Send Topic Print
Carburetor Help... (Read 341 times)
hockmanjosh
YaBB Newbies

Park City, UT
Re: Carburetor Help...
Reply #30 - 07/29/16 at 12:12:12

batman wrote on 07/29/16 at 12:05:12:
What sleeve ,do you mean the slide with the rubber diaphgram? If you do the slide needs to be clean ,(not even touched be your fingers) if dirty it could be hanging up .this would  explain your bike not running for sh*t.

The sleeve that the needle runs down into. I did touch the needle. What should I clean it with? Wd-40?

Josh Hockman
Park City, UT
2003 Suzuki Savage LS 650
*HD Dyna Muffler *Raptor 660 Petcock
*K&N Cone Filter
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 07/29/16 at 12:31:48

Just so we can keep things straight.

The piece with the rubber diaphragm attached and moves up and down - is the "slide".
The skinny tapered piece sticking out the bottom of the slide is the "needle" or "Jet Needle".
The brass piece that the needle pokes in at the top, and the main jet screws into the bottom - is the "Needle Jet"

The slide is what needs to be absolutely clean to prevent sticking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 07/29/16 at 12:35:59

Clean and dry,  no fingerprints even. Yeah, sounds Krazee don't it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #33 - 07/29/16 at 12:41:13

Cool (or boring) fact: The slide will actually lube itself with gasoline. Don't worry about lube. Wipe it dry and spotless like they said. Avoid touching any part that contacts the walls of the carb. It's gotta slide up and down really freely. I personally can't say about fingerprints... But I can sure say mud/dirt will stick it. Cheesy Ask me how I know.  Roll Eyes

I like to play with the slides before I take carbs off or disassemble them anyway. It's fun... Cheesy, especially on that old Shadow I've got. The slides on that thing are right in your face. After removing the airbox, I set my finger at the bottom edge and bob it up and down. You're not gonna cause a problem that way (Well... uh... unless you go crazy and break something Roll Eyes.). It's a way you can roughly test how the slide is doing. No promises, though. You can sure tell if one's stuck good anyway. And you can feel if there's any grit in there. Should be unbelievably smooth as butter.

I wouldn't worry so much about the needle itself. It's gonna get sprayed hard with gas all the time. That's the thing that meters fuel, especially in the midrange. It's not really in the position to get stuck anyway. It's the big cylinder holding the needle that sticks-- the slide.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 07/29/16 at 13:54:56

The slide should drop without hesitating anywhere. If you see it slow down or stop, it's sticking.
When you open the throttle, vacuum lifts it. If it's sticking then it can slow down or even stop. The closer to WFO you are, the less vacuum you have, so, if it's sticking at the upper end of its travel then it's possible that the vacuum is too low to overcome the sticking and you simply won't get the last few MPH out of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hockmanjosh
YaBB Newbies

Park City, UT
Reply #35 - 07/29/16 at 14:25:48

Called it quits for the day.
Cleaned everything with carb cleaner, put it all back together. No go. Starter initiates, by the bike doesn't fire up, just keeps turning big over.

Josh Hockman
Park City, UT
2003 Suzuki Savage LS 650
*HD Dyna Muffler *Raptor 660 Petcock
*K&N Cone Filter
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #36 - 07/29/16 at 14:41:50

Sorry if this has been addressed, but have you tried a new spark plug?  Spark plugs, even new ones, can and will fail at some point. I have had this happen with a new lawnmower plug. Iwas recently working on a chainsaw and it would just die after it got warm...got a new plug and VROOOOOOOOM!

Also, make sure your float is "floating" and all that jazz.  Don't get tunnel vision chasing just the jets...you never know what else you may have bumped or overlooked while you're up in there.

Luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 07/29/16 at 15:38:10

You didn't put a gas filter in line with the new petcock did you?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 07/29/16 at 18:34:41

Dave wrote on 07/29/16 at 11:56:43:
You might want to try charging your battery.  The voltage can drop low enough that the ignition doesn't provide spark - but the battery is still able to run the starter.  This can occur when people take very short trips and the battery doesn't get enough of a charge to replenish the power used running the starter motor.

Have you checked the battery voltage....or tried charging it.....it really can make a difference.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 07/29/16 at 18:49:13

Did you put it on

PRIME?

Shoot ether at the intake?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:09:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Help...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.