stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Cool Tool
08/29/16 at 19:40:01

Ok...I am sure many of you have one of these or at least have used one.  However, despite all of the gadgets I have, I have never used one until today. I needed to adjust the carbs on my Ninja, and those carbs have the dreaded idle mixture screw plug like the Savage but they are accessed from the BOTTOM of the carbs, not the side.  I was reading about how to take off the tank, farings, carb removal, etc. and I accidentally came across a post from some smarty pants on the Ninja forum (probably their equivalent to our JOG). As I read on, Ninja JOG (as I will can him) said WHOOOOOOOA! WAIT A MINUTE!  He said all he did was grab a $20 angle driver and a sheet metal screw and he just patiently drilled at the plug until it got a good bite and yanked the plugs out.

So, what did I do? Went to the store and got me a $20 Milwaukee angle driver, got some sheet metal screws from the shop, my battery drill, and away I went. It took caution and patience as to not booger anything up, and after working at them both I had the plugs cleanly removed in about 20 minutes. Not a single nut/bolt/screw was removed from the bike for this job...I did it right there.

Sure, this is trivial on the Savage, but if you know anything about taking carbs off of a Ninja I just dodged a big headache.

The tool of discussion is the silver part. It can be hooked to a manual handle as pictured or to a drill as I did.

Enjoy!

71EDJ5SVFBL__AC_UL320_SR292320__gif.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Cool Tool
Reply #1 - 08/29/16 at 19:45:12

Stew, I gotta get one of those for tool box at work !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 08/29/16 at 19:48:27

$20 at Home Depot. Knowing what it saved me in time and headache  (in hindsight) I'd pay $40 for it!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/29/16 at 20:14:49

Stew,

That is good to know.

I have had a Milwaukee electric screwdriver since 1989 and never knew that there was a right angle drive made for it. I can think of a dozen times when that would have been a lifesaver.

There will be one in my toolbox the next trip to Home Depot.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/30/16 at 03:22:51

I try to avoid Home Depot.. if Lowes has it, that is where I go.

NinJog,,
There's one in every crowd..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 08/30/16 at 18:12:28

I've used one exactly one time. However, when you need it, you NEED it!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:33:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cool Tool

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.