Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Delo 400/Rotella oil thread (Read 352 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Rubber Duck Down
Reply #15 - 08/17/16 at 20:54:30

I was goin to run redline synthetic , another top grade oil
Ok now why isn't this acceptable, not enough ZDDP ?
ZDDP can be added to any oil, if it's good for cams has to be good for gears & bearings !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Rubber Duck Down
Reply #16 - 08/17/16 at 21:54:47

Has anyone had good luck out of Delo400 in the Savage? I seem to remember it had a tiny bit of moly in it like T6 Rotella. Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Delo 400/Rotella oil thread
Reply #17 - 08/18/16 at 04:43:32

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Using the Tech Section Index yields this little gem, which gem actually refers directly to Redline's synthetic oil as GOOD STUFF.     This is the bulk Redline Synthetic oil, not the Redline ZDDP booster -- the booster is also an approved thing too, with a bump table (mixing instructions) and all that sort of good stuff.

I dunno why some folks simply don't want to read the Tech Section, we put the answers there so you could read up and get educated some before you start asking questions.

Smiley

....  ah, the war of the redheads, that was one good oil war.   I remember Ann Margaret and the young Irish lass very fondly.   Ms. Redline had some truly sterling attributes as I remember .....

« Last Edit: 08/18/16 at 10:59:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 08/18/16 at 04:48:50

Delo Dino

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HDEO%20SUMMARYrev2.html

117 PPM of Moly isn't a good long term thing for our type of cork based wet clutch.  

Delo 400 dino may have all the ZDDP you need for the valve train, but it also has too much of the slippery moly stuff for us to use it in our Savage clutches.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 08/18/16 at 04:56:04

This is a better photo of the type of damage that occurs when an oil with low ZDDP is used in the Savage.....or any vintage style engine that doesn't have roller on the rockers.  As the oil shears under extreme pressure - the ZDDP remains between the metal surfaces to prevent the metal from bonding.  Without sufficient ZDDP the metal pieces actually fuse together and stick.....and a chunk of metal is pulled out of the previously smooth surface.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 08/18/16 at 05:01:30

Spauling is the old school technical term for what Dave is showing and describing.  

"Pressure contact welding" is another way it is described.  

« Last Edit: 08/18/16 at 10:06:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/18/16 at 07:19:46

Rotella beats all other MC oils
That is all
peace out

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 08/18/16 at 08:01:21

Once a satisfactory solution to a problem is found, WHY KEEP HUNTING?
Who lays in bed dreaming up new ways to build a wheel?
If Rotella ISN'T a Really Good solution to the
What oil should I use?
Question, why is it so popular HERE? And why do we have people who have so many high mileage and healthy engines?

It's widely available, it's affordable and,even without adding ZDDP, it's been demonstrated to keep engines alive.
Is there a
Better
Oil out there? Possibly.
And what will you gain if you find it?
Instead of 135,000 miles you'll get, what?
Grief...
Spend the energy working out intake plumbing, or riding..
But, why can't we all just accept that we have found an oil that does the job well, is inexpensive as oils go and widely available, THEREFORE, the problem is solved and we can move on, barring the

But I live where it's -30 degrees.
I live in Australia, we don't Have Rotella.

Yes, Dilbert,there ARE exceptions, but generally, for the people in America, the first thing you should reach for is a gallon of Rotella T 15/40.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 08/18/16 at 08:19:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/18/16 at 08:01:21:
What oil should I use?
Question, why is it so popular HERE? And why do we have people who have so many high mileage and healthy engines?

It's widely available, it's affordable and,even without adding ZDDP, it's been demonstrated to keep engines alive.
Is there a
Better
Oil out there? Possibly.
Grief...
But, why can't we all just accept that we have found an oil that does the job well, is inexpensive as oils go and widely available, THEREFORE, the problem is solved and we can move on, barring the

Yes, Dilbert,there ARE exceptions, but generally, for the people in America, the first thing you should reach for is a gallon of Rotella T 15/40.

