Send Topic Print
vibration (Read 111 times)
Dan V.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

vibration
07/25/16 at 08:52:21

I'm new here, with a question about vibration. I just bought a used 2001 LS650 with 500 miles (not a typo). I just got my motorcycle license, so I'm somewhat new to riding bikes. However, my machine has significant vibration over 20 mph. It feels significant to me, but maybe this is normal for this model.  My LS was in storage for many, years until recently. It was checked over by a dealer before I bought it, and was said to be in good shape. Has a new battery, new carb, but original tires/rims. It starts easily and idles nicely.  Interested in anyone's thoughts.
Thanks much.
Dan
Eagan, MN

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: vibration
Reply #1 - 07/25/16 at 09:00:32

Welcome!
There's a lot that can contribute to vibration.
With your situation, I might wonder if the tires are just really "flat-spotted" from sitting which is probably a stretch considering it's Summer and the warmth + riding should round them out pretty easily.
These big singles will have some vibration but it shouldn't be excessive.
Are there any signs the bike was ever dropped?  
Get the tires in the air and spin 'em and watch for anything "out of round".

You might seriously consider new tires because of their age.  15 years is pretty old for tires and could present a safety risk.  If it were me, I would get new rubber on there just based on age and re-evaluate the vibration.
There will be many more comments coming your way!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/25/16 at 09:08:26

At 20 mph, 2nd gear at about 2400 rpm, you shouldn't be vibrating excessively.
1st thing to check out is the engine mounting bolts, if they're loose you will feel more vibration.
Torque values are in the tech section, check out the index link below.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 07/25/16 at 09:18:16

I hope the dealer gave you the old carb they're cost is over $500.00 and your's just needed cleaning!You do need new tires if press your thumb nail into the tire an you don't see a faint mark,their old,hard and dangerous!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 07/25/16 at 09:25:38

Is the vibration rpm dependent or speed dependent? There is a significant diference.

The LS is a big (one of the biggest) and relatively simple single cylinder engine (aka Thumper). All single cylinder engines vibrate - and the larger the displacement the more they vibrate (there are exceptions...refer to my comment about being simple).

It's not uncommon for riders to complain about vibrations at higher rpms (my bike has a tachometer so I know that the vibration party starts in earnest around 4000 rpm).

If your vibration is rpm dependent it's completely normal for this engine. If however it is speed related I would look first at tire issues (flat spots at the rear or cupping at the front tire) and then suspension issues (blown fork seal, bent forks, broken or bent shock).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/25/16 at 09:48:32

Check the bolts that run through the footpegs. Gotta get a wrench on each end. I don't see how anything could be loose with so few miles. But, if it's vibrating, that's where I would start. Then look up high on the head, look for the mount up there .

If it's RPM related and Not Speed related I wouldn't worry about wheels.

They Do, definitely,vibrate. It's a single cylinder 650,lotsa stuff slinging around in there, including a
Balance weight..
It is, by no means, a perfect design. But it's a hoot!
You can always take it back and just ask someone to wheel it around the block.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dan V.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/25/16 at 09:49:00

The vibration seems to be dependant on rpm. However, at 50 mph I feel like I'm in a coin-op bed that has gone into a high speed wobble. Vastly different from the Suzuki 250 I rode in my motorcycle training class, which was smooth as silk.  My LS engine just purrs at idle but does have some 'gnashing sounds' at 45 to 50 mph (maybe this is the inadequate chain tensioner mentioned elