if that's the issue? Thanks for all the input!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/31/16 at 04:17:35

To see if the clutch safety is the issue....bypass it.  Pull the wires off the switch, and run a jumper wire between the wire connectors on the harness, and you then have bypassed the switch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #6 - 08/31/16 at 04:49:03

mr.smith wrote on 08/30/16 at 16:29:06:
what are the spade connectors under the throttle one looks like it comes from the push button?

Those are for the brake light switch and should have no impact on the bike running or not.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 08/31/16 at 04:52:07

dhsmithh wrote on 08/31/16 at 03:58:40:
Where is the clutch safety switch located and how could we go about seeing if that's the issue?

The clutch switch is the small two prong plug that comes out of the left hand controls and plugs into the black switch box under the clutch lever.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:18:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › STARTING ISSUE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.