Send Topic Print
Stripped clutch nut (Read 81 times)
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stripped clutch nut
07/31/16 at 16:25:25

Hello Savage people.....second question from a lurker, who gets most of his info from your excellent search engine.  Thank you!!!  Is there a source someone has already used for a wider clutch nut.?  More thread. It was loose when I got I n there. Evidently spun in place with lock tab on. Don't want to weld it .Clutch worked. Just went in to replace.the cam chain. P.s. versys gizmo was fully extended to the stop.  40k.  05 ...abused as well. Thought I would.try to.bring it back to life. New chain on. Thank,s Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stripped clutch nut
Reply #1 - 07/31/16 at 16:43:45

Haven't heard anyone with a stripped nut before.
You might try a new nut 1st.

xxlron wrote on 07/31/16 at 16:25:25:
P.s. versys gizmo was fully extended to the stop.  40k.  

Tell us all about it, why did you go in?

WWW   IP Logged
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/31/16 at 17:19:40

Bought it for Health reason,s ...mental and physical.  Newly retired, new knee,s 10 heart stents, pacemaker/defibrilator , perforated eardrums, and recently blind in one eye...... used to have a 441 Victor as a teen, 45  years ago, and loved the THUMP.   Had over 10 Harleys (all sportsters), all rebuilds from salvage.  A couple airplanes. Etc. Doc said get involved in things not to strenuous, so took up painting and fishing. Fine diversions , but missed the tinkering and smell of gas Smiley......went into it because the first thing I did after hauling it home in a trailer was type suzuki savage into a web browser. You guy,s said ck the cam chain, pretty adamantly.  Glad I did. The chain was meeting itself on the inside. Your pretty  little machining  gizmo was there, fully extended, but can't fix stupid or cheap. I,m sure it must have been the original chain, and should have been replaced 20 k ago.    Thanks for helping an old guy terrorize the neighborhood .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/01/16 at 04:23:52

It appears the center clutch nut is stripped.....the one that hold the clutch basket onto the transmission shaft.  Are the threads on the nut stripped.....or have they been stripped on the shaft as well?

I don't know if installing a wider nut would cause any interference with the operation of the clutch.....what would have to be determined.  Often these type of nuts have a smaller hex than would be common for a generic nut of this size - so once you determine the thread size/pitch it might be possible to buy a generic metric nut......or possibly use a second one.....or install a washer to space the nut out a little farther.  (I would not attempt to re-use the existing nut, as the threads may be boogered up a bit).

I have an engine apart at home, and I can measure the thread size tonight (Hope I remember).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/01/16 at 05:50:26

While you're in there there's an additional mod to the tensioner.
A hole drilled and a stiff spring in the end that slips on the pin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
xxlron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/01/16 at 11:11:35

Thanks for the replys. Called my local fastenal dealer who said he has one that is wider . so will just take.tbe motor to him and ck the fit. And has the pin in the versy shaft already.   Mostly gone threds in the nut. Shaft threds still looks decent. Probaly could use the oem.  Does anyone use blue or red locktite on this nut?  Now on to the getting the half pencil out of.thr cylinder. None eraser end.  Yes. Should have used a straw.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/02/16 at 02:48:07

And has the pin in the versy shaft already.

We just worked out the new mod a few months ago

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:46:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped clutch nut

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.