Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel issues??? (Read 137 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
fuel issues???
08/11/16 at 10:27:44

So on the way to work this morning Ol' Sliver starts misfiring and running rough. She has no power but continues to run roughly. Can't hardly get morn 40 out of her.
It idles ok with the choke full on. Under a load she begins to faulter immediately.
Lotsa gas both in the tank and delivered to the carb. I am assuming the needle has some crapola in it but I haven't had it apart yet. I will explore to night after work.

Any experienced suggestions will help immensely.

Thanks

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: fuel issues???
Reply #1 - 08/11/16 at 11:19:31

So... do I have to ask? what petcock do you have?

WWW   IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 08/11/16 at 12:57:26

Raptor, that's virtually the only thing that's been changed on this bike. I have good flow @ the carb from the tank.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/11/16 at 13:09:34

Possible stuck or misbehaving slide.  
Tap the outside of the slide area with it running.

Possbile dirt in a jet.  
Drain bowl into a glass.  Look for gunk.
Drop the bowl, look for gunk in the bottom.
Pull main and pilot jets to check for blockage.

Anything more and you are pulling the carb off the bike...

If you really like working upside down in a cramped area, you might get the float off, then you can get the float needle and seat off and check the little filter on top of the seat.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/11/16 at 13:26:11

Put a rag under the carb/over the starter area, etc. before doing any work with the carb on the bike.  Little things that fall tend to disappear down in there and make you say four letter words...and make up new ones too.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/11/16 at 13:26:52

Well GUS, If the motor was warmed up you shouldn't have had to pull out the choke to have it idle,so I'm think it might be related to the float bowl level, could be the screen plugged under the float valve seat ,it could slow flow into the bowl and cause the type of problems your having .You might what to do as Stewmills ,said above first ,drain the bowl into a clear vessel and see if there's crud in the gas you drained.YOU could also place another vessel under the drain and turn your petcock on and see if you have a decent flow out the bowl drain , if not that screen is suspect, or your float is hanging up.(tap the side of the bowl with a screwdriver handle and test again)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 08/11/16 at 14:36:12

I tapped as best I could on the carb. while it was running and didn't seem to make any difference in the way it ran. This led me to believe something is plugged. If there is a screen assoc with the float assembly that is probably plugged.
I bought this bike for a song with 2500 miles on it. It was 12 yrs old. It has sat around for years. Ive put 4000 miles on it since Oct. Not surprised it quit. I've had to do nothing but change oil since I bought it. It's over due for a good carb cleaning at least.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 08/11/16 at 14:47:07

If it sat for a while and you never cleaned the carb or anything, then it may be time for a good bath.  Have you (sorry if I overlooked it) opened the drain screw on the bowl to see if it drains clean or if there are bits of stuff coming out? You can do that without having to take off anything...just be careful, those screws can be crusted in there and if you fight it too hard you can strip the head easily if you aren't careful.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/11/16 at 18:03:59

THe screws are JIS, Japanese industrial standard, they (the x groves are at a different angle than Phillips) a Phillips will work fairly well if you grind or file the point down so the blade fits deeper into the JIs screws.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 08/11/16 at 20:04:32

OK, so after work I took the old Dodge & rescued Ol' Sliver. Brought him home. I took Stews advise and drained the bowl into a glass jar.
Sure enough! Looked like some one tried starting a sand box in there. I took the bowl off ( I should took pics. darn) and it was pretty ugly in there. I turned out the jet and there it was! The jet was nearly closed off with some sort of organic material. It was late so I blew everything out good and put him back together. I turned the key and the gas on and he took right off. I rode about 10 miles without a hitch.

Lessoned learned tho. I'll be ordering a gasket set for the carb. and as long as I'm at it I may just take the time to swap out the jet as long as I've got it apart.

Oh, and batman; yes JIS! I've known about it for some time and have been meaning to get some screw drivers of the JIS variety. For now I'm making due.

Thanks guys!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 08/11/16 at 20:18:17

Cool. I'm sure that makes you feel better.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 08/11/16 at 20:29:41

No bout adoubt it Stew!  I'll take my chance in the morning and ride Ol' Sliver to work again. Nothing more satisfying than finding a real solution for a problem. It's the grey area I don't like.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/14/16 at 15:46:20

Gus just a thought .That organic material might be the rubber gas line ,your bike"s a2002 that"s14 year old rubber ,a foot of 5/16 gas hose is fairly cheap!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 08/15/16 at 09:24:22

Good point batman, I'd thought of that but hadn't made it a priority. I probably should. Beats setting alongside the road.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel issues???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.