Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Another won't start thread (Read 259 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Another won't start thread
Reply #30 - 08/19/16 at 14:28:15

Happybandit wrote on 08/19/16 at 10:38:24:
I pulled the tank off to make sure the decomp was adjusted properly. Other than that, I haven't done any work to it.

Did you mess with it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 08/19/16 at 15:07:17

batman wrote on 08/19/16 at 14:00:33:
He said he adjusted the decomp,it may not be opening the exhaust valves at all,and the starter working overtime?he's jumping it with a truck battery and it's turning the motor over slowly?If  the starter is stoping after only three revs  I'd be checking to see if the exhaust valves are opening at all.

If the starter has gone 3 revs (since you can only hear it huff once in 2 revs, this is actually 6 revs) the decomp adjustment is fine.

If the starter stalls on the 1st rev, then you got a problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #32 - 08/19/16 at 22:32:19

Auto Zoned doesn't know what the hell they are talking about! If the battery drops to 6 volts then THE BATTERY IS SHOT!!!

It won't start with 6 volts no way no how.

I think you are performing brain surgery on a hangnail!

REPLACE THE BATTERY!!! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 08/20/16 at 00:08:22

Depends on the LOAD. Battery Could be good, but won't be for long.
The car battery doesn't work, either.
Test voltage with start button pushed, without the starter wire connected.

DO THAT. By b
I don't CARE if nobody else sees why.

Don't let it short out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/20/16 at 06:02:04

Sorry I have been busy the past couple days. I'm an audio engineer and am out of town with a band until tomorrow. I will definitely test without the starter connected. Hopefully I will be able to record a video and show you guys what it sounds like. That may be very helpfull for you guys to hear it. Thank you all for your help in this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 08/20/16 at 06:04:33

It's not gonna be making much racket without the starter motor hookup.

That would be interesting to hear,,

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #36 - 08/20/16 at 06:33:42

Following on from what Dave suggested earlier, have you tried removing the spark plug and grounding it to the engine while trying to start the bike to see if there is enough juice to provide a spark while turning the starer motor?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 08/20/16 at 06:55:33

Removing the plug is not an accurate test.
Without the load of compression the electronics don't see the voltage drop, which we have seen is significant.
And, he can bump start it, so, it does spark. But not at six volts.
Let's find out if there is a parallel load somewhere that's dropping the battery voltage. I doubt it but it's gotta be checked.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 08/20/16 at 12:16:54

I have tested with the plug removed. There is a spark when I ground the plug. I may be paranoid but it may be a weak spark.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #39 - 08/20/16 at 15:28:21

You can't ignore the 6 volt issue. You may have bad battery cables. The crimps are loose? If there's resistance at all then all the current will dissipate there and not go to the starter motor. Basic troubleshooting should get to the root. You can't ignore 50 years of experience and expertise. You get all kinds of things to try but did you check the most basic things first? Cool

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 08/20/16 at 16:07:32

I understand what you are saying. I can touch the post on the starter with jumper cables from my truck and it still does the same thing.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #41 - 08/20/16 at 16:29:29

You are saying the starter motor makes a clicking noise after a few revs? Pull it apart and check the field magnets for cracking or pulverized. Check the armature for burned coils and the brushes making good contact. If you are using good jumper cables and still have the same issue then the starter motor is cooked or the internal starter gear is jamming (cracked case)? Try running the starter motor out of the engine for a few seconds. How does it sound?

You say a new starter as in different or brand new? Get another one if covered by warranty. I've purchased a brand new starter off Ebay for $89. ish and they work great. Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 08/20/16 at 16:31:51

Until you either pull the starter cable and hit the button and check the battery
Or
Pull the cable and, somehow, without wrecking the threads, hook the jumpers up straight to the starter motor and a close ground, you won't know if there is a parallel load.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 08/21/16 at 13:29:41

Ok I am home today and finally got to test some more.

My starter is a brand new aftermarket starter. It has never been used and is not a reman product.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SH0OXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?...

I connected my battery to my truck before I started any tests.

I pulled the hot from the starter and checked the voltage when I press the button. The reading is 12v without it connected to the starter.

I went ahead while I had the cable off the starter and tried it straight from my truck battery. I connected the ground jumper cable to the bolt on the frame and then touched the hot jumper cable straight to the post on the starter. Same condition as before.

I reconnected the starter cable and I reconnected the jumpers from my truck back to the battery. I took a video of the meter as it was metering the post on the starter so you could see and hear what it is doing. This time the voltage was only at about 3-4v.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0IubaO6b84EaC1HYk9Zd3BwcWM

Any other thoughts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 08/21/16 at 13:34:16

. I connected the ground jumper cable to the bolt on the frame and then touched the hot jumper cable straight to the post on the starter. Same condition as before

Your starter, new, is bad.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another won't start thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.