Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unbearable wind noise with OEM windshield? (Read 133 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Unbearable wind noise with OEM windshield?
08/19/16 at 20:06:01

I bought an OEM windshield for my 2013 S40, followed installation instructions (which are very straight forward) and now I'm having terrible wind noise. Basically above 30mph it gets really bad, it pretty much drones out my Harley exhaust! I though windshield were supposed to reduce wind noise?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Unbearable wind noise with OEM windshield?
Reply #1 - 08/19/16 at 21:20:50

I recently installed the oem windshield and all I've noticed is a bit less buffeting, not a lot but enough to make the installation worthwhile. I use an open face with a flip up visor and I specifically wanted to knock down the wind noise and that's exactly what it did.

The gf thinks that she does get a tiny bit of extra wind noise. Maybe you happen to be at a particular height that just doesn't work, we are both 5'7"

However unless you are much taller, maybe you want to double check the installation, I found it a bit awkward to follow. Also are the clamps that connect to the forks tightened up so there is no space left?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/20/16 at 04:40:47

I'm 6'4 and I use full face helmet. I think that might be the culprit. I should probably get a much bigger windshield.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/20/16 at 04:42:33

I ride with a full face helmet, and some windshields can direct a strong air flow right at the vents on top of my helmet.  With an open face helmet there is no noise at all.  And with the full face helmet when things are really loud I can open the face shield and the loud noise goes away - as the top vents on the helmet get covered by the open shield and stop functioning.

Take your hand and see where the wind from the top of the windshield goes - it it is hitting the top of your helmet....that is where the wind noise could be coming from.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/20/16 at 11:15:55

Dave wrote on 08/20/16 at 04:42:33:
I ride with a full face helmet, and some windshields can direct a strong air flow right at the vents on top of my helmet.  With an open face helmet there is no noise at all.  And with the full face helmet when things are really loud I can open the face shield and the loud noise goes away - as the top vents on the helmet get covered by the open shield and stop functioning.

Take your hand and see where the wind from the top of the windshield goes - it it is hitting the top of your helmet....that is where the wind noise could be coming from.

Thank you, I will experiment with that!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/20/16 at 11:20:04

Just thought of one more question that has to do with the windshield. When I bought the bike, they dealer put NY inspection sticker onto one of the forks, but now it is completely covered by the windshield bracket that goes around the fork.

I guess I need a new sticker - should I put the new one somewhere on the windshield, like I would on a car? Also, should any registered auto repair shop be able to give me inspection sticker, or do I need to go to a specialized motorcycle inspection station?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/20/16 at 17:36:57

Anyone with a sticker with
NY
on it NEEDS severe buffeting until he figures out
Gee, I need to move south..

Seriously, will you get stopped?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 08/20/16 at 17:55:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/20/16 at 17:36:57:
Anyone with a sticker with
NY
on it NEEDS severe buffeting until he figures out
Gee, I need to move south..

Seriously, will you get stopped?

SmileyOff your meds AGAIN ????   NOTE: We need to re-name you "Grumpy Old Phart "
About the question regarding "motor cycle stickers", some states they are on the front fork and other states have them on the license plate.  Normally only a motorcycle shop can inspect and issue them.
Wind noise.... I use ear plugs,,   (They work well around Texans as an additional benefit.... Roll Eyes      

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/20/16 at 17:59:16

I tend to get a "sheet flapping" noise with most windshields, when they are mounted as instructed...(following the angle of the forks)...
Using spacers to set it slightly more vertical, fixes the issue...
Less buffeting, less "sheet flapping"...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/20/16 at 18:29:56

If I don't watch what I eat I get some pretty serious
Sheet Flapping at night.
I don't think
Moving South
would be a good answer, at All.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 08/21/16 at 16:52:49

I'm 6'4 and I use full face helmet.

Yep, that'd be the problem. However I'd maybe worry a bit if adding another 9 or 10 inches to the height may affect the handling significantly seeing as it's such a light bike. Being so tall I was wondering if you have the uprights that hold the handlebar turned towards you or away, not that it would lower your height that much I suppose.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 08/21/16 at 17:14:55

Have a, non OEM,  Windshield on.
Am 6.3.   Set it to:  ‘can See 2” over the top’
And angle of forks.
3/4 helmet W/Face shield.
Any Bugs hit the top of my helmet,
and no, ‘wind’, buffing or noise.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/21/16 at 18:24:17

Minimum spring... Is that the same as hard knocks?   Grin

You might give him a pic to help on adjustment.

You try lowering the windshield or your helmet... Whichever is easier.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/21/16 at 19:09:51

och wrote on 08/20/16 at 11:20:04:
Just thought of one more question that has to do with the windshield. When I bought the bike, they dealer put NY inspection sticker onto one of the forks, but now it is completely covered by the windshield bracket that goes around the fork.

I guess I need a new sticker - should I put the new one somewhere on the windshield, like I would on a car? Also, should any registered auto repair shop be able to give me inspection sticker, or do I need to go to a specialized motorcycle inspection station?

Most car inspection stations in NY don't bother with MC inspections so they wont have the stickers.You are probably going have to go to a MC dealer or repair shop. There are some places that do both but they are kind of scarce.

From the NYS inspection regs:

"ALL MOTORCYCLES REGISTERED IN NEW YORK STATE must be inspected and display an inspection sticker on the left front side of the motorcycle attached to a structural member. Bolt on plates may be used."

Almost everyone puts the sticker on the left lower fork leg. I've never seen a sticker on a Motorcycle windshield here.

IP Logged
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/21/16 at 19:48:42

och wrote on 08/20/16 at 11:20:04:

Hi Och, I am a new S40 owner and also from nyc, and I'm looking to possibly upgrade my muffler setup. I tried PM you directly, but the site won't allow it until I post 10 times. I was just wondering if there is anyway we can hook up so that I can look at your setup to see if it is the right sound that i'm looking for.

Thx, Laiby.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unbearable wind noise with OEM windshield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.