Send Topic Print
No spark!!! (Read 108 times)
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No spark!!!
08/29/16 at 14:22:34

Finally got  my Savage running about 3 weeks ago. Still sorting the jetting, but getting there. Now I have lost the spark. Coil and plug are tested and good. Open circuit on the pick up coil, so either dis wire or new coil needed. However, did the test on the igniter unit using an ohm meter, as per the Suzuki service manual, all good except the reading between + on terminal 5 and - on terminal 1. According to the book it should read 20 ohms using a Suzuki tester, but mine shows no connection. Before I get a new unit, can anyone confirm this reading using a standard ohm meter?

Also, can the pick up coil be purchased separately, as the parts list has it down as part of the generator, which is £400.00 ish.!!!!! Shocked

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: No spark!!!
Reply #1 - 08/29/16 at 18:12:13

If you buy from Suzuki, the pickup coil is part of the stator assembly and can't be bought separately.  Check ebay, you can get them seperate on there for around $20.  

Be aware that you'll have to splice wires to get it to work.  It's not a just bolt in replacement.

Sorry, can't comment on the resistance between pins at the moment.  It might help if you tell us what year your bike is.  There are some differences between ignitors, I think.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/30/16 at 10:07:46

I've found a full stator assembly on Ebay for £70.00. My bike is a '87 model with the common igniter. I'm having the generator off anyway, but was just curious about the igniter circuit. If it needs replacing, so be it. It's a real easy job, just a bit pricey. :'(

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 08/30/16 at 19:22:59

Mine's an '87 too.  I just had to replace the stator on it.  I opted for a brand new aftermarket and had to cut and splice wires.  But, it cost a tenth of what Suzuki wanted for one.  It's working great.  Gotta get back to the rubber seal and hit it with some more RTV, though.  It's got a small oil leak where I had to puch the new wires through the seal.

Good luck.  Hope to hear you got it going again soon before all the riding weather runs out.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #4 - 08/30/16 at 23:05:48

To save money and time... First pull the side cover off so you can get a visual of the p/u coil and wires. Ohm out the coil right where it's mounted. Use a sewing needle to pierce the wires and touch your ohm meter to it. If no reading the coil is open. If you get a reading then ohm out the wiring from the coil to the connector under the seat. You will have to visually follow the wires to see which connector it is. Also make sure the belt didn't rub clean through the wiring harness when it exits the stator cover. It happened on mine and drove me crazy.

IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/05/16 at 12:35:43

Fitted a used stator and pick up coil, and all is working fine now Smiley. Old pick up was ok except the insulation on both wires was cracked about 1/16 from the actual unit, and I didn't really fancy fannying with new wires, again! Just the jetting to sort now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:30:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No spark!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.