Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Delo 400/Rotella oil thread (Read 352 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Delo 400/Rotella oil thread
Reply #30 - 08/19/16 at 07:59:33

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/18/16 at 11:07:31:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/18/16 at 08:01:21:
Once a satisfactory solution to a problem is found, WHY KEEP HUNTING?
Who lays in bed dreaming up new ways to build a wheel?
If Rotella ISN'T a Really Good solution to the
What oil should I use?
Question, why is it so popular HERE? And why do we have people who have so many high mileage and healthy engines?

It's widely available, it's affordable and,even without adding ZDDP, it's been demonstrated to keep engines alive.
Is there a
Better
Oil out there? Possibly.
And what will you gain if you find it?
Instead of 135,000 miles you'll get, what?
Grief...
Spend the energy working out intake plumbing, or riding..
But, why can't we all just accept that we have found an oil that does the job well, is inexpensive as oils go and widely available, THEREFORE, the problem is solved and we can move on, barring the

But I live where it's -30 degrees.
I live in Australia, we don't Have Rotella.

Yes, Dilbert,there ARE exceptions, but generally, for the people in America, the first thing you should reach for is a gallon of Rotella T 15/40.

Why keep hunting??? More choices! More options! If Delo happens to be cheaper on the shelf or the only thing on the shelf... on sale, ripe for the picking, and it's just as good as white jug Rotella, then that means something. I recently found some Mobil Delvac for a dollar cheaper than Rotella. I picked Rotella instead. Why? Take a guess.

How about other synthetic options? Anybody know of good, cheap synthetic oils other than T6 that work great on the Savage?

Back when American Police osifers were restricted to revolvers, the round of choice in most osifer's revolvers was the venerable 125 grain .357 magnum at a nominal 1550 fps, a cartridge developed before I was born
Other cartridges have been developed since then, some supposedly 'better', but the 125 grain .357 achieves on shot stops in 96% of all center mass hits
Guess what cartrige a home invader will be shot with invading my home?
obsessing over 'better' or 'cheaper' is just too tiring, with this round, I have the best known manstopper there is, with no brain cramps
I like Rotella for the same reason, there are newer oils, supposedly 'better' oils, but Rotella works with no brain cramps, and has pretty much forever

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 08/19/16 at 11:57:05

Art, at the previous scoot and shoot (MM's farm) I brought my 13 shot capacity compensated muzzle braked pistol, tossing a 135 grain .40 caliber slugs at a sedate 1,750 fps.

No felt recoil, ask the boys -- it would jump in place a bit (actually making a tiny back & forth motion mostly fed off the slide's motion).   You never lost your target picture for the follow up shot in the daytime, but at night the muzzle flash is LARGE.

Energy ran approximately twice what the 125 grain .357 round could do, so yes there actually is better stuff out there.

More effective?   Not really, dead is dead is dead .....    Also not really, both of them waste a lot of energy out past the first target (threatening bystanders and such) but they both do get the job done.    Both of them would deafen you from the noise inside a dwelling, too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #32 - 08/19/16 at 14:00:33

I think a front door with a little hole, through which you could run a potential home invader through with a sword, would be handy. Of course it would need a one way device to keep them doing the same to you, and  to keep the breeze out. Plus, rotella should cost $90 a bottle and have a picture of a racing motorbike on it to make it an accceptable Motorcycle engine oil.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 08/19/16 at 15:12:09

I don't own a pistol but I do have a have a shotgun which meets federal regs,18"barrel,29" overall . I don't have to be a great shot ,and you won't hurt your family in the next room as it won't likely carry through walls.It will make a hole in someone's chest you can step through!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 08/19/16 at 15:20:43

WOW.....I have seen oil threads get into some heated discussion before - but this is the first time I have seen one that evolved into the use of pistols, swords and shotguns!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 08/19/16 at 16:41:58

Once, long ago, an oil war actually degenerated to the point where a nuclear ballistic missile actually got fired ....  

But small arms have always been used in oil wars, on both sides.

Only trick is that FACTS are the only known bullets that have any effect and the side with the best facts tends to win an oil war in the end.

Wink      .... we may have to escalate this one -- deploy the c.a.t.f.i.s.h  weapon !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #36 - 08/19/16 at 20:06:17

Launching a aimless scud missle your way, don't try to run, best off standing still with a scud heading your way, chances are it will miss.
You hope !
Have been using Casrol GTX 15/40 & 20/50 in my bikes for close to 40 years without any oil related failures this oil is a favorite in Europe & around the world. This is best bang for your buck oil I have ever used. Liquid gold if some ZDDP is added !
Stand or Run ? Incoming !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 08/19/16 at 20:18:14

rol GTX 15/40 & 20/50 in my bikes for close to 40 years without any oil related failures this oil is a favorite in Europe & around the world. This is best bang for your buck oil I have ever used

Blahhdeblahhblahhh..
Unsubstantiated claims.

bang for your buck

So?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 08/19/16 at 21:21:22

Ruttly, give us the VOA for the exact Castrol GTX oil you are referring to.

Next, tell us the cost per quart.

