Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running out of gas with plenty of gas in tank? (Read 118 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running out of gas with plenty of gas in tank?
08/24/16 at 15:27:54

This happened to me twice, first time when I first got the bike and today on my way to work. Both times the bike started chocking on me and stalled shortly after. Today it was on the highway and it was a very unpleasant experience.

Both times I was able to top it off with roughly 2 gallons, which means there is a good .8 gallon left in the tank (I believe out tank is 2.8 gallons). Just from looking into the tank there was a decent amount of gas in there.

When it happened for the first time, the bike didn't even want to run on reserve. This morning however I was able to prime it, switch to reserve and make it to a gas station that was about a mile away.

Is this normal? Also, I'm getting roughly 40-45mpg city, is that what I should expect from this bike?

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Running out of gas with plenty of gas in tank?
Reply #1 - 08/24/16 at 16:07:47

If you have the original petcock then that is the most probable source of your problem.   A raptor petcock will cure that. A cheap and quick fix.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 08/24/16 at 16:58:14

If you don't go to the raptor, check your petcock vacuum hose for cracking or splits on the hose or ends. Any leak will not let the petcock diaphragm open fully, especially at speed. May want to open up the TEV where the vacuum hose goes into the carb. Those three screws and little cover. Check the tiny passage you will see but be careful not to mess up the diaphragm in there or let it spring out on you when you open it. It is spring loaded so keep a finger on it and release slowly.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/24/16 at 17:41:56

Och,There is an old expression I tend to keep in mind,NEVER PASS GAS! If you are only getting 40 mpg ,that"s 80 miles to reserve,and then 24miles to empty. A raptor will give you88miles to reserve, but only 16 miles to empty. IT,s a juggle not a cure ,both will only give you 104 miles !  40 mpg seems pretty low for our bikes ,depending on how yours is tuned/built I'd be trying some smaller jets , I'm running a main jet two sizes larger(150)and avg. 48-50 mpg, there are stock bikes getting 50-60 .Sorry I read through some of your earlier posts ,I forgot you're running that "barn door" windshield that's what's killing your mileage .

« Last Edit: 08/24/16 at 18:51:19 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/24/16 at 17:44:18

Och,

You might want to check to see if the fuel cap is venting properly.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 08/24/16 at 17:56:48

batman wrote on 08/24/16 at 17:41:56:
there are stock bikes getting 50-60 .

Mine got 73 when stock. I'm getting 55-60 now.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/07/16 at 15:31:43

Installed the Yamaha Raptor petcock today. Do I need to switch it to off every time I park the bike?

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 09/07/16 at 15:46:36

YES you should turn it off just as a safety factor.     IF the carburetor float isn't working properly it would allow gas to overflow into the air box and/or the cylinder (polluting the oil).    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/07/16 at 15:57:42

old.indian wrote on 09/07/16 at 15:46:36:
YES you should turn it off just as a safety factor.     IF the carburetor float isn't working properly it would allow gas to overflow into the air box and/or the cylinder (polluting the oil).    

How likely is that to happen? I'm afraid of getting on the bike and forgetting to turn it back on, and then the bike dying on me on a busy highway.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/07/16 at 17:53:38

och wrote on 09/07/16 at 15:57:42:
old.indian wrote on 09/07/16 at 15:46:36:

How likely is that to happen? I'm afraid of getting on the bike and forgetting to turn it back on, and then the bike dying on me on a busy highway.

by the time you get 2 blocks it's outta gas.  if you're on the hiway by then, your nuts... somebody's byline on here was 'don't let her scream til her throat is warm' or something like that.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/07/16 at 17:58:11

Got it, thanks everyone!

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #11 - 09/07/16 at 18:24:37

Turning the gas "on" is a part of the ritual of starting the bike...Mine is
#1 Get on bike and bike vertical #2 petcock to "on" #3 Ignition "ON" #4 check Neutral light is "on" #5 Engage clutch and press starter button Warmup bike for x amount of time.. Up Kick stand and engage 1st gear...(Note: My S40 does not require choke to fire up..)   I follow this "ritual" whether I'm taking the motorcycle out of the garage or a gas station. And when ever I stop / park the bike I shift into neutral, kickstand down, gas OFF, key off, allow bike to rest on kickstand, get off bike.....
It might seem OCDC , but.....      

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 09/07/16 at 19:13:37

Sometimes, you might wanna park it in gear... Say... to keep it from rolling off a cliff!  Grin

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:07:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running out of gas with plenty of gas in tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.