carb question (Read 61 times)
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
carb question
08/05/16 at 15:06:14

just bought a stock 2012 S40 with 9,500 miles on it from original owner.  Played with it for a couple days, then fuel seemed to pour out of every orifice.  Decided it was the fuel petcock so ordered the Raptor.  Also decided to change oil (Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-40), Spark plug (Autolite XS4163 Iridium), oil filter, K&N air filter.  Changed all of the above. Hopped on, hard start but she did start, wouldn't idle, died after about 20 seconds and now refuses to start.  Sounded like fuel starvation.  I'm assuming in the month she was down waiting for me to work on her and after being flooded beyond reason, the jets may have decided to gum up, and perhaps I should take it apart and clean the carb.  Questions... 1)  the above purchases appropriate for the bike (oil, spark plug, etc.,)  2)  Since I'm taking the carb apart anyway, should I be changing jets? All my riding is generally between sea level and 1,500' elevation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: carb question
Reply #1 - 08/05/16 at 15:20:08

I hope you cleaned the four years of crud out from around the plug before you pulled it.

IDK hoot about the oil. Hopefully it is okay with a wet clutch.
Any
Super Dooper extra slick fuel saving oil is not okay.
Lots of us and bunches of people on other forums use Rotella T 15-40. Not sure if it's still okay with zinc, but Redline can fix that.
It's good enough for long haul diesels.
Welcome aboard, and since you're obviously ready to play with it, you'll be happy to find tons of threads on customizing and doing the maintenance.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/05/16 at 15:41:34

Quote:
Since I'm taking the carb apart anyway, should I be changing jets?

Get it running first and then ride it for a bit. You might not need to change anything. Unless the original owner messed with it the bike should run pretty well with the stock jets.  At 250ft above sea level the stock jets in my bike are just fine.

Quote:
I'm assuming in the month she was down waiting for me to work on her and after being flooded beyond reason, the jets may have decided to gum up,

Assuming the gas was reasonably fresh when you parked it, a month probably isn't long enough to gum up a carb. Cleaning it won't hurt, but if the bike ran ok till the petcock issue, that may not be your problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/05/16 at 15:55:21

No Start is very often a Less Than Hot battery.
Just because it's spining over doesn't mean that the ignition system is getting the voltage it needs to provide a hot spark.
Pulling the plug won't be a real test.
Check the battery voltage.
Check it while you're holding the start button.
Report back.
Or, take the battery to be tested.
Or, put a charger on and see what kinda current it takes,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arcreefer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maui, Hawaii
Reply #4 - 08/05/16 at 19:26:59

First of all, Thanks!  Could not imagine a better forum for this bike.  Really appreciate the help.   I did test the battery when I had the bike apart for all the maintenance and Raptor install.  However, I didn't load test it.  I also installed an EMGO battery charger and had it charging a couple days before the restart attempt.  

Top of the head was a little wet looking when I changed the plug.  Not sure what that's all about.  I'll be taking the carb apart over next week and will report back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/05/16 at 19:32:41

I did test the battery when I had the bike apart

Voltage 12.5 ish?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 08/05/16 at 19:56:22

Arcreefer wrote on 08/05/16 at 19:26:59:
I didn't load test it.

That would be best. It may show full charge without a load but drop considerably under a load.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/05/16 at 20:00:26

That would be best. It may show full charge without a load but drop considerably under..

True enough, but if it's Not ballpark 12.5, you should charge it some. The amp gauge can help guess at health.
Nothing beats a real test.
Battery age?
Did it get stuck in a garage for a year?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:30:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.