Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Another won't start thread (Read 259 times)
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Another won't start thread
08/18/16 at 06:26:07

Hi there. As the title says, my bike won't start. It's an 87. I push the start button and I hear the decomp, starter solenoid and the starter spins. It only spins a couple times and then click click click. I checked voltage on battery and it was 12.7v. I hooked the battery up to my Land Rover and the same condition. Voltage to the starter is 12.4v. I pulled the plug and the starter will spin the engine. I can push it and let out the clutch and it will start and run. I have a brand new starter and starter solenoid (read that as I put in yesterday). I looked at the starter gear when I had the starter off and they looked just fine.

Any thoughts on a course of action? I don't want to throw parts at it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Another won't start thread
Reply #1 - 08/18/16 at 07:31:41

Electrons must be able to flow from the battery, through the starter and back. Sounds like dirty connections to me. Hit the starter for a few seconds and feel around the solenoid, starter, ground on case, if you can feel a warm spot, check the connections. Resistance to current flow creates heat.
Since you have bypassed everything else by hooking up cables, check out the big ground connection on the side case, kinda up behind your right ankle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/18/16 at 07:38:40

Thanks for the quick response. I will double check when I return home in a little while and report back.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/18/16 at 08:31:07

Ground is tight and not corroded. I tested continuity with multimeter and checks out ok. It does feel warm to touch after I crank on it several times.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/18/16 at 10:14:20

Ohms at zero amps is one thing... If it's warm, it's resistive.
Take it apart, clean it up. Might not be the problem, but it's easy and if it's getting warm, it's not exactly a good connection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/18/16 at 10:26:15

Thank you so much for your help so far.I went ahead and cleaned it and ran another ground wire. Still the same condition. I got my wife to hold the multimeter to the battery while I press the button. The meter drops from 12.45v to around 6v. Is that normal? I took my battery to O'Reilly's yesterday and they said it was fine. Even when hooked to my truck it show's the voltage drop. This has been a fun one the past couple days  Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/18/16 at 11:17:25

No, sir, that is not at All normal. Did you happen to run the starter motor for more than just a few seconds?
It's not supposed to suck so much current flow as to drop the battery voltage so much. I'm thinking it's the starter motor.

I'm ready for anyone else to throw this guy a bone..
I'm pretty sure I'm tracking right, but if anyone has a clue..
I'm ready..

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/18/16 at 11:30:52

I will take any bone that anyone throws!

Again thank you so much for your time. The starter motor wont run for more than a few seconds until it starts clicking.  It is a brand new starter as the previous starter was acting similarly and then wouldn't spin at all. I replaced it literally yesterday. I touched the post on the starter with the jumper cables and it has the same condition through the switch.

All the while it is still hooked up to my Land Rover. When I left earlier today I plugged it to my battery charger.

Not sure what else to look for at this point.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/18/16 at 11:42:03

Don't overcharge the battery.

Why did you replace the starter?
Did you have it tested?

Details about what you have done matter.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/18/16 at 11:48:23

The starter had the same symptoms as I am having now and then wouldn't make any noise at all. I tried to touch the jumper to it and still no spin or noise. I took it apart and the brushes were in pieces and had locked it up. It was definitely toast. At the same time that I replaced the starter I changed the solenoid.

I will pull the starter out and check it again.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/18/16 at 12:12:34

Just pulled the new starter and it is operating as usual when I have it hooked up to 12v source. I double checked the gear that you can see  when you pull the starter. No teeth missing and it is able to spin CCW as you are looking at it. I put a screwdriver to it CW and it is hard to turn but it will turn with pressure.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/18/16 at 12:36:01

I'd be inclined to get the starter tested.

I wonder Why did the brushes break.
Did you run it hard?
Starters don't like extended use.
Magnets tend to break, brushes, never seen that.

You can connect straight to the starter motor and ground and SEE what it does.
Better be in neutral.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/18/16 at 12:36:19

I think I am going to pull the battery again and take it to Auto Zone and let them check it. I'm not sure if it really is good like the guy at O'Reilly's said. He told me he checked it at 220CA and it was great. I do not understand how it can drop half voltage when I press the button and still be able to spin enough to start it.

I wanted to double check I am not going more nuts than normal. I bump started it and it started up fine. Makes me believe that the engine is not preventing the starter from spinning.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/18/16 at 12:38:57

Sorry I misspoke. It was the magnet rather than brushes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/18/16 at 12:49:36

Get the starter tested

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:17:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another won't start thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.