Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Really? Taking the rear tire off just for this??? (Read 95 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Really? Taking the rear tire off just for this???
08/30/16 at 09:21:13

Well, my saddlebag brackets arrived in the mail yesterday so off I go to the garage to bolt them on. I remove the acorn nut from the muffler side, remove the bolt from inside the fender (just over the tire) and all goes as planned.... well.... except for the bolt that comes with the package is much too long. But that's easy to solve with a trip to Lowes Home Improvement store. So basically, I'm half way there. Cool beans.   Cool

After I remove the acorn nut from the petcock side of the bike, I remembered that it is pretty darn difficult to reach over the rear tire to access that bolt that's smack in the middle. I had lots of fun with that bolt while installing my sissy bar a few weeks ago. But after fiddlin' with it for 5-10 minutes, the good ol' Craftsman socket wrench does its job and off it goes. So I try to put the shiny new bolt into place with the saddlebag support in the correct position. No go. Hmmm, I try again. No go.

I just can't get the bolt threads started at all. I twist it one way and the other. I slightly pry the support up and down, I tap the bolt slightly on the end to try to "set it", no go. And when I say tap, I mean a very slight tap, not with a hammer or anything really solid, just a few love taps with the end of the socket wrench.

Then I get a bright idea, I try to get the old bolt that I just removed back into the hole, no go. I try three or four more times, still no go. At this point, I'm thinking to myself, "Am I going crazy? I KNOW I just removed this bolt from the same hole half an hour ago and now it won't go back in again."

After messing with the stupid thing for nearly two hours, I decide that I'm not going to get either bolt started in that hole (with the support lined up correctly) until one of two things happen. Either I'm going to have to remove the rear tire and gain a much larger access to the area in question OR I'm just going to have to recruit my three-year-old granddaughter to get her little hands in there and start those bolt threads.  Grin

Thoughts?

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Really? Taking the rear tire off just for this
Reply #1 - 08/30/16 at 09:38:53

Jack up the bike so that the rear wheel is a couple of inches off the ground and then take the shocks off. The swingarm and rear wheel will drop down far enough to give you the room you need without taking anything else apart.

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 08/30/16 at 10:20:57

oldNslow wrote on 08/30/16 at 09:38:53:
Jack up the bike so that the rear wheel is a couple of inches off the ground and then take the shocks off. The swingarm and rear wheel will drop down far enough to give you the room you need without taking anything else apart.

----------------------------

Cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks oldNslow.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 08/30/16 at 12:45:07

Those bolts can be frustrating. I remember dealing with mine and I ended up removing the rear tire. I had to wiggle and yank on the pillion to get the holes to line up perfectly to finally get the bolts to catch. One way or another you need to get the tire out of your way. And make sure that ALL of the other two bolts and acorn nuts are loose or removed so the inside bolt is the first one. That way you don't have the other bolts in tight not allowing that one tough one to not move and line up where you need it. The other two with acorn nuts are easy.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/30/16 at 14:30:20

My ratcheting box end wrench ez seem to
Make it easier.

I went to the industrial nut'nBolt store and got four Button headed SS 1.5" bolts. Got change on two dollars.

Gotta swap the former, alleged Muffler for the Dyna.
Hang them Bags..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 09/06/16 at 09:15:36

I'll be danged.... it worked!! Made me one of those homemade bike stands out of some 2x8s and an 3 foot iron bar, jacked that puppy up, removed the shocks and then the bolt slid right into place.

Thanks oldNslow, that advice did the trick.   Grin

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/06/16 at 09:49:01

Glad it worked out. Keep track of that homemade stand. Having a convenient way to get the wheels up off the ground will come in handy for a lot of things.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/06/16 at 15:57:02

I got the brackets on, didn't raise anything. I used the smallest 1/4" ratchet and cut a piece off of an allen wrench. Buttoned the button heads Down.
I'm folding, and gluing, the
Throw Over flaps, went to Holly Bobby and got some , heck, grommets, because it's the closest word I can think of, and will drive them in and use parachute cord for the lacing, leaving the RR open to breathe.
EBERvodee needs to Breave,
Cough, cough, wheeeze,allergies, cough cough, Wheeze,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:34:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Really? Taking the rear tire off just for this???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.