Send Topic Print
Fuel octane (Read 371 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Fuel octane
08/25/16 at 21:45:52

I know this is a topic that has been discussed before, but I have a 2006 s40 and over the past two years and 15,000 miles I've been using 93 octane, (other than my wallet) can this do damage to the bike?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel octane
Reply #1 - 08/25/16 at 21:53:04

Yes, but it's general knowledge that it takes twenty thousand miles to show up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/25/16 at 21:58:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/25/16 at 21:53:04:
Yes, but it's general knowledge that it takes twenty thousand miles to show up.

You are joking, right? Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/26/16 at 00:50:52

You've got 15,000 on it.

Problems?

http://community.cartalk.com/t/will-using-a-higher-octane-damage-my-engine/40120

Intelligently crafted search terms are your friends.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 08/26/16 at 03:00:59

Good question.
First of all, let's start with what is the octane rating?
All gasoline can burn fast.
All gasoline can explode.
In an engine, gasoline exploding is called 'Detonation'.
When gas becomes hot enough, it will explode. A particular gasoline's resistance to exploding is rated in octane.
By refining a gas further and throwing in some additives, the octane rating can be raised.
The gas in the engine can become overheated from many sources.
Very high compression-them more you compress the fuel/air mixture, the hotter it gets.
SO, higher compression motors run the risk of detonation with lower octane fuel.
Outside factors-ambient temperature or lack of cooling (sitting in traffic in the summer), can raise the motor temperature and cause detonation.
Incorrect fuel/air mixture, incorrect timing, tight valve clearances, incorrect oil will also make the motor run hotter.
A poorly designed combustion chamber will also promote detonation (way long explanation for that).
So, if a bike is prone to detonation, higher octane fuel may solve or reduce the problem.
Having said that, understand that the same fuel that is more resistant to exploding, is more resistant to igniting.
So, if a bike is happy on 89 octane beaver piss, using OhMyGodItsSoHigh octane fuel, may make the bike harder to start, run worse, and leave more unburned crap in the combustion chamber.
So, I run the lowest octane the bike is happy with. Oftentimes, brand name gas stations put additives in their fuel to make them work better (detergents, etc), so I usually buy brand name gas from a station that moves a lot of gas (selling more fuel means the stuff has less time to sit in the underground tank and get nasty).

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/26/16 at 04:24:21

And....the Premium fuel sells far less quickly at the gas stations - so it has been stored longer at the gas station and is not as fresh as the regular grades.  I did a fuel test of several fuels.....and the Premium would deteriorate sooner.

So.....you will generally get fresher fuel if you use the regular grades.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 08/26/16 at 05:20:47

To further clarify, the difference between burning fast and exploding is that the piston (big lump of metal) can only accelerate so fast. A fast moving flame front (burn) will push the piston away and make power. An explosion happens so fast that all the energy shock loads the piston and just gets everything real hot and nasty.

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/26/16 at 06:48:02

So if I do have a bit of carbon build up, which fuel additive would you guess recommend to clear it up? I've also read something one day that someone was using seafoam in their jeep, and it removed so much carbon that the carbon got caught in between the valve and the seat and cracked the valve. Is something like this possible?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 08/26/16 at 09:29:45

Redryder,
First step is to get the jetting as close as possible, or you'll be building up more and more carbon.
And make sure you aren't burning oil.
I've used StarTron, others use Sea Foam, and there are other fuel treatments out there.
Never heard of a valve cracking the way you described.
Most exciting way I've seen anyone decarbonize was to warm up the bike with a nice hard ride, park it, set a fan in front of the motor, and spray water  through the carb. Makes for some real excitement, but if you can keep the motor alive the water turns to steam and steam cleans the combustion chamber.
Dump some of the magic chemicals in the tank first (Sea Foam, etc).

Can't overemphasize the correct jetting thing. I'd say 90% of the Harleys and Bonnies I see have soft soot coating the inside of the mufflers. If they bother to check, most will admit they get around 30 MPG  Shocked

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/26/16 at 10:34:13

My jetting is good, 152.5 main with the white spacer, stock pilot 47.5 iirc, I remember pulling the plug not too long ago and sticking an inspection camera in, and there was just a little bit of carbon on the piston. The plug looked good, not chalky. Would it make that much of a difference to rejet after changing fuel octane?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 08/26/16 at 11:42:56

Prob not.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 08/26/16 at 11:46:35

You'll always have some carbon build up over time.  Since your's didn't look bad and your plug looks good, what's the problem?  

No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.  Put lower octane in and ride along.  Smiley

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/26/16 at 11:49:58

That's what I plan on doing. Smiley

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 08/26/16 at 13:17:48

Armen wrote on 08/26/16 at 09:29:45:
Most  exciting way I've seen anyone decarbonize was to warm up the bike with a nice hard ride, park it, set a fan in front of the motor, and spray water  through the carb.

Don't hydro lock the engine! You could crack the piston! A fine mist might be ok but don't use the power wash setting on your water hose.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/26/16 at 18:14:31

Whoa, whoa, whoa,,

You don't KNOW if you have a problem.
Run it on regular, see how it goes.
Don't FIX anything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel octane

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.