Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think I'm burning my engine. (Read 211 times)
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
I think I'm burning my engine.
08/12/16 at 21:01:09

This issue started around 17,000 and 17600 miles.  

Shifting down to about second or first it dies out. I believe it has starvation problems, and issues with the carb jet settings.

So first. The Petcock im going to change it to a raptor.

Second the carb has a cone filter and jets were adjusted by previous owner ... Ill like to set this back to normal.

Finally, over the last month or so I havent ridden that much... when ti shuts on me I get this very nasty smell..I think something is burning inside...I seen smoke, first i thought it was white or black...but definitely see it with headlight on.

I took the bike for a short run but it died on me 3 times as i came to stops.... now there's a bad sound coming from the engine, the smell and smoke are there... Sad

Can anyone hint me on what I can do first?

When I put it on neutral I can hear the engine wanting to die...i have to keep it up with the throttle a bit open.

And there is this screw with a spring right between the carb and the petcock. I had to adjust it... to keep the bike running...I wish i knew what it is called but when I turn the throttle the piece opens up and closes to the screw length.... I feel like im over burning my engine because it sounds over accelerated... but is the only way it wont shut on me and I can make it home.

Stops sucks but i have to play with throttle break and clutch just to keep the bike going...

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I think I'm burning my engine.
Reply #1 - 08/12/16 at 21:31:17

Have you checked the oil?
Until you have the raptor, you can run on prime.
You don't have reserve if you do.
If your petcock is failing you should have gas in the vacuum line.
You can get gas in the oil, too.
Bad news...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/12/16 at 22:24:16

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/12/16 at 22:26:30

issue with cone filters...

don't cover the port.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183926901/0

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/12/16 at 22:28:50

Kruzader wrote on 08/12/16 at 21:01:09:

I took the bike for a short run but it died on me 3 times as i came to stops.... now there's a bad sound coming from the engine, the smell and smoke are there... Sad

Have you check the cam chain?

WWW   IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #5 - 08/24/16 at 12:57:24

Thank you. This helps a lot considering that I have very little mechanical knowledge..

What can happen if gas gets in the oil?

No I haven't check the cam chain. I been afraid of screwing the engine not knowing what I'm doing.

I should get the petcock this week. I saw some one had plugs to close a line on the carb. Need to find where they found them.

Ver, I belive you have several upgrades to the engine. I'll like to work with you... I think as I'm fixing this issue it wont be a bad idea to upgrade certain parts.

First the air filter, which one do you guys recommend? I'm going to go look for the dyna muffler this week as well.

IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #6 - 08/24/16 at 12:58:44

verslagen1 wrote on 08/12/16 at 22:28:50:

No, i been afraid to open the engine that far. But i can hear a sound and I'm almost certain is coming up. I heard is a pain to change, but I think since is my first bike I'm going to start wit ha new one for it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 08/24/16 at 13:28:21

Open the oil fill and see if it smells like gas. If it does your case has an oil/fuel mixture and probably too much fluid in general. This will cause the poor performance due to excessive crankcase pressure and the smoke because the gas has a lower vaporization point (as well as flash point) then the oil it is mixed with.

The fix is a Raptor fuel valve...and an oil and filter change.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/24/16 at 22:10:34

Kruzader wrote on 08/24/16 at 12:58:44:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/12/16 at 22:28:50:

No, i been afraid to open the engine that far. But i can hear a sound and I'm almost certain is coming up. I heard is a pain to change, but I think since is my first bike I'm going to start wit ha new one for it.

Before you decide to make it as hard as possible, get it open.
Use cardboard and keep the bolts in order.

You're not experienced, so Probably the best thing is the Verslavy.
You can get the rest of the goody out of the chain, get experience with getting in an out of the sidecover.
And you can read and learn about the engine while riding the last miles of the chain's life.

It's time to adjust valves after the Verslavy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #9 - 08/27/16 at 22:39:25

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/24/16 at 13:28:21:
Open the oil fill and see if it smells like gas. If it does your case has an oil/fuel mixture and probably too much fluid in general. This will cause the poor performance due to excessive crankcase pressure and the smoke because the gas has a lower vaporization point (as well as flash point) then the oil it is mixed with.

The fix is a Raptor fuel valve...and an oil and filter change.

I think this might be it, or either a piece of it. There was smoke presence  when it first began doing this, and also the smell of gas... towards the end. Waiting for the raptor petcock to arrive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/27/16 at 23:09:55

If you don't get the cam chain dealt with you might be waiting on a wrecker to arrive.
You may not Want to mess with it, but it's the one that says when.
You're inside the
It ruined my engine
Mileage.

IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Fuel Filter with Raptor Petcock and Vacuum Line
Reply #11 - 08/27/16 at 23:13:51

Q1:The Vacuum Line is stuck on the carb. I've tried taking it out and I move the bike before even  showing any sign of coming lose. Yes, i removed the clamp, but I might have to rely to carefully cutting it. any advice

Q2:Is a Fuel Filter  an ideal thing to have. On this post there is one being used.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Can some one tell me if is necessay, and what the advantage of having one at all or not is?

Thinking of getting the K N if is helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/K-N-81-0221-Fuel-Filter/dp/B000E2AR70/ref=pd_sbs_263_2...

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/27/16 at 23:09:55:
If you don't get the cam chain dealt with you might be waiting on a wrecker to arrive.
You may not Want to mess with it, but it's the one that says when.
You're inside the
It ruined my engine
Mileage.

I will begin studying and might jump into replacing the thing all together. I heard is a hell of a job to do and with little experience this should def be fun. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 08/28/16 at 01:53:49 by Kruzader »  

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/28/16 at 12:21:42

Hello Kruzader, here's my 2 cents worth regarding your questions.

Question 1 - Pulling on the tube will cause it to tighten like a chinese finger trap, pushing against the end with a screw driver works better.  If that doesn't work try a combination of gentle twisting and pulling with pliers.  Or just cut it off with a knife.  The tubing is inexpensive just make certain you buy a grade that is fuel compatible.

Question 2 -There is no need for a fuel filter.  The petcock has a filter screen and if your tank is in good condition and clean the addition of a filter is a waste of money.

Reply to comment - Quote:
"Thinking of getting the K N if is helpful."
 If you are talking about an air filter the stock filter and air box works fine with a stock engine.  Save your money for that cam chain situation. 

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #13 - 08/28/16 at 13:47:15

engineer wrote on 08/28/16 at 12:21:42:
Hello Kruzader, here's my 2 cents worth regarding your questions.

Question 1 - Pulling on the tube will cause it to tighten like a chinese finger trap, pushing against the end with a screw driver works better.  If that doesn't work try a combination of gentle twisting and pulling with pliers.  Or just cut it off with a knife.  The tubing is inexpensive just make certain you buy a grade that is fuel compatible.

Question 2 -There is no need for a fuel filter.  The petcock has a filter screen and if your tank is in good condition and clean the addition of a filter is a waste of money.

Reply to comment - Quote:
"Thinking of getting the K N if is helpful."
 If you are talking about an air filter the stock filter and air box works fine with a stock engine.  Save your money for that cam chain situation. 

Thank you so much Eng. With Gf laid off getting my bike up and running has been slow. I see it daily, and hurts me that I don't know exactly what to do...I appreciate all the help and will continue to work on this probably for the next couple of months.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 10:11:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I'm burning my engine.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.