Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Guess What I Got Today??? (Read 254 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Re: Guess What I Got Today???
Reply #15 - 08/22/16 at 04:35:36

That's a nice looking bike, bud. I hope you have a blast running it around!! I've never been on a sport bike before but I'd sure like to try it sometime. And yeah, I agree with jcstokes..... don't worry about cool. Just enjoy the differences between the two bikes and have fun.   Cool

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 08/22/16 at 04:44:45

RaleighGuy wrote on 08/22/16 at 04:35:36:
I've never been on a sport bike before but I'd sure like to try it sometime.

By the current standards....the early Ninja 250 and 500 are not sport bikes.  The seating position, peg and handlebar location are not nearly as aggressive as the modern sport bikes.....and they are really pretty comfortable for us smaller riders.  You sit a lot more upright on these older bikes......you don't lean nearly as far over the fuel tank as you would on a modern sport bike.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 08/22/16 at 04:52:08

RaleighGuy wrote on 08/22/16 at 04:35:36:
You sit a lot more upright on these older bikes......you don't lean nearly as far over the fuel tank as you would on a modern sport bike.  

-------------------------------------------

Oh, ok. Thanks Dave. Didn't know that. In that case, I'll definitely have to try one out. I thought most all of those Ninjas were considered "sport" but that's the main reason I haven't considered one before. I didn't think my back could take the constant leaning for an hour or more but I'm 5'6" just like Stew so maybe it wouldn't be too terrible.

Is the design significantly different on the newer models? I noticed that SteveH mentioned the body style changed quite a lot after 2007.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 08/22/16 at 05:06:00

Early 250 Ninja:
(Note handlebars are higher than the top of the fuel tank).

Later 250 Ninja:
(Note handlebars are below the top of the fuel tank).

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #19 - 08/22/16 at 05:10:40

Wow, that seat did a major dive and dipped down, didn't it? And the tank sticks WAAAAY up in the air in later years.

Sorry Stew, didn't mean to hijack your topic. But no wonder you choose an '07 model.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 08/22/16 at 07:20:17

I always refered to my 500 Ninja as a sport-ee commuter bike, rather than a sport bike, although the insurance guys say otherwise

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #21 - 08/22/16 at 07:32:18

Yep...I have one of those nets on my Savage and he also threw one in with the Ninja.  

I intend to leave it just as is unless I need to make any sensible modifications for better running and/or longevity.  Other than that, I went ahead and spent a bit more than I originally planned (was looking for a cheap fixer upper) for a clean running bike versus a fixer upper so I could enjoy it and not be in the shop wrenching on it all the time...and making my wife mad  Angry   She'd rather me have this bike that works.

Bike cleaned up real good.  Only notable blemish (that I knew about before buying) is the one you see on the faring under the handlebar, which I may source an auto paint pen that matches as close as I can find and at least cover the exposed area to prevent any chipping on the raw paint edge. Looked for matching paint online and it seems hard to find, and I can't see paying $60...just seems a bit much.

Ninja_250.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 08/22/16 at 07:35:16

RaleighGuy wrote on 08/22/16 at 05:10:40:
Sorry Stew, didn't mean to hijack your topic. But no wonder you choose an '07 model.

No worries!  Bring it on...we're all learning some good stuff here. I'm new to the Ninja talk too  Wink

Yes, I do agree that the sitting position is comfy. I haven't tried one, but I don't think I would be as happy with a newer one that requires you to be in a more aggressive forward leaning position. I don't want that.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 08/22/16 at 10:32:23

Way to go Stew. Enjoy it.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 08/22/16 at 10:59:35

I guess the SavageForum needs to have a Ninja 250 gathering at the Dragon.....Summer 2017?

And......we can go 300+ miles between stops for fuel!

(And....it is not appropriate for the Savage Faithful to refer to us as "whiners".....the little engine just needs to be wound up a bit before it will do anything.  Just when the 650 Thumper is running out of steam.....the little Ninja motor is starting to make some power on the way up to 14,000 rpm where the 30 Horsies are corralled).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/22/16 at 11:59:03

I never said you whined -- I said your little engine did, but it did keep ahead and up front and that is all that counts.

Grin      I may get me a Vulcan S with the same RPM redline number, just to have me a tonal harmony ability.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 08/22/16 at 12:15:48

Just stay away form the fresh tar snakes....the little Ninja's don't like them!

Last month when we were riding through GA, we were on the same road with those nasty tar snakes that made the Ninja jump sideways, and my Savage Cafe' bike didn't even care and was stable as can be.  I mentioned that to the fellow who rides down there all the time, and he blamed it on the little 16" rims/tires on the Ninjette.  That is the only time the little bike has surprised me so far.........

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #27 - 08/22/16 at 12:55:45

So is there a solution for the tar snakes such as a fork brace for stability, or is it just something in the way the Ninjette is different and it is what it is?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 08/22/16 at 13:49:55

stewmills wrote on 08/22/16 at 12:55:45:
So is there a solution for the tar snakes such as a fork brace for stability, or is it just something in the way the Ninjette is different and it is what it is?

I am not sure there is on the Ninjette.....I think the tiny little front tire has a small footprint, and the tar snakes can take up a lot of that area.  I only ever noticed a problem once, in Georgia on 76 going into Haiwassee....the tar snakes appeared to be very fresh and they where squishy and a bit "proud" of the surface....and I just had to stay off them when cornering or the bike would just jump sideways until the tires were on the pavement again.  It might have just been a fluke related to those fresh snakes......I have never noticed it being a problem anywhere else - but I rode them 2 days in a row and it behaved the same way both days.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #29 - 08/22/16 at 14:07:36

Cool. I'll try to pay attention when I stumble upon some of them and see if I can tell anything.  At minimum I know now to be cautious.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:37:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Guess What I Got Today???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.