Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Won't Start, No Neutral Light, but new Battery In (Read 163 times)
savagerider
Ex Member

Won't Start, No Neutral Light, but new Battery In
08/14/16 at 10:20:56

Hey guys,

I went riding around 10 days ago or so (at most.) Everything was fine. I went to go start it the other day, no dice. Not even the Neutral light is coming on. I thought maybe I put it in PE instead of off and the battery is drained. The battery was pretty old so I decided to buy a new one.

I just put the new battery in. I got an OEM one from cheapcycleparts.com and just installed it. Nothing, still no neutral light.

Thinking that its just a new battery and needs a new charge, I hooked it up to my trickle charger. (http://www.duracellpower.com/battery-chargers/battery-chargers/6-amp-battery-...)

However, the trickle charger indicator is blinking red (which means short circuit) or something. Both the Pos and Neg ends are clipped with the Alligator ends, and are for sure in the right position. But it is still blinking red.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Won't Start, No Neutral Light, but new Battery
Reply #1 - 08/14/16 at 12:49:59

You need a voltmeter to test the battery and see if it has any voltage.  If you don't have one, take the battery to an auto parts store and have it tested.

Did the battery come already filled with fluid and charged?  All the batteries that I have bought recently have been dry, and needed to have the acid added.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagerider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/14/16 at 12:53:25

Hey Dave,

I bought the battery from cheapcycleparts.com and it is an OEM battery replacement. Nothing special. As far as I could tell it didn't come with anything else. Just the battery (some screws) and it was already filled to the top.

I am not sure if the battery came charged or not. I have it installed in the bike, with a trickle charger connected to it now. It is flashing "red" for short circuit issues. I am not sure what that means or how to go about diagnosing/fixing that.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 08/14/16 at 13:23:37

Savagerider,
If your trickle charger is a battery tender flashing red is open circuit.
Check your connections. It could also be an open circuit battery, I have seen that on die-easy batteries from you know where.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 08/14/16 at 13:36:07

Savagerider,
You did check your fuses didn't you? Wink

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
savagerider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/14/16 at 14:26:46

I did check the fuse, and as far as I can tell everything is connected and plugged in. Is there something specific I should be looking for?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/14/16 at 14:33:22

Takes a Seriously DEAD Bat Tree to not even have a neutral light. I'd hafta look at the connectors under the tank, if that's a
No Joy moment, then a volt ohm meter is a reasonable investment.

You Could try to jump it with a car.. Hook up the cables and Still don't have lights, pull the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 08/14/16 at 14:43:44

You have to be certain that the battery is putting out voltage. Otherwise no lights of any kind will come on. I have seen batteries die instantly with an open circuit condition. In your case two batteries are involved so it seems likely that something obvious is causing your problem.

Do you have a voltmeter? I have one and it gets used all the time. Worth its weight in gold so to speak.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/14/16 at 14:52:29

If the symptoms are identical with two batteries being installed, what are the odds that they are equally discharged?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 08/15/16 at 10:29:55

I'd get a voltmeter  and make sure the polarity on the chargrer isn't reversed ,you may be trying to hook up the charger backward  and that's giving you the red light. try reverseing the leads ,the charger has a circuit breaker you won't hirt it or the battery.......You might check the neutral light wire ,it comes from the back of the clutch side cover near the oil siteglass and is just a ground wire .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 08/15/16 at 13:01:54

Savagerider,
I have looked at my wiring diagram and the only thing that comes to mind is the fuses. For you to have two completely flat batteries is highly unlikely.

If you have something un-plugged that is another matter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/15/16 at 13:39:25

Ok, believe it or not, there's a constantly connected device on the savage.

While it's not prone to failure, it does.

It's the decomp controller.

And sometimes is fills up with water or just enough for a couple of components to go bad.

I guess that's why it's mounted where it's mounted... on top of the carb with the connector pointed slightly down.

WWW   IP Logged
savagerider
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/17/16 at 16:19:35

Alright small update. It is definitely not the battery that is the issue. It is definitely the wiring some where. I have the seat off and I checked my fuses. They look good still and there are no issues there.

Everything is plugged in, but I have no idea what could possibly be wrong. I know it is definitely an electrical problem but I have no idea how to pinpoint and identify what the root of the issue is.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/17/16 at 16:25:48

Put hands on every connector. Especially and first among them, those under the tank. If they are together, take them apart, study them, eyeballs like lasers, and inspect the tabs and slots. Dialectric grease is good stuff.
That's the easiest and first step.

You say the cfuses look good. How certain of that are you?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 08/17/16 at 18:55:56

savagerider wrote on 08/17/16 at 16:19:35:
...I checked my fuses. They look good still and there are no issues there.

Did you look at them or check the continuity with a multimeter? I've seen bad fuses look good.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:34:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't Start, No Neutral Light, but new Battery In

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.