In doing so you are going to figure out that Castrol GTX is a car oil, currently running under SAE SN requirements and although it may have been a significant enough oil 16 years ago, right now it is just as neutered as any other car oil.

Don't get confused by the old Castrol Racing oil, that had lots of good stuff (or it used to have) but it also lacked a detergent package and long durability as it was intended to be dumped at the end of the race.    And Castrol Racing oil was a dino oil that cost as much as a synthetic costs now days.

Two issues with trying to war any Castrol products, which one of the 5-8 different types are you really talking about, and they all actually cost more than Rotella products cost (Walmart sells both, you know).

« Last Edit: 08/20/16 at 05:42:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 08/20/16 at 00:34:47

I thought

Blahhdeblahhblahhh..
Unsubstantiated claims.

bang for your buck

So?

Was every Bit as well worded, but, maybe not.
I wasn't typing all that. But,yeah, we need the details in order to
Ascertain the Bang for the Buck claims.

Instead of unsubstantiated claims...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 08/20/16 at 05:34:05

Who owns / bottles Castrol now that it is just a brand name on a bottle?

Synopsis of web search 8/20/16

British Petroleum (BP) controls the bottling of the Castrol brand name, and what is actually in the bottle comes off of any bottling facility that they chose to ship the bottles to as the oil is bottled regionally, world-wide.  

There are bottling codes and lot numbers on the bottles themselves that can trace back to the bottling plant that did that particular bottle.    An example of part of a bottle code is the bottling plant itself.  (WPP = Warren Petroleum Products for example)   Type your bottle code into your browser and see what it can find out for you.

Most volume produced commercial oil is treated this way, with an additives spec sheet on file at a commercial bottling plant that bottles many different brand names during a normal working week.   No claims are made for the base oil used in such cases, as it actually changes (but meets a standard base oil requirement of course) according to what is available that month at the best cost.

As such Castrol or Amoco or BP (same same actually) oil is produced locally according to the local regulations and laws.   In America, this is SAE SN oil and Castrol meets this SN requirement all the way.

In short, it is dino car oil, "regional generic" to a fair degree.   All the Castrol "liquid engineering" stuff on the bottle is advertising and promotion.   Can contain large amounts of sulfur in the base oil (with more added as an additive) which gets either blessed or boned depending on who is writing the review.

Largest US investor is Morgan Investments.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 08/20/16 at 06:09:38

I love this pic, you can actually see the ZDDP film on it and see where the film broke down and what happens to the steel when that happens.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #42 - 08/20/16 at 07:39:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/19/16 at 11:57:05:

Art, at the previous scoot and shoot (MM's farm) I brought my 13 shot capacity compensated muzzle braked pistol, tossing a 135 grain .40 caliber slugs at a sedate 1,750 fps.

No felt recoil, ask the boys -- it would jump in place a bit (actually making a tiny back & forth motion mostly fed off the slide's motion).   You never lost your target picture for the follow up shot in the daytime, but at night the muzzle flash is LARGE.

Energy ran approximately twice what the 125 grain .357 round could do, so yes there actually is better stuff out there.

More effective?   Not really, dead is dead is dead .....    Also not really, both of them waste a lot of energy out past the first target (threatening bystanders and such) but they both do get the job done.    Both of them would deafen you from the noise inside a dwelling, too.

I am drooling over that gun and load, OF, but
the .44 magnum also has a lot more energy than the 125 grain .357 magnum, but, for some reason, does not score as high on the 'one shot stop' tabel as the .357, ain't that odd?
the old cop load works, don't need 'better'  Wink
in most states, handloads in a defensive pistol will get you on the wrong side of a jury, so I stick with factory loads
The .40 has some good factory loads, too, almost as good as my old standby cop gun, but they cost more per box, here in my area, so the .357 still gets the 'bang for the buck' title when you compare apples to apples
The 125gr .357 actually over penetrates less frequently than the .38 +p hollowpoints, though the 158gr LSWCHP is a good choice in a .38 caliber

Batman, my front door is 4 inches from my bed, as i live, currently, in a 16x8 travel trailer, I wouldn't have time to get a shotgun in action  Grin

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 08/20/16 at 11:11:11

Is it ok to use moly on my 38spc?, or will it make the cylinder slip?
I have 3 engines right now, each very different from the other. A 2.2 in an 83 Plymouth Scamp, a 6.5 turbo in a diesel K30, and the 650 in the Savage.  Every one of them gets Rotella 15-40 because of the zddp.  I've done the research, asked the questions, and seen the pictures to prove it.  If your not running a roller cam, it is the stuff.  It also seems to maintain a higher oil pressure when hot, but that is my opinion based on my two vehicles motors.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 08/20/16 at 15:38:52

Moly in guns has a mixed history, mostly because some folks swear they got corrosion that existed as a unseen surprise and said corrosion had extended itself under the moly coating of the lands and grooves.

Cubic boron nitride does the same sort of beneficial things moly did in a gun but it is non-hydroscopic.  Color is white, coated barrel is essentially a clear coating as opposed to the very dark coating from moly.  

Neither is needed in a 38 special, a gun that originally shot lead bullets at moderate velocity.

« Last Edit: 08/21/16 at 06:54:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:16:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Delo 400/Rotella oil thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.