Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another S40 "starter bike" article (Read 165 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Another S40 "starter bike" article
07/28/16 at 04:20:12

Did anybody point this out to folks here??

http://www.courant.com/community/manchester/hc-mr-manchester-motorcycle-life-...

Here's a small excerpt from the article:
"On any given day, LaPenna, who is 5-feet, 1-inch tall and 139 pounds, maneuvers a 300 to 400 pound bike for seven hours. Though she has always wanted a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, LaPenna recently got her first bike, a Suzuki Boulevard S40 with a 650 engine, a smaller model more suited for newer cyclists."

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Another S40 "starter bike" article
Reply #1 - 07/28/16 at 05:33:04

Well, they aren't completely wrong. For a small statured rider, the Savage/S40 tends to be more than just a starter or reentry bike. Especially if they find this forum and get the machine working properly.

As issued at purchase, the bike is terrible. Lean surging, belt too tight, cables too loose, bad brakes, low quality underinflated tires... A weekend or two of reading and wrenching turns the bike into a much better machine. A month worth of reading and parts changing nets owners a machine that can out brake-handle-accelerate much larger and considerably more expensive cruisers.

Worst bike I ever bought was my brand new stone stock 1998 Savage. Best bike I've had in a long time was my heavily modified 1998 Savage. My heavily modified 2003 Savage is a joke in comparison. Same basic modifications, for whatever reason is less responsive and gets half the fuel economy. And has a much lower top speed, the 03 is done at 65mph, the 98 could bury the speedometer needle and keep pulling.

If the press keeps referring to it as a starter bike, and it keeps it in production, we win.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/28/16 at 06:43:55

. Best bike I've had in a long time was my heavily modified 1998 Savage. My heavily modified 2003 Savage is a joke in comparison. Same basic modifications, for whatever reason is less responsive and gets half the fuel economy. And has a much lower top speed, the 03 is done at 65mph, the 98 could bury the speedometer needle and keep pulling.

I sure don't understand why the newer one wound up being less of a good running bike.. Anyone?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/28/16 at 07:15:00

Production Tolerances

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/28/16 at 09:19:41

Boy, they all added up to shortchange him that time..
I've Heard of the occasional car that just ran better than most.
In fact, we had one. Had a Jeep Sport, IIRC its name, and it Ran. I beat a big dually pickup by a fender length. Dude was Pissed. He wanted to race, and all I had was a stock six banger.
When I got the transmission fixed I told the guy to floor it off the line when he tested it.
He was impressed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/28/16 at 16:52:00

The Older Savages were built by Suzuki in Japan using 100% Japanese sourced component parts.    

Last assembly production I heard of "spotted locationally" was somewhere in Indochina using parts competitively quoted from Korea, Indian and Chinese suppliers.

Kawasaki, Suzuki and several other brands actually share assembly plants now as a cost saving measure.   Some Kawa and Suzuki engines are 100% identical except for the covers ......

Older Savages used 100% cut steel gearing, the newer units show a goodly amount of sintered powdered metal technology being used for gearing and other uses.

They are NOT the same processes, nor are they even built in the same country as before.

Also remember, over 30 years of technological progress has rolled down the pike since the LS650 was designed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 07/30/16 at 12:01:10

I would assume that these tolerances OF speaks of can swing wildly in either direction. I have a 2003 Savage that responds nothing like WD has described and its bone stock except the petcock. I haven't even messed with the jetting yet. I'm not sure how fast it will go. Way faster than it should for sure!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/31/16 at 03:30:31

I have a 2009 S40 that with just a wee bit of jetting was capable of 100 mph with conditions right and the high 90's anytime.  It is one of those rare machines that is just really good.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 07/31/16 at 06:21:36

Lancer, no disrespect intended regarding the following comment.  But, you must know your stuff really well because mine is working hard to go 80.   Undecided

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/01/16 at 07:46:53

Mine would hit 95 bone stock with no windscreen and my lying on the gas tank on a flat road

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 08/01/16 at 10:58:00

I've got a stock 2012 and have hit 90 MPH on interstate but it didn't feel like it was really top end yet. Granted, I only ran it that speed for maybe 30 seconds before I slowed down to a paltry 80.   Undecided

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 08/01/16 at 15:55:55

Discussion of this type was in the ninja 300 area also.

Mine was built in Thailand... the newer ones say "Made in Japan", but they are still assembled in Thailand.... go figure.

Every motorcycle built now days has parts from all over the world. And a dang good few of them (including hardly Davidson) are assembled in Thailand.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/02/16 at 07:14:59

I'm going to try the 98's carb on the 03.

The 03 is already running the floorboards, headlight, rear fender/lights, and exhaust from the 98.

The 98 right now is still a parts junker, but I'm slowly replacing the entire electrical system to build a different custom.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 04:55:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Another S40 "starter bike" article

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.