Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike randomly stalls on decel full stop (Read 98 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Bike randomly stalls on decel full stop
08/19/16 at 11:08:11

Bike is all original, including petcock. Petcock completely rebuilt last year. Rejetted 4 years ago as noted in footer. Runs perfectly fine nearly all of the time at putt putt and at speed, and when running around town starting and stopping. Idle is up, (don't have exact RPM) just shy of being too high in my opinion. Fresh fuel. Carb spic-n-span. Relatively new vacuum hose on petcock that's been there for about a month with no issue (this issue occurred with the old vacuum line too, so I rule this out). TEV clean.

As I was riding today about 50mph in 4th for about 3 miles straight, I start to slow down at my driveway and disengage the clutch (pull the lever) as usual and downshift as usual even with my rate of speed (not engine braking...clutch remains disengaged).  As the wind noise in my FF helmet decreases enough for me to notice, I notice that the engine has completely dropped below idle and stopped running. I would guess it happened within 3-5 seconds of disengaging the clutch.  Pulled into the driveway and had to spin it and play with the throttle to get it to crank and run, and from there it ran fine up to the house (1/4 mile).  

This has happened before at random times...I would guess once in every ten of the days I ride. Note that today is very muggy, 90+ degrees, and super high humidity. Could this be caused by the ridiculous humidity and I may need to open up the air/mix a little?  

Yeah, I know about the Raptor so don't go there. I get it.  I prefer stock because I like the protection of not flooding the bike if my float or needle fail and that's just my preference.  Noting that I am not interested in converting to the Raptor, is this just probably an air/mix situation or are you all going to hammer on my and tell me to put it on prime, go for a ride, etc....and go buy a Raptor?

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike randomly stalls on decel full stop
Reply #1 - 08/19/16 at 11:40:08

Just to rule out the petcock.  Why don't you block off the vacuum line, and run with the petcock on prime for a day or two.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/19/16 at 12:01:04

The bike stalls in this instances - because the closed throttle temporarily makes a lean condition as the engine is slowing down to idle speed.  There is just a brief second when the speed drops below a normal idle speed, then as the mixture becomes normal the idle speed returns.

You might be just a hair lean at idle...you could try opening up the mixture screw 1/4 turn and see if anything changes.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 08/19/16 at 12:09:06

I can definitely do that, but it's so darn random that I think I will have to run on prime for good handful of rides...but I can do that.

So if I run it on prime, I just need to make sure I turn it back to RUN when I leave it sitting to eliminate flooding if the float or needle fail, right?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/19/16 at 12:38:04

Yep, turning the petcock back to RUN closes off the diaphragm and shut off fuel flow....unless the engine is running and creates a vacuum.

The "PRI" setting moves a little lever over....and manually holds the diaphragm open.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/19/16 at 13:31:27

Stew, you can remember to turn the stock back to run but you can't remember to turn a raptor to off?now that's funny!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 08/19/16 at 14:30:19

batman wrote on 08/19/16 at 13:31:27:
Stew, you can remember to turn the stock back to run but you can't remember to turn a raptor to off?now that's funny!

I knew that was coming!!!  Point for Batman.

I can remember, but only temporarily...Must have been all the drugs in the '60s.  (just kidding...I wasn't born then  Wink)

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/19/16 at 16:34:50

Stew,

It has been my experience that if the engine stalls when decelerating the TEV valve needs cleaned and there is a tiny passage that gets clogged which can be blown out with compressed air. I use one of the little air tanks for cleaning computers.....

If you do clean the TEV again make sure to use only warm soapy water.

I usually speed up the idle slightly to help correct the stalling when it is very humid.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/19/16 at 17:20:29

Kenny, wouldn't blowing compressed air into the carb possibly rupture the diaphragm or is this passage you refer to not connected to the diaphragm chamber?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 08/19/16 at 18:35:51

I know there's been gas in peoples oil but it's often been because of bad diaphragm in the stock petcock,but how many have had the float valve stick open? My raptor is on right now and I don't usually turn it off ,20 years no problem, am I lucky or dumb?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 08/19/16 at 18:55:34

batman wrote on 08/19/16 at 18:35:51:
I know there's been gas in peoples oil but it's often been because of bad diaphragm in the stock petcock,but how many have had the float valve stick open? My raptor is on right now and I don't usually turn it off ,20 years no problem, am I lucky or dumb?

Dumb luck  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/19/16 at 19:23:28

batman wrote on 08/19/16 at 18:35:51:

yes, but that takes skill.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/19/16 at 19:51:07

Stew I new that was coming! you owed me one

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 08/19/16 at 20:44:49

Kris,

Where you blow the air will not effect the diaphragm. I usually blow the passage out while the diaphragm is soaking in warm soapy water.

Some where on the forum there is a drawing of the carburetor and you will see the small passage showing on the TEV.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 08/19/16 at 22:08:17

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:29:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike randomly stalls on decel full stop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.