---------------------------------

Dang, yo.    Cool

mic_drop.png

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 08/18/16 at 10:35:01

RaleighGuy,

Ruttly has declared this to be an oil war.  This is a hallowed tradition here on SS, where we will "war" things that need an answer.  

It is just an energetic discussion that DOES have some traditional rules.  We don't do any degeneration into name calling and we DO require you to post backup sources (or links) for every one of your points because what you remember isn't accurate or real enough for an Oil War.

If you choose to enter into the torn churned earth between the trenches, you have to expect machine gun fire and mortar rounds to come at you from all sides.

I fired a relevant shot from my rifle, answers to the questions that started this war up.  You notice I didn't state any sort of opinion on my part, I just sent the jacketed slug true to the center of the question's haid bone from 300 yards out.  Delo 400 dino has 2-3 times more moly in it than Rot Syn has in it currently (and 50 times more moly than dino Rotella T has ever had in it).

JOG threw a more close up general hand grenade because he doesn't see any real intent to make any real sort of point coming out of Ruttly.     Ruttly has instead stated he has never been in an oil war before and he just wanted to start one up to see what it was like.  

Now that you have transported yourself to the churned earth (laced with barbed wire) that exists between the trenches (chosen to participate) I suggest you get yourself over to the quarter masters bunker over there and draw yourself a weapon, a helmet and some kevlar underwear (ask for the flame proof stuff as some here still like to use them durn stinky smoky flame throwers).

Think of Dave as the Medic, when you get shot he will come and give you a bandaid to put on it.

When I was moderating the list, I'd edit the title of an oil war thread so it was clear to all the civilians to stay out, a discussion w/bullets was in progress.

Most of the good stuff in Tech Section is the concise write up of output of various Wars and yes there have been a good half dozen or so full blown wars here on the list.  

I think this one isn't worth an oil war, personally, so I just shot it in the head to be done with it.

« Last Edit: 08/18/16 at 18:44:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #25 - 08/18/16 at 11:07:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/18/16 at 08:01:21:
What oil should I use?

Is there a
Better
Oil out there? Possibly.
Grief...

Why keep hunting??? More choices! More options! If Delo happens to be cheaper on the shelf or the only thing on the shelf... on sale, ripe for the picking, and it's just as good as white jug Rotella, then that means something. I recently found some Mobil Delvac for a dollar cheaper than Rotella. I picked Rotella instead. Why? Take a guess.

How about other synthetic options? Anybody know of good, cheap synthetic oils other than T6 that work great on the Savage?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 08/18/16 at 11:16:02

You can keep looking if you want.....at $12 - $15 a gallon it is plenty cheap and it works just fine and keeps the cam, rockers and clutch happy.

Until something happens to Rotella T that makes it no longer suitable , I don't feel the need to shop around.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 08/18/16 at 11:32:01

Cheapie, you are just tossing out a popper plug trying to provoke something.   Last person that did this was Bill, and we clipped his fishing line for doing it as he was giving out false/bad information to newbies in doing so.

Or else you are just proving that you are too lazy to follow a reference thread and such are not worth responding to at all.

Answers to all these bored people's questions can be found in the backup thread for the last oil war which is here (all the pert Bozongas were removed to keep the under 18 crowd's eyes from falling out).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471408/0

« Last Edit: 08/18/16 at 18:41:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #28 - 08/18/16 at 17:34:49

Well, let's hear it. Exactly what did you do to Bill, the Klotz man?

Angry

For the record, You've got a point, sometimes I'm a little too quick to jump the gun on talking about something without looking first.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 08/18/16 at 18:20:56

He and I went down to the river Styx and went swimming for a bit .....   both of us.   Fair is fair, you know.    I like fair, although I really don't care much for them little tubular brown fishes that live in that brown stinky Styx river water for very much.

Bill didn't learn, or he wouldn't listen and went back to his fishin' tricks again and he got Kangaroo Kourted, judged and sentenced.

Yer Honor, you've got your Savage back again ..... are you now available for Kourt Duty should such become necessary again ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:26:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Delo 400/Rotella oil thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.