Send Topic Print
Chains? (Read 764 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Chains?
Reply #15 - 08/05/16 at 15:44:04

Gonna use oil that had lost its ability to protect moving parts and was dirty to protect moving parts?
Chain lubes are an art and science, not meant to be cheap, but to be cost effective. Chain is an expendable item, but it's costly enough to Want to extend its life. Figuring out just How Much
YOUR chain should be protected is something that you will have to do. Cost of the chain,miles you can expect from it with
Cheap oil, miles you can expect with a Good lube, hassle of replacement, what chain wear does to sprockets,etc. Etc.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 08/05/16 at 16:04:18

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/05/16 at 15:08:24:
Dad keeps talking about the local dealer favoring wax over oil. Does that only work with sealed o-ring/x-ring chains or does it work with rollers too? I wouldn't think so.

I wonder if that's a good way to recycle waste oil-- you know, used oil, gas, diesel, whatever mix. Just brush it all over the chain all the time. Or will I just wear out my chain? Grin

Yes, chain wax protects better and doesn't sling oil every which way.  Take your old oil to the auto parts store to be disposed of properly.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 08/05/16 at 18:19:06

I'll 2nd (3rd?) that. Recycle used oil, don't reuse it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #18 - 08/05/16 at 18:34:37

Skinny low-budget  chain, old used oil, mis-matched sprockets, dirt-track 'grinding paste' sticking to it...
The least that can happen is that you have to adjust the chain a lot.
The worst that can happen is losing your left leg below the knee.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 08/05/16 at 19:09:56

I guess it's kinda like this: What's the point of using expensive lube when it's constantly getting dirty anyway?  Huh Some people use as little as WD-40, and that's not really made to be a lubricant. Does chainsaw oil work? Different kind of chain. I don't think saw chains have rollers, do they?

We use Rotella as opposed to expensive, overrated motorcycle engine oils. Why shouldn't I be cynical and mistrusting of the rest of the motorcycle-specific product mindset? How would wax possibly work in a roller chain? Maybe it would roll free. Maybe it would stick the rollers up. Huh I don't know. Is that wax just meant for sealed chains?

Just all seems a little questionable. Undecided

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #20 - 08/05/16 at 19:19:27

One passage here says kerosene wash followed by heavy-weight motor oil.

http://nosynation.com/best-motorcycle-chain-lube/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/05/16 at 19:34:20

Sounds like you're on the right track, again..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #22 - 08/05/16 at 19:45:47

Chain wax is cheap, you can get napa label if you'd like.  It is a bit thicker and it sticks to a surface a little bit better.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/05/16 at 19:56:19

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are, so I can break them when I think I can get away with it..

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #24 - 08/05/16 at 19:56:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/05/16 at 19:34:20:
Sounds like you're on the right track, again..

I reckon so....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #25 - 08/05/16 at 20:08:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/05/16 at 19:56:19:
I don't make the rules, I just know what they are, so I can break them when I think I can get away with it..

When someone asks me what have I been up to, my standard response is  --   "as much as I can get away with."   Wink

Best regards,

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #26 - 08/05/16 at 20:28:33

Seems like the smaller sprockets are commonly cheaper (not always). They use less chain too, but then I won't have as much room around the swingarm if I use small sprockets, and small sprockets would seem to increase chain wear.  Undecided

I was thinking of a tooth count in the upper 40s for the rear like a 47 (preferaby prime numbers) and 16-18 in the front. There's been rumors that 18 wouldn't work, but it seems that there have been some to have done it-- at least one or more.

Is worrying about prime tooth numbers worth a few more dollars (45 vs 43 or 46, 48, 49, 50 vs 47) ? Higher tooth count? Would I be better off with the commonly used 43 tooth rear setup?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 08/05/16 at 21:59:48

Use a 530 chain, soak it in 90wt oil the. Hang chain over a bucket till it stops dripping wipe clean & install ,no used oil , did you buy sprockets yet?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #28 - 08/06/16 at 00:26:06

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/05/16 at 14:53:58:
I guess it's whatever works well for a long time and is dirt cheap. For 520, I have to find the sprockets first. The chain is cheap... not sure how easily I can find the sprockets.

If you can't find the sprocket you want in 520, but can find a 530, you can have the sprockets machined down to fit the 520 chain.

I'd recommend a DID chain but only because it's what I use and I find them excellent.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #29 - 08/06/16 at 05:09:35

Ruttly wrote on 08/05/16 at 21:59:48:
Use a 530 chain, soak it in 90wt oil the. Hang chain over a bucket till it stops dripping wipe clean & install ,no used oil , did you buy sprockets yet?

Nope, Not yet.

I've read about doing the same thing with hot wax.

Is it easy to remove a chain and kerosene wash/ gear oil soak after installing it as maintenance? In other words, Do these cheap chains come with and easily removable master? Gear oil seems less convenient than motor oil. What would I do with the leftover soak oil as it's contaminated? Keep it to pour over the chain later?

Will 75w-90 work, as that's what I would have on hand? Gear oil is better than motor oil for extreme pressure. That's good. Does a roller chain benefit? What if I put motor oil on after the gear oil. Those two are incompatible, right? Yeah, I know. I'm getting ridiculous overthinking this. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:32:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chains?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.