Send Topic Print
That's not a horn ! (Read 571 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: That's not a horn !
Reply #45 - 08/19/16 at 12:08:58

toscik , don't have what I need to post pics, don't have time work 9 to10 hrs 6 or 7 days with 3 to 4 hr commute. Pics in phone take it or leave !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #46 - 08/19/16 at 12:25:03

Kenny , fuse power to pole 30 on relay , wire from pole 87 to horns , oem wires to old horn to pole 85 & 86 , may have to swap wires at 85 & 86

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #47 - 08/19/16 at 12:27:55

Tocsik,

At your suggestion, I have tried mounting the auxiliary horn where the reflector goes on the right hand side, it works. I am not sure that I want the second horn all that visible. I will probably paint it black to hide it.

The combination of the factory horn and 1 aftermarket horn does make more noise than the 2 aftermarket horns. I am thinking that is what Dave meant earlier in this posting.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 08/19/16 at 12:44:17

Dave wrote on 08/18/16 at 03:27:18:
Kenny G wrote on 08/17/16 at 20:42:45:
I am not certain if 2 x 100 Decibel Horns will make 200 Decibels?
I will find out tomorrow.......

Kenny G

I am certain that 2 x 100 does not make 200 when it comes to sound.  The db scale is arranged so that every 10db increase is a doubling of loudness to the human ear.  When you go from 100 db t 110 db, the sound intensity is doubled.!

I tried to GOOGLE this question about 2 horns being twice as loud as 1....and I couldn't find anything.  I believe the reason is that the 2 horns will never have the pressure waves synchronized - so the intensity of the loudness will change as the pressure waves comes in and out of phase.

So the result is that 2 horns of equal power are only twice as loud if they are synchronized so that the pressure waves are in phase and the horns create a simultaneously larger pressure wave.  Most "dual" horns are made intentionally with different frequencies, this allows the horns to come in and out of phase, and the pressure waves change from being in and out of phase continually....and when they are in phase the combination makes the pressure waves stronger and at other times tends to cancel each other.  This pulsing effect does makes the sound more noticeable, and the pulsing may not be audible as it is most likely faster than the ear/brain can process (the same way you can't see the 60 cycle pulse that occurs in florescent bulbs or a cathode ray TV screen).

So...2 horns are louder than 1 - but I am not sure they are twice as loud (and it is maybe impossible for the human ear to be an accurate measure of the "loudness" of a sound from the "fullness" of a sound).

2 identical horns will be 1 octave louder when sounding together.  Not sure of the decibel scale, that could be 108 or 110 dB.
Who the hell cares, I'm jumping just as high.   Grin

I guess you should take some care in wiring them.
Hook one up backwards and there will be a dead zone in the middle.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #49 - 08/19/16 at 13:31:48

Most cars that have dual horns use a hi & low tones horns making that pressure wave broader !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #50 - 08/19/16 at 20:28:46

The two horns are definitely much louder than just the factory horn.

I am hoping people in automobiles can now hear the horn.

Time will tell.....

Kenny G

IMG_1252.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #51 - 08/30/16 at 12:53:00

Ah crap , Rode my sporty last Sunday honked the horn guess what another dam squeaky toy , same horn as the savage minus the plastic chrome , no joke same part # ! Stop by Harley stealership on my way home tonight !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #52 - 08/31/16 at 01:19:46

All the figures are pretty well irrelevant because what matters is only the dB at the person's ear whose attention you need to attract.

But the bottom line is that if you need to use the horn in an emergency situation then you are already behind the eight ball, you're better off not wasting time that would be better put into braking. IMHO

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #53 - 08/31/16 at 04:45:40

Agreed , I'm no rookie at the game , horn is for when you can't take your hand off the bars to flip some idiot the bird !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 08/31/16 at 04:57:12

I use my wimpy horn to "honk and wave" if the neighbors are out in the yard when I ride past.

I am not sure how well even a good horn works at getting the attention of stoopid or distracted drivers.  With the windows up, AC on, stereo cranked (and/or ear buds installed)......I just don't think I am going to get their attention.

That being said......I see no downside in trying to find a better/louder horn as long as it is wired properly and doesn't fry the horn button or wire harness.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #55 - 08/31/16 at 05:13:16

@Dave, sometimes when a driver honks me due only to some frustration, it just makes me smile on the inside and I'm sure that honking a driver who has done something dangerous to let them know you're annoyed with them would only make them happier.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #56 - 08/31/16 at 19:47:51

Take a look at this. It gives some technical information on dB levels.

http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/2004-About-dB/

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:29:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That's not a horn !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.