Adjusted my valves. (Read 282 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Adjusted my valves.
08/26/16 at 15:13:17

I adjusted my valves to .004 in. Some were just slightly out of spec (.006). I've been having a hard time trusting that inch pound torque wrench. I tested it against the big one, but that's not a very good test. Before I used the torque wrench, seems like I got them quite a bit tighter. Now that I used the torque wrench at 96 inch pounds supposedly, I get less than 1/8 turn. Even using my hand carefully, I get less than 1/8 turn. Just checking to see if I'm doing something wrong. Don't want the valve tappets falling apart on the highway. Verslagen guessed 1/8-1/4 turn. Huh

The feeler gauges can be deceiving. They take awhile to get into position, and then they often hang for awhile before they go all the way in.

Do those valve cover bolts need lubrication/antiseize? I'm guessing the answer is no? Roll Eyes The o rings are kinda flattened, but they should work okay. Don't know if I got the valve covers back on in the correct order. Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Adjusted my valves.
Reply #1 - 08/26/16 at 15:26:03

Wait a minute! http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098848534

I saw that the "rocker arm shaft (exhaust) set bolt" gets 5.9-7.4 ft. lbs., which turns out lower than the 8 ft lbs I gave. It got me worried that I would have to do it again. However,
That list also shows that the "valve adjuster locknut" gets 9.6-11.8 ft. lbs. (115.2-141.6 in. lb.).

Which is correct? Verslagen said 6-8 ft.lbs.  Huh

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 08/26/16 at 15:32:34

Here we go again. You should be able to do a nut that small up by feel, by now. Why, with your mistrust of torque wrenches, are you doing that?
Using a feeler gauge is more of an art than a science. It takes practice to get the "feel".

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/26/16 at 16:01:44

Just because they List a torque for a threaded connector Doesn't mean you have to use a torque wrench.

You need to get some nuts and bolts and washers and put the head of a bolt in the vise and tighten up the nut till you tear it up.
Different sizes, a few of each.
Nuts and bolts are every day things. You act like each one is an alien creature.
Tighten stuff up, FEEL OF IT, and get on with life.
I was worried about the valve adjustment jam nuts the first few times, and I went back and checked them,  but Why would I
Do it Over?

And how can you Use a torque wrench and Not wonder if you changed the adjustment?
It's designed to be adjusted, the adjuster is to be Held as the jam nut is tightened.
And That action can open the adjustment as the threads are pulled tight, and, if you don't Hold the adjuster, it can turn and Tighten the valve lash.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 08/26/16 at 16:24:05

I'm thinking it takes a little more than 8 ft lbs. Huh I'm going by feel now... not even using it.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 08/26/16 at 16:39:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/26/16 at 16:01:44:
Just because they List a torque for a threaded connector Doesn't mean you have to use a torque wrench.

You need to get some nuts and bolts and washers and put the head of a bolt in the vise and tighten up the nut till you tear it up.
Different sizes, a few of each.
Nuts and bolts are every day things. You act like each one is an alien creature.
Tighten stuff up, FEEL OF IT, and get on with life.
I was worried about the valve adjustment jam nuts the first few times, and I went back and checked them,  but Why would I
Do it Over?

And how can you Use a torque wrench and Not wonder if you changed the adjustment?
It's designed to be adjusted, the adjuster is to be Held as the jam nut is tightened.
And That action can open the adjustment as the threads are pulled tight, and, if you don't Hold the adjuster, it can turn and Tighten the valve lash.

I appear  to be a chronic overthinker... OCD... overkiller.  Undecided

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 08/26/16 at 16:59:24

Now that I got all of the procedure done and the covers put back on, worry struck me that I might have given the locknuts just a little too much. :sigh:. I'm going to put the now copper-anti-seized spark plug back in and sleep on it. Undecided

Anybody had their valve tappets strip as they're going down the highway? Undecided Huh Is it something I need to worry about?

Cheap-the-worry-wart... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/26/16 at 17:04:51

I it's tighter than specified but it isn't destroyed, why touch it?
It's Okay to think, but practice being logical.
It's TIGHT, according to you and the specs.
It's Not Stripped.
So, WHY DIKK WITH IT?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 08/26/16 at 17:21:14

Meh... I reckon there's a place between just right and totally destroyed where the destruction comes but not till later. Undecided

Steel can withstand a certain amount of stress. Above that, it may not break immediately... but later. Aluminum will eventually break from stress no matter what...

... If I remember right. I wonder how aluminum threads last so long under constant tension. Huh

If you guys say it'll be okay... Undecided

Everything was pretty tight when I first loosened everything. The valve covers were pretty taught themselves. Of course, some of that probably works in over time. I doubt I could get everything that tight without hurting something. Back when I was trying the torque wrench, I tried to go to 120 inch lbs or so with the covers. It didn't feel right, so I stopped and backed off, realizing that I was dealing with soft aluminum. I wasn't going to have a repeat of the sprocket nut situation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/26/16 at 18:08:22

Use your hands. Use your brain.
Valve inspection covers have an O ring that protrudes from a groove and seals on the engine. Tight enough to press the rubber down and seal off, tight enough to keep the bolts from vibrating loose.
For the head bolts you need a torque wrench. I didn't use a torque wrench on the clutch. I just popped it o n with the impact.
I'm smart enough to NOT hammer it..
I just use a ratchet on the covers and head cover.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 08/26/16 at 18:24:51

I think all this increased awareness and worry about overtorquing has got my natural senses screwed up. I found myself tightening and loosening the spark plug repeatedly 'cause I can't seem to find where I want any more. Kept trying to get it 1/8 turn. (I reckon that's what you're supposed to do  Undecided). With the engine moving around and stuff, it's hard to tell.

My 10 mm offset wrench was really too long. I often didn't use quite the whole length so I wouldn't be as likely to hurt anything.

That didn't include all the messing around with the valve adjuster nuts and cover bolts. Undecided If it's not too tight or too loose, it's about wearing the threads out. Undecided Ughhh.... Roll Eyes

Maybe my OCD will settle down after some sleep.

And, yes, I stopped using the torque wrench.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/26/16 at 18:36:47

Stop with the OCD.
It's Your Choice to do or not do anything.
Put the plug in, put the tool up.
If you didn't strip the threads, IT'S IN.
If you didn't get it tight enough, what happens?
It's Not as bad as Too tight.

How many times do you stand up after wiping your butt, put the pants up, buckle the belt,, and head for the door, stop, go back, drop trousers,sit down and wipe again?
No?
That's ridiculous?
So is putting it together and taking it apart.

My SIL always had an excuse. He's in prison now. We stopped
Helping him.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 08/26/16 at 18:40:27

Grin About the butt wiping joke.

Alright... I'll try to get ahold of myself :grabs self:

We'll get this show on the road.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/26/16 at 18:44:43

It's not a joke, it's an illustration. It's me, trying to get you to take responsibility for your actions. Blaming doing goofy stuff on ocd is lame. It's a Rational Choice to pick up a wrench.
Put it together, stop.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 08/26/16 at 18:53:19

Sorry... Some of it was funny though.

Right... We'll get this thing put together.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:31:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusted my valves.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.