Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oh boy! another ryra!-NOT! (Read 224 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Oh boy! another ryra!-NOT!
08/03/16 at 19:27:34

I guess I must be getting old .I don't know why so many of our members are turning bikes into café racers. If this is the style of bike you like ,why not go buy a ninja 300 ,and have a purpose built ,more comfortable, and faster bike,with better brakes and handling , and save all the hassle and grief? I guess I bought my savage to be what it is a cruiser ,a bike I have taken on 2000+ mile trips ,a bike I can ride until my tank hits reserve without my butt being on fire,a bike I've done 750 miles on day after day,and not felt beat up. I can understand the need to personalize your bike,I give credit to WD and his pictures of his 98 for leading me in that direction,from the crome eagle"s head on the sportser  front fender to the '38 beehive taillight on the Harley rear fender,my bike sure doesn't look stock.but it is much more rideable ! I'm sure to take some heat for this ,but I had to lay it out there.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oh boy! another ryra!-NOT!
Reply #1 - 08/03/16 at 19:34:43

Quite a few of us older Savagers agree with you totally.   The crotch rocket seating position is for the birds  -- young flexible loonie birds that is ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/03/16 at 19:35:00

Daaaaang! You're a tough old bat!
But a 300 Ninja does make sense. I want one of those,too.
Why modify the Savage? Dang if I know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 08/03/16 at 21:23:08

Well, I guess there are advantages to some of the cafe racer features Less weight=faster and easier handling. Taller seat height might make things harder and rearset pegs are overkill. I don't like to be forced to hold myself up by my wrists. I think standard (mid/dirt style) controls might be comfortable, though,  especially with the right handlebars. The 18 inch rear wheel opens the possibilities for dual sport tires.
As you might be able to tell, I would consider something more along the lines of a scrambler than a primitive crotch rocket.

Of course, people probably do this for looks. It could also do with the fact that people who make these don't want something as modern in design as a Ninja. They want a primitive crotch rocket. They want something easier to work on-- simpler and more old fashioned and classic.

They want a CAFE RACER, not a NINJA

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 08/03/16 at 21:39:11

Because they make very nice cafe racers. The big air cooled single fills the bill, parts and bikes are easy to get and it's not a SR500. I'd build one if I had more $$$ to spare. Personally, I'm not into the Savage's standard look. They're amazingly easy to transform into what you want though. The cafe racer riding position is more comfortable for me than the cruiser style. I've never ridden a cruiser that I'd want to spend all day on. Hurts my lower back. Rearsets and clip ons, no problem, all day.
As for the Ninja argument, why ride something everyone else has? It's nice to ride a unique machine that has the style the individual requires. It's a nostalgia thing. You could buy a brand newie, but the same goes for cars and music. Sometimes the old stuff is what floats the boat. Besides, I can't f...ing stand the noise those parallel twin Ninjas make. It's horrible.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/03/16 at 22:54:19

Nostalgia... an air-cooled, thumper, cafe'... a la IOMTT...
Not a lot of water cooled, vertical twin, cafe's in the 50's 60's...
Especially,.. with plastic, crotch rocket, styling... Undecided

Wanted a Norton, BSA, Triumph,.. with Japanese quality and price...

Plenty of reasons... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/04/16 at 04:03:21

For me, the sport bike look just isn't the image I feel comfortable with......especially with the young squids scaring the daylights out of normal folks by running around in packs and stunting on the public roads.  (I plan on doing the Cafe' conversion to my 250 Ninja this winter).

And I don't find the Cruiser seating style comfortable for me, it seems to put a lot more weight on my tailbone and I get tired much faster in that seating position. (The Cafe' seating position does put more weight up on your arms/wrists and those can get tired).

My Cafe' conversion just fits me a lot better....both physically and in personality.  The big single is far more relaxing to ride around on the twisties than the Ninja, (which requires a lot of shifting to keep the bike over 8,000 rpm if you want to hustle out of the corners), and that constant gear changing doesn't make for a relaxing ride.  The big single just "thumps" along without drawing a lot of negative attention even at full throttle.....it doesn't scream at them like the high revving sport bike engines.

And.....my Cafe' bike gets a lot of positive comments.  Many folks think that it is a restored vintage bike (the 1972 fuel tank fools a lot of them), the big air cooled single looks nothing like a modern water cooled engine, and the lack of "bulk" implies a performance character in a non-threatening way.

The stock Savage is pretty unique, in that it provides a good starting point for conversion to a Bobber, or Cafe' bike, a Scrambler, and a few folks have even done hardtail choppers and more conventional "retro standard" type motorcycles.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/04/16 at 16:37:01

Dave , I don't want anyone to take what I said wrong .Your  café is a beauty! but you also have /or are looking for a bike you and your lady can take trips on.Iguess what I was trying to get at is if you have only one bike why would you build a café? I think most of people I see on the site building "ryca's are newbies and may be selling themselves short if it"s their only bike. Then again if it"s their dream far be it for me to stand in their way!

