Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laid the Savage down at 20 mph (Read 198 times)
whoisrawb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Laid the Savage down at 20 mph
07/30/16 at 18:39:58

Was going around a right turn last weekend and a car just pulled out right in front of me had to put the bike down, luckily i didn't get a scratch on me but looked at my bike she wasn't so lucky. I am looking for input for what i need to get back out there, Here is what is broken: the rear left turn signal, Bent the front left foot peg straight 90 degrees, bent the handle bars a bit as well as one of the clamps that holds the bars to the forks.

Today I wanted to tackle the front left foot peg, I started to remove the allen bolt but noticed I wasn't getting any traction on it when I was turning it, With Further inspection and a hammer I realized that the Allen bolt was snapped and about 1/4 inch if it remained in the hole still. I was able to get the remaining bolt extracted with one of those reverse bits and 1/8 metal bit. I had stock foot pegs for the moment so I Went ahead and ordered these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOULEVARD-S40-SAVAGE-CHROME-SPLIT-RUBBER-FOOT-PEGS-/3...

Does anyone know how I get a hold of one those allen bolts? should I just freestyle something at the local ACE Hardware? Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for the turn signals I had bought the bike with broken ones so I have already replaced them once, I purchased the same set of lights only 2 pcs instead of 4 this time around so Ill have an extra rear Right in the future  Grin

As for the handlebars, I never really liked the look of the pull back ones and my buddy has a Sportster with some drag bars, So I ordered those today  from bike bandit. They are pretty basic and are 1" all black

Anyone have any idea where I can buy those clamps that holds the bars to the fork, the left one got pretty hammered and definitely needs to replaced. Not really looking forward to having the bike not riding especially because the weather has been so nice. I keep replaying the moment of going down over and over in my head, like its a dream that didn't really happen but it sure did, didn't think it would but anyways thats where I am at.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Laid the Savage down at 20 mph
Reply #1 - 07/30/16 at 18:43:55

Glad you are OK.....the bike can be fixed much easier.

Foot peg bolts.....just buy the correct part from Suzuki.  Some pieces just can't be found at a local hardware store.  If you don't have a local dealer to buy from - then go online and use Bike Bandit, Motorcycle Superstore, Ron Ayers, or any online Suzuki parts supplier.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/30/16 at 19:23:18

Depending on your skills the signal stalks will fix if you have all the parts. Devcon five minute epoxy is good stuff. A piece of stiff wire running the length on the bottom braces it up.
If the lens or lens holder is busted, phhhht, get new..
A nice pair of after market or look in the Marketplace for take offs.

How did you go down on the left in a right turn?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
whoisrawb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/30/16 at 20:16:11

How did you go down on the left in a right turn?

Immediately after turning right he gunned it out of a driveway, I tried to cut left to avoid him but it was single lane with a center divider curb no where to go....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/30/16 at 20:36:17

I keep replaying the moment of going down over and over in my head,

That's a good thing.
During a rescreening think about, look for Any way you could have gotten it slowed down enough to not hit after you saw the car.
IF you really couldn't have avoided either hitting the car or dropping the bike, then maybe you were too fast for conditions, even If you weren't speeding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/01/16 at 18:23:23

Glad your ok! the bike will live again! there's two kinds of bikers those who have been down and those who will be,ask us how we know.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/02/16 at 06:48:21

I've had to straighten up more than a few bikes over the years.  (Thankfully all were motocross related crashes and I was never injured too badly.)

1) If the wheel is not centered on the top triple clamp (I'll get to the bars), make sure the fork tubes are not bent.  If they are, you'll never get the front end straight and you'll have to replace the fork tube(s).

2) Sometimes the tubes will be twisted in the triple clamps, the triple clamps are twisted, or the axle might have some binding.  To relieve the binding,  loosen the pinch bolts on the lower triple clamp, the top bolt on the the triple clamp, and the front axle pinch bolt.  Then put the wheel between your legs or against something solid, wiggle it back and forth a few times, and then center the wheel.  Then tighten everything back up.

3) Our bars are rubber mounted.  When these mounts look crooked, it's most likely that the mounts are simply twisted, the the bolts that hold the mounts to the triple clamp are bent (easily replaced) or the cap that the mount sits on is bent (easily fixed with a hammer).

4) If the bars are not badly bent, it's possible to straighten them out with a steal pipe (Especially easy with steal bars.)  Most of the time you just pipe on the bar, lean the bike over and sort of bounce the weight of the bike (and rider in the case of a lightweight motocross bike).

IP Logged
SugarBoogers

I love cheese!

Haverhill MA
Reply #7 - 08/02/16 at 14:41:37

You can use a hardware store bolt but it won't be stainless so you'll have to use an anti-seize gloop on the threads or they will eventually stick fast.

How do you remove a club soda stain?
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 08/02/16 at 20:08:47

Oh yes they will , just ask cheapnewbee

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 08/02/16 at 20:15:07

Glad for no injuries,well maybe your pride took the hit

Did you get a run in your panty hose?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 08/02/16 at 20:44:04

Ruttly wrote on 08/02/16 at 20:08:47:
Oh yes they will , just ask cheapnewbee

YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley

Nah, Go ahead and use it without antiseize. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Just make sure you enjoy PAIN!

....OR, the possibility that the next owner will hunt you down and beat you mercilessly.  Grin

« Last Edit: 08/02/16 at 22:24:36 by cheapnewb24 »  

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 08/02/16 at 21:39:21

SugarBoogers wrote on 08/02/16 at 14:41:37:
You can use a hardware store bolt but it won't be stainless so you'll have to use an anti-seize gloop on the threads or they will eventually stick fast.

Strangely, I've heard that stainless makes things worse.  Huh Weird... Chrome-plated oem bolt with anti-seize is the best combination I gather.  You can still get an oem bolt. I bought one myself. It costs money. Cheesy

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 08/03/16 at 04:01:01

Glad you're ok though.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 08/03/16 at 06:54:24

Don't much matter what type of bolt it's the anti seize! I use a nuclear grade pure nickel anti seize for boilers & heat exchangers. Don't for get the anti seize !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #14 - 08/03/16 at 21:29:12

I'm so glad you're okay! I can't contribute anything intelligent to your future rebuild, but just wanted to wish you well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:42:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Laid the Savage down at 20 mph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.