Just bolts on! (Read 63 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Just bolts on!
08/03/16 at 18:18:25

So, it was time to swap out the original full-figured flywheel for the new, dietetic one. Cover was off, so alternator off, and....
Big honking nut holding the flywheel on. Hmm. Need a 46mm socket. And a deep one at that. Poke around the stash. Have a shallow 46mm one from some gag a million years ago. Dig through catalogues. Only way to get a 46mm deep is 3/4" drive. Look for 1/2-3/4 adapter so I can use my impact gun. Can't find one.
Real socket is close to $50. Cheap Chinese stuff about $20.
Keep digging. Find a NOS Williams on Ebay and chisel him down to $15. Order the adapter.
When it all shows up I skim the face of the socket to get a better purchase on the nut. It's only about 10mm tall. The nut is in a recess, but the socket actually clears!
While digging, I find the 1/2-3/4 adapter I bought long ago and forgot about. Now I have two.
Put it all together and blast off the nut. Flywheel walks right off. Clean it all up a little Anti-Sieze on the splines, red Loctite on the threads, and it all jumps together.  
Modified Vulcan front pulley is on. Have to twiddle the alt cover for the later style starter gears. Then it can all go back together.

Flywheel_and_pulley.JPG

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Just bolts on!
Reply #1 - 08/03/16 at 18:42:27

There you go poking holes in stuff again!  Grin

It'd be interesting to see how she revs with the lighter parts.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:42:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bolts on!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.