Send Topic Print
Sold the 650 (Read 165 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Sold the 650
08/28/16 at 17:10:53

I must say that I have had a good time on this Forum and a really good time riding an '01 LS650P for the last 19,000 miles. I am 63 and have led a life of hard work and suffered back pain most of that time. Lately, the Savage has been causing bad pain in my elbows and hands. So when she quit I decided to not fix the starter AND an overdue timing chain replacement. I just watched her leave for Oklahoma an hour or so ago. I made the deal over a month ago, so when my wife gave me the ok for something just to keep the tremors at bay, I bought a 1981 GL500 SilverWing naked. 10,880 miles--original paint--runs mostly on the right cylinder. Already found a melted wire connection. This thing is like working on a car. I love it! Rides great on Pro-Link (no Shocks).

Anyway, this isn't a Honda site, so you guys can type in GL500 and either admire or laugh--either is fine with me.

Guess who bought it. Boofer Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Sold the 650
Reply #1 - 08/28/16 at 17:41:24

Good luck with the new ride and glad to hear that you got another bike and will continue to ride.  I am also an older rider and have back problems.  I wear a simple elastic/velcro type back brace when I ride and it helps a lot.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/28/16 at 18:45:02

I'll laugh.. I laughed when Reelthing gave me the price for my bike. I like the GL500. I'll laugh because you're still riding. Kinda like a Guzzi.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 08/28/16 at 19:10:29

Those water cooled Honda 500s run forever 100k is very possible!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 08/29/16 at 16:14:58

Good Luck with the GL, boofer. Theres a lot to like about those bikes. I'm helping my daughter's boyfriend build a cafe racer from a cx, pretty much the same thing. I guess you've found the cx500 forum. They seem like a good bunch too.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 08/29/16 at 18:26:28

Those are some nice bikes.  There are a few engine seals that are now being listed as NLA.  Probably standard if you can find a dealer that sells seals and is willing to work with you.

Supposed to be quite comfortable touring from what I've heard. Just a little underpowered.

Have fun with it. Enjoy having enough room to move a little.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 08/29/16 at 21:41:12

Appreciate the kind words. Gizz, I have the '81 model with the transistorized ignition and timing chain problems fixed. The stator is also more of a problem with earlier models. Look up www.Genebit Systems. Check out ignition problems and charging problems. VERY detailed instructions, photos, and breakdown between the CX of every year and the GL, even up to the 650. I rode a CX a few years back in what has been a long search. I passed a couple up waiting for an '81 or newer. This one is unmolested with original paint and 10,880 miles. The 500s have 48 hp and have good power for passing but not drag racing.

Mine cranks at a touch but continues to run mostly on the right cylinder. Battery problems show the same symptoms as a clogged carb, and I will be replacing the battery Thursday and ride around with a little SeaFoam in the tank. Have not had time to check 35 yr old coils or even plug wires, but I expect the problem to be fairly simple.  Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/29/16 at 22:12:28

HondaGuzzi's ROCK!!!... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 08/29/16 at 23:16:14

Bot, Where I live it's easier to get parts for a 35 yr old Honda than a new Guzzi!  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/30/16 at 09:05:51

Thank you for your kind hospitality, a true Southern Gentleman, it was very much appreciated.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 08/30/16 at 19:42:43

Great to meet you and Versy. It's good to have a design engineer to figure out how to get 3 bikes on a 2 bike vehicle. I've had so many surgeries lately my mind is in slow motion. I wanted to show you my mint 1873 Springfield .45-70. Forgot it. Hope the route to Jackson, Tn worked for you guys.

My research showed that the Honda GL showed the same symptoms as a clogged carb from a weak battery. Versy's advice to use a little SeaFoam is exactly what I tried today just to get it in the bowls. New battery will be in tomorrow. Then I'll dig deeper after a shakedown run. I think I bought my last bike, one way or another. Since so many are being snapped up for cafe racers now, I want to leave it unmolested and original. I don't miss the Savage, because she was really hurtin' me. But boy she was great for a long time--even saved me once when I got the dreaded left turn in front of me. Rode her like a dirt bike. Somehow came out on the other side.

Versy, Lancer, ya'll come back, now.  Boofer

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/31/16 at 06:59:34

Boofer wrote on 08/30/16 at 19:42:43:
Great to meet you and Versy. It's good to have a design engineer to figure out how to get 3 bikes on a 2 bike vehicle. I've had so many surgeries lately my mind is in slow motion. I wanted to show you my mint 1873 Springfield .45-70. Forgot it. Hope the route to Jackson, Tn worked for you guys.

My research showed that the Honda GL showed the same symptoms as a clogged carb from a weak battery. Versy's advice to use a little SeaFoam is exactly what I tried today just to get it in the bowls. New battery will be in tomorrow. Then I'll dig deeper after a shakedown run. I think I bought my last bike, one way or another. Since so many are being snapped up for cafe racers now, I want to leave it unmolested and original. I don't miss the Savage, because she was really hurtin' me. But boy she was great for a long time--even saved me once when I got the dreaded left turn in front of me. Rode her like a dirt bike. Somehow came out on the other side.

Versy, Lancer, ya'll come back, now.  Boofer

I recall you did mention your Springfield.  You said it had been in the family a long time I believe.  In the midst of all the effort that went in to getting your bike on my truck and the time involved it seems we all forgot.  I would love to get back your way again.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/31/16 at 07:12:12

Antique guns and watches always seem to be valued by collectors for so much less than I think they should be worth. I do like seeing those things.
Antiques Roadshow and Pawn Stars are fun to watch sometimes. I think it's great when someone buys something at a garage sale for five bucks and it's worth fifty thousand..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #13 - 09/01/16 at 04:35:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/31/16 at 07:12:12:
Antique guns and watches always seem to be valued by collectors for so much less than I think they should be worth. I do like seeing those things.
Antiques Roadshow and Pawn Stars are fun to watch sometimes. I think it's great when someone buys something at a garage sale for five bucks and it's worth fifty thousand..

-----------------------------------

I love Antique Roadshow too. A buddy at work tried to convince me that all those items and situations are staged but I said that's bullsh_t. Some of them might be "planted" to make the show a little more interesting but I think for the most part, a lot of people just don't know what their grandma left in the attic and when they find out, they are shocked!! It's fun to see some of their faces when they learn that some ol' ugly lamp that's shaped like an avocado is worth $5K.   Grin

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/01/16 at 07:37:58

Who's laughing...now get to work. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home