Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Draining the drain hose breather (Read 138 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Draining the drain hose breather
08/18/16 at 15:10:13

I have been reading on this Savage website about the drain hose breather that is visible at the bottom of the bike.

After a few long trips, I decided to pull the plug at the end of the hose to see what waste residue had collected  (the drain hose came with a plug at the end of the hose).  There was up to an ounce of thin oily residue waste.  From this website, I read that this is quite normal, especially with freeway speed driving.

These are my questions:

I couldn't find anything in the Suzuki user manual or shop manual about draining the breather drain hose (I may have just missed it, but I sure couldn't find anything about it).  I assume that if I didn't pull the plug, the liquid waste would accumulate in the hose until it would reach the upper end of the hose and consequently contaminate whatever the upper end of the hose is attached to.  This seems to me not a good thing!  What would have happened if the waste residue would have continued to accumulate?

I did see a 'cleaning/inspection' write up about the drain hose in the Clymer's manual.  But it didn't say how often to drain it.  How often do you pull the plug to drain the hose?

Finally, would it hurt to just not put the plug back into the bottom of the hose, and just let the waste residue fall to the ground as it is produced, rather than plugging the hose back up where it will then start collecting again?  Seems simpler to me.

Thanks for your help.

Ron G

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Draining the drain hose breather
Reply #1 - 08/18/16 at 15:20:18

Then,.. it'll drip in yer' driveway...
It's a good habit to drain it, every oil change...
It's the habit part that's good... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/18/16 at 18:29:10

Another problem with leaving the cap off...is it will allow unfiltered air to flow up into the carb inlet.

It is best to use the plug as it is supposed to be used.....drain it when you change the oil.

If you didn't drain it, it would take a very long time for too much oil/water to flood the air cleaner box.....but it is best to drain it instead of ignoring it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 08/18/16 at 19:03:54

Serowbot wrote on 08/18/16 at 15:20:18:
It's a good habit to drain it, every oil change...

Yup!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 08/18/16 at 19:55:25

FWIW, when I worked at a Honda dealer in the 70's they sent out a service bulletin warning that the most carcinogenic chemical we could deal with on the bikes was the jiz coming out of that breather tube.
Put on your Nitrile gloves, boys and girls, when you empty that hose  Tongue

Overfilling the oil usually loads up the airbox faster. As does running the motor balls out for extended periods of time.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/19/16 at 01:42:56

warning that the most carcinogenic chemical we could deal with on the bikes was the jiz coming out of that breather tube.

Hmmm,,  makes a naturally curious guy like me ask
Howcumdatiz?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 08/19/16 at 17:12:19

Most petroleum products are carcinogenic. I think even changing your oil is supposed to be bad for you.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/21/16 at 15:06:59

Thanks for your input and help.  Answers my questions.

Ron G

IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #8 - 08/21/16 at 23:37:22

Chiming in late... but after flooding the air box with fuel from the carb overflowing twice, I decided to leave the plug out and just let it barf whenever it wants.  Isn't the drain before the filter?  So anything that could get sucked in through the drain tube would just get filtered out before hitting the carb?  Or should I put the plug back in?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/22/16 at 01:57:34

Arcreefer wrote on 08/21/16 at 23:37:22:
Chiming in late... but after flooding the air box with fuel from the carb overflowing twice, I decided to leave the plug out and just let it barf whenever it wants.  Isn't the drain before the filter?  So anything that could get sucked in through the drain tube would just get filtered out before hitting the carb?  Or should I put the plug back in?

Put the plug back in.  The breather hose connects to the front of the air box, between the carb and filter.  Vapors are sucked into the engine through the carb inlet without going through the air filter, liquid crap just drops to the bottom of the air box, and is drained out the tube.  When you don't put the cap back on, you are bypassing the air filter and sucking in a small amount of dirt air....so whatever dust the front wheel kicks up goes past the end of that tube.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #10 - 08/22/16 at 10:31:37

All this modern stuff of putting the breather into the air box to get filtered and have the oil drain out.

Back in in the '60's, I had a Ducati 250 Scrambler. The Ducati standard was to stick a 3/4" diameter 3 foot log clear plastic hose on the crankcase breather (down on the crankcase and not up on the head) and route the hose up along the frame and along the rear fender mounting frame tube. The hose ended at the back of the bike. No filter, just an open plastic tube.

The hose was long enough and angled up at such an angle that it was too high for oil to get blown out the hose. Probably also the volume of the hose was greater than the cylinder displacement, so I don't think the air getting huffed and puffed up and down the hose ever really made if from the outlet to the crankcase.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 08/22/16 at 14:49:22

Bobert,the problem with the set up on the ducati was that none of the "stuff" that comes out our puke tube (blowby from the rings) ever left the crank case either,but stayed in the motor.In the 60's ,if I can remember them,oil changes were more often,like every 600miles,that may have been one of the reasons.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Draining the drain hose breather

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.