YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Chains?
Reply #105 - 08/16/16 at 07:06:08

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/15/16 at 10:13:14:
I found a great way to soak the chain in gear oil. A ziplock bag.  Smiley Minimizes the amount of gear oil needed. I've got it soaking right now.

Jeeze.....that is going to be one incredibly messy/oil soaked motorcycle when you mount that chain.  I guess you have never owned a motorcycle with a chain before.....no matter how much you wipe that chain down or let it "drip" before you mount it - the darn thing is going to throw oil everywhere when you go for a ride.

The dedicated spray lubes and waxes go on very wet, creep into the rollers/pins, then it they get tacky/waxy and generally stay on the chain.

The gear oil will be coating the rear wheel/tire , and the engine case where the chain makes a sharp turn at the front sprocket. Stock up on some degreaser.....you are going to need it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #106 - 08/16/16 at 16:53:24

Oil slinging and maintenance. The two worse things about chain.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #107 - 08/19/16 at 04:25:18

I've never had a chain that didn't fling lube off it. It's just something to live with. Never tried the wax type lubes though.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #108 - 08/19/16 at 06:01:58

I'm using a wax-based lube with an o-ring chain on my Kaw 800. It works well. There is little mess and I don't care about the small power loss of the o-ring chain. However, I still have to pull maintenance apply the lube. My Savage was my belt drive and spoiled me.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #109 - 08/19/16 at 22:29:41

FYI

Go to "Tractor Supply" and look at the size 50 chain.   Its the same size as a motorcycle 530 .   The tractor supply chains come in 10 foot lengths for about $20.oo  Wink  ,  and they last a lone time on heavy equipment or motorcycles.   They have master links , half links , and sprockets of all sizes .    All their sprockets have a two inch hole in them so you need to cut them to fit your application.  
The size 40 is the same as the bike industry's 428.    If you want "HEAVY DUTY"  check out the size 60 chains !  Grin

I use the spray white grease on my heavy equipment and it stays on good , but have used the spray wax made for chains with good success too .   Smiley

I haft to wonder ??? Why would anyone want a chain when the belts are so much more trouble free and cleaner ???   The Kawasaki pulleys will gear the LS650's up as much as needed even too much for stock engines.    Some times I'd like to go lower geared a little (parades and such) for ultra slow speeds.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #110 - 08/20/16 at 00:38:33

MMRanch wrote on 08/19/16 at 22:29:41:
FYI

Go to "Tractor Supply" and look at the size 50 chain.   Its the same size as a motorcycle 530 .   The tractor supply chains come in 10 foot lengths for about $20.oo  Wink  ,  and they last a lone time on heavy equipment or motorcycles.   They have master links , half links , and sprockets of all sizes .    All their sprockets have a two inch hole in them so you need to cut them to fit your application.  
The size 40 is the same as the bike industry's 428.    If you want "HEAVY DUTY"  check out the size 60 chains !  Grin

I use the spray white grease on my heavy equipment and it stays on good , but have used the spray wax made for chains with good success too .   Smiley

I haft to wonder ??? Why would anyone want a chain when the belts are so much more trouble free and cleaner ???   The Kawasaki pulleys will gear the LS650's up as much as needed even too much for stock engines.    Some times I'd like to go lower geared a little (parades and such) for ultra slow speeds.  

Downshift   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #111 - 08/20/16 at 14:20:08

I guess it gives length options for modded bikes, plus old school.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #112 - 08/20/16 at 19:42:39

Downshift  

No Lancer --- The marching band leads the parades , you never get off the clutch ...  Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #113 - 08/21/16 at 10:00:45

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home