Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LS650P - brake fluied leak /  front brake (Read 89 times)
impi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LS650P - brake fluied leak /  front brake
08/16/16 at 16:39:53

Hi

I have recently bought my wife a Suzuki Savage LS650 with 7000 miles on the clock. its I'm immaculate condition. I recently observed that brake fluied has been leaking out from the front brake caliper from a black rubber insert at the bottom of the caliper. The bike has been standing for a while due to our hot (Arizona summer) conditions.  
Any advice will be appreciated 
Thanks

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re:  LS650P - brake fluied leak /  front brake
Reply #1 - 08/16/16 at 17:09:33

Welcome impi,

I just went outside and looked at mine. I take it that you're talking about that rubber button thingy on the lower side? Not sure if that has anything to do with the brake fluid circuit or not. Looks kinda like one of the support plungers go in there at first glance. I've had mine apart to replace the pads before, but I don't know it as well as the other people here. Wait for one of the Mod Squad to show up. They'll take care of you in a jiffy.  Smiley

A heads up... Our brakes are known for being wimpy and short-lived. The pads are very thin. Some people may end up replacing them with a new set of tires. 5k miles maybe.

Beware of using any very hard brake pad, such as sintered or ceramic.  Our brake rotors are soft and don't have the temper for the others. Some bikes are made for sintered brake pads. The Savage is not. You can use them... and they will work... and some people here have used them....but your rotor may not last quite as long.

I got some "kevlar" cheapies off EBay. I'm happy with them so far. I'm a beginner though.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/16/16 at 19:01:13

Impi,not sure what your looking at ,but I think if it looks like a groved cylinder , it's a boot covering one of the pins the caliper slides on .the pins are greased and the boot is there to keep the grease in and dirt and water out. both ends should set in a vee recess .Grease could run on a hot day ,brake fluid is glycol based,I'm not sure it might evaporate, check your drip and see if you can tell which it is.Check  the boot to be sure it is fit in the groves, and lastly your fluid level .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/16/16 at 23:05:06

Are you sure it's not the bleeder valve dripping?
Look at the window on the master cylinder.
Low on fluid?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
impi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/17/16 at 15:40:26

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/16/16 at 17:09:33:
Welcome impi,

I just went outside and looked at mine. I take it that you're talking about that rubber button thingy on the lower side? Not sure if that has anything to do with the brake fluid circuit or not. Looks kinda like one of the support plungers go in there at first glance. I've had mine apart to replace the pads before, but I don't know it as well as the other people here. Wait for one of the Mod Squad to show up. They'll take care of you in a jiffy.  Smiley

A heads up... Our brakes are known for being wimpy and short-lived. The pads are very thin. Some people may end up replacing them with a new set of tires. 5k miles maybe.

Beware of using any very hard brake pad, such as sintered or ceramic.  Our brake rotors are soft and don't have the temper for the others. Some bikes are made for sintered brake pads. The Savage is not. You can use them... and they will work... and some people here have used them....but your rotor may not last quite as long.

I got some "kevlar" cheapies off EBay. I'm happy with them so far. I'm a beginner though.

IP Logged
impi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/17/16 at 15:43:14

I appreciate all the replies, much appreciated. I have included a picture to make it easier. Where the blue circle is, is where its leaking. Smells like brake fluid. Its a soft rubber nozzle

suzuki_front_brake_leak.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/17/16 at 16:45:25

That's just a carrier pin that the caliper rides/slides/floats on.  It would have a light coating of lubricant on it from the factory.  The rubber boot simply protects it from the elements.

Sometimes a little "grease" and brake dust might surround the area.  If you really have brake fluid in that area it can come from one of three places.  First, would be the bleeder valve on top of the caliper.  Make sure it's tight.  Second would be at the banjo fitting that attaches the brake line.   If it's leaking, make sure it's tight.  If it still leaks, replace the brass washers that seal the fitting.  Third is the caliper piston.  Remove the pads  and look to see if fluid is leaking past the large seal that surrounds the piston.  If it is, you will need to rebuild or replace the caliper.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/17/16 at 16:48:24

Actually, it's possible that your line might be leaking as well.  So that's four  places, but all cases are unlikely on a low mileage bike unless there was some damage at some point.

IP Logged
impi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/18/16 at 09:17:42

You guys are awesome. I will check those 4 places and report back. Again , I appreciate it.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650P - brake fluied leak /  front brake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.