Send Topic Print
That's not a horn ! (Read 571 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: That's not a horn !
Reply #30 - 08/14/16 at 18:02:38

I tried the cow bell  but it won't ring when I pushed the button !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #31 - 08/17/16 at 20:42:45

Quoted from Dave's post above.

"If the new horn only draws a bit more power....you might be OK without a relay.  Does the stock horn list a power rating on it?"

Yes. The rating on my 2013 S40 horn is:  12V    3A    105 Decibels

The 2 horns that I purchased from Amazon are rated at 100 Decibels  and stamped on the horn is: 12V 1.5A. I am sure I could get away with out a relay, but since I already have the relay and fuse holder I went ahead and installed them.

Since I installed the horns with Rubber Vibration Isolators I had to run a ground wire from the battery to the horns.

I am not certain if 2 x 100 Decibel Horns will make 200 Decibels?
I will find out tomorrow.......

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 08/17/16 at 21:01:23

I'm pretty sure two crickets are at least twice as loud as one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 08/18/16 at 03:27:18

Kenny G wrote on 08/17/16 at 20:42:45:
I am not certain if 2 x 100 Decibel Horns will make 200 Decibels?
I will find out tomorrow.......

Kenny G

I am certain that 2 x 100 does not make 200 when it comes to sound.  The db scale is arranged so that every 10db increase is a doubling of loudness to the human ear.  When you go from 100 db t 110 db, the sound intensity is doubled.!

I tried to GOOGLE this question about 2 horns being twice as loud as 1....and I couldn't find anything.  I believe the reason is that the 2 horns will never have the pressure waves synchronized - so the intensity of the loudness will change as the pressure waves comes in and out of phase.

So the result is that 2 horns of equal power are only twice as loud if they are synchronized so that the pressure waves are in phase and the horns create a simultaneously larger pressure wave.  Most "dual" horns are made intentionally with different frequencies, this allows the horns to come in and out of phase, and the pressure waves change from being in and out of phase continually....and when they are in phase the combination makes the pressure waves stronger and at other times tends to cancel each other.  This pulsing effect does makes the sound more noticeable, and the pulsing may not be audible as it is most likely faster than the ear/brain can process (the same way you can't see the 60 cycle pulse that occurs in florescent bulbs or a cathode ray TV screen).

So...2 horns are louder than 1 - but I am not sure they are twice as loud (and it is maybe impossible for the human ear to be an accurate measure of the "loudness" of a sound from the "fullness" of a sound).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #34 - 08/18/16 at 05:59:50

Dave,

I am hoping the dual horns are loud enough to hear.

The worst part of this horn change was getting the JIS screws loose that mount the horn to the frame. I used a soldering iron on them for 6 minutes each and beat on them with an impact driver and a 3 LB. hammer until they finally loosened. I couldn't budge the screws with my JIS screwdriver. This is a ridiculous way to attach anything to a motorcycle that isn't likely to fall off and cause a mechanical failure.....

If for some reason the dual horns are not loud enough what would happen if I used one Suzuki horn and one after market horn?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 08/18/16 at 06:14:43

The horn on my Pontiac Vibe was pathetic, and I installed the Hella Supertone Horns.  They are listed as 118db, and they are very loud, and part of that is because they are big...they are almost 5" in diameter.  I don't know if they are just too big to look good on a motorcycle.  I believe it is necessary that loud horns get bigger.....there is only so much air that can be moved by a small horn.  These will require a relay - although I can't find anywhere the power requirement of the horn is listed.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003399801-Supertone-High-Bracket/dp/B000CRZXPI/r...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #36 - 08/18/16 at 06:46:45

Dave,

I think a 5" horn is going to be hard to make look good on a medium sized motorcycle. I have a Harley Cow Bell that was mounted on a lot of motorcycles that I have owned, but it just doesn't look right on the S40.

I will see what I get for noise on my setup and go from there.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 08/18/16 at 11:45:09 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #37 - 08/18/16 at 07:24:44

zipidachimp wrote on 08/13/16 at 12:47:42:
Realistically, how often would you use it? Drove my previous car 6 years without one, never used one on a bike. Nice to have if you need it, but really?  Cool

You kidding?  The number of times drivers (both distracted and not distracted) have either started a lane change on top of me or a left turn in front of me can't be counted.  I've been riding since the 80's, retook  the MSF course in '08 and am conscious of staying out of blind spots etc.  I certainly don't overuse my horn; I think we all know how angry and hair-trigger society has turned in to on our roads.  But I'll take having a horn that startles poor drivers vs. a little "beep beep"  when I need it.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 08/18/16 at 08:34:11

In Galveston a guy flipped the left turn signal and just changed lanes on me. I was maybe five feet behind. I was gaining. It's raining. And that horn was just not enough for him to hear. I considered kicking the car, but elected to goose it and get by before he was finished with the lane change. I didn't look back to see if he was shocked that a motorcycle was actually in the lane that he just took.

I rode for over seven hours without seeing a bike. Only saw two, man and woman, each on the obligatory Harley, in Lufkin. And they were not dressed for rain, not really dressed for riding. Bare arms,,  and no gloves..

I'm gonna get a horn on it.. might not be sexy looking, but it will be heard.

Dave, DB was one of the most confusing things in electronics school. How is it possible to even Have negative DB?
As weird as
Holes moving through solid state conductors was, at least that seems possible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #39 - 08/18/16 at 12:07:44

That Harley horn cost waay too much but it fits on the stock bracket and wires reach just point the bracket to rear, very simple install
It's loud as hell ! Shiney black plastic blends in with frame nicely .

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #40 - 08/18/16 at 13:23:31

Ruttly,

How about showing us a picture?

Kenny

« Last Edit: 08/19/16 at 09:30:09 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #41 - 08/18/16 at 19:49:32

Sorry posting pics is not my thing
PM your email to me I'll send a pic

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #42 - 08/19/16 at 09:35:34

Two horns are definitely louder than one horn.

At the moment I have the factory horn mounted, with jumper wires going to a second horn from Amazon. It is loud but I wouldn't say it is a pleasant sound.

I am having trouble deciding where to mount the 2nd. horn.

I am also having difficulty making up my mind where to mount the relay. If anyone else has used a relay perhaps they could share where they mounted it?

Kenny G    Undecided

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 08/19/16 at 10:22:22

Kenny mount relay close to oem horn so you can get oem horn wiring to reach relay , less wiring that way

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #44 - 08/19/16 at 11:43:42

I took off the factory reflectors on the frame and you can use the machine screws from those reflectors to the threaded holes where the reflectors mount.  That's where I put the 2 FIAMM El Grande's.  

And ruttly, while I respect anyone's privacy, posting pics to the forum helps the community.  Give and take.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:14:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That's not a horn !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.