« Last Edit: 08/04/16 at 20:58:25 by batman »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/04/16 at 18:32:15

No offense taken, I understand what you meant and I do agree with you....that most new riders really need to spend some time on a very affordable, dependable motorcycle.   One that doesn't have a bunch of HP....so they can work on their riding style and learn to be smooth riders before they get a monster bike.  I believe a lot of riders get discouraged as they get some crappy bike that they can't keep running, or they get one that is too fast and they get hurt.  In either case....they can easily become somebody that "used to ride".

Once they learn to ride pretty well, and they develop a sense for their style of riding....then they will have a better understanding if they need a dual sport, ADV bike, Scrambler, Sport Tourer, Crotch Rocket, Cruiser, Bobber....or Cafe' bike.  When it comes to project bikes, I believe that some folks get in over their heads and don't have the proper skill or tools to get the job done....and it can become a project that never gets finished.  Thankfully I had years of tinkering before I took on my conversion and it didn't take too long.

If I could only have one bike....it would be my Savage Cafe' - as my wife isn't all that thrilled about riding anyhow.  The Cafe' would not be a bike for long trips.....but I can ride it all day with rest stops along the way.  It does fit my riding style, and for my size it fits my body very well....and it "is" the right bike for me at this point in my life.  I am going to being working on a more "standard" version in the next year...one that resembles a 60's or 70's era British single.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 08/04/16 at 21:55:23

well Dave I wouldn't give up on the wife just yet ,I think sometimes they aren't happy about riding be cause they think about things like ,what would happen to the kids if we both died in a bike accident . mine was like that but when the kids were up and gone she joined me on a trip to FLA. and back just for starters, so you never know.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/05/16 at 03:14:22

My wife and I tried riding double on the Savage before I did the Cafe' conversion, and it was just too small for the both of us.  Later I sold my Trials motorcycle and bought the ST1100 Honda so my wife could go on rides with me.  The bike was just too big for us, and the wind got between us and would just beat her up....especially if there was any cross wind.  When you add to that the helmet hair and how horribly hot it gets with your "gear" on when it is 90 degrees....and she just finds it tedious.

We sold the ST1100 and bought an NT700, and it fits us much better.  There no longer is a foot of room between us, and I bought a bigger windscreen that keeps the buffeting wind off her.  She enjoys the rides much better know - but our rides are still very limited in length.  We did take the ST1100 to Michigan on a trailer a couple years ago, and she did enjoy the day rides and exploring on the bike.

One of the best things I did, was to buy the Sena SMH10 helmet radios.  She is far happier when we can chat while riding.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/05/16 at 06:30:53

The
Rewards of riding, as passenger, are not nearly the same as the
Rewards of riding, as driver..
Getting ready to a ride, same hassle. Passengers have a Really crappy windshield to look through, and the airflow is messed up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/05/16 at 08:21:46

I got a pillion ride last week to pick up my buddies car from the shop...

It's scary back there... Huh
... I kept wanting to put my feet down at stops... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #13 - 08/05/16 at 09:42:01

I've been riding for about 15 years now so I don't consider myself a newbie to riding. Converting the Savage with a Ryca kit checked a number of boxes for me.

My last bike was a big sport touring bike that could pretty easily do an indicated 170mph. While the rush of acceleration was great, it was always short lived because you just couldn't push the bike without breaking any laws. You can push the Savage without getting to those ludicrous speeds. It goes with the saying that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

I'm with Dave on the riding position of a sport bike. I'm just more comfortable that way. I've ridden a number of Harleys and I rode the Savage for a while before tearing it down. It's just not comfortable for me. It hurt my back and I felt like I had to hold on tight to the bars to keep from getting pushed backwards from the wind. On a sport bike the wind actually kind of cancels out the forward leaning and holds you in a good position that doesn't necessarily put a lot of force on your arms / wrists.

I also liked the way that the kit looks. It's unique and not something that you're going to get out of too many other modern bikes.

The last thing is that I actually wanted to work on something for once. I don't have the skills or knowledge to make this stuff from scratch so it was a good middle ground. I can feel like I accomplished something without that much actual work.  Smiley

Would I do it again? I'm a solid maybe. We'll see after I get a couple thousand miles on this one. It also depends on if I can somehow convince the wife that I need a second bike.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 08/05/16 at 12:46:48

Most of us that ride singles now rode them in our younger days and remember the pleasures of riding big single and I would bet we all had a good selection of bikes but now we are back where we started riding big singles. For me I don't want to ride a cookie cutter bike , I want to ride something I built, I don't do trends.a. A bike is a bike till you tear it down and rebuild it in your vision of what you want , now it has become a art form! Not all Ryca are created the same , different models with different visions , different intended uses , but all are artwork. Seen some
crappy ones too. The Ryca is a cool way to gain the bike building skills and express yourself by creating your own bike, I found it to be all to consuming to solve all the problems myself till I was able to ride it! What a huge grin when it fired up, what a rush to go ride it. I love my Ryca no regrets , just the thrill of riding it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:24:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh boy! another ryra!-NOT!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.