Send Topic Print
Starter  solenoid Bad? (Read 129 times)
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter  solenoid Bad?
08/14/16 at 12:20:39

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have 5.0 volts on the starter side of the solenoid/ before I  press the starter button.    Looking at the manual, the
small gauge black wire that comes off the same post goes to the igniter, so that should not be a back feed situation.     I have a bad solenoid right?  It is not retracting all the way, right?    I guess I need to just pull all the wires and test it on its lonesome.   That far away from firing this puppy up, if the carb and petcock don't leak.....05 with new cyl head, piston, rings, valve springs, seals & new gaskets, cyl head plug, chain conversion, new cam chain ...etc...etc.  

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Starter  solenoid Bad?
Reply #1 - 08/14/16 at 14:07:59

My bike reads 0 volts at the starter side of the solenoid.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/14/16 at 15:32:51

Thanks for checking.  Disconnected it...all but the 12 volt battery side, still 5 volts on the starter side. Energized and get 12 on both but goes back to 5 instead of zero when un-energized.  Bad. Wonder if that had anything to do with the starter magnets being destroyed when I acquired the bike.

IP Logged
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/14/16 at 21:36:40

I am having a very similar problem. Instead of 5v, I was reading about 2.5v on the starter side. My bike wouldn't always start. I pulled my starter and had the same issues as you described. I have a new solenoid and starter on the way. I went through 2 batteries recently. I wonder if this had something to do with it. Just my thoughts.

IP Logged
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/15/16 at 05:57:44

Was yours showing that 2.5 with the key turned to run, or in the off position as well?  Glad i checked mine with the meter before i hooked it up to the starter.  Yes , that would be a constant drain on the battery if it did it in the off position.  With mine at 5 volts constant while running, im sure the stater cooked , deformed, and destroyed the magnets. Previous owner said it didnt work when He got it. So just bumped.it off for 2 years, till the belt broke.....

IP Logged
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/16/16 at 05:56:31

Hey Happybandit. Put my new solinoid on and still get voltage on the starter side. So did some research. Main question was , why does the wire ( black) come from the majic s_it box to the starter side of the starter solinoid..........evidently, after you turn the ignition to RUN.  You will have voltage there , that has something to do with cbanging the voltage.durning startup.   Im going to hookup to the starter and try it.   Old schoolguy, i want no voltage.on that side unless im hitting the starter.button.  was looking at a inline diode.there but would be wrong , i guess. Anybody else get voltage on that post with key at run? Without hitting the start button ? And yes , do get 12 + after pressing thd button.  To magical for me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/16/16 at 07:20:49

Let me get out the Ouija board...
R.. E.. T.. A.. R.. D..
S.. T.. I.. M.. I.. N..
G..

I wonder what that means... No good at scrabble.

WWW   IP Logged
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/16/16 at 14:42:08

Yes , MR V.....timing retarded .  ..then the voltage went away on the starter pole after the mofo started, which was just before both neighbors called the police about the loud noise. Damm shame, but guess ill put a muffler on it. Trust in the majic poo box.

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #8 - 08/18/16 at 09:59:05

i thought the timing was fixed and not adjustable

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/18/16 at 10:06:16

hotprops wrote on 08/18/16 at 09:59:05:
i thought the timing was fixed and not adjustable

There is no manual adjustment, you just bolt the parts together and the spark advance is at the factory settings.

Evidently the spark is retarded a little bit when the starter button is pushed.......and there is likely an advance curve that varies with rpm as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter  solenoid Bad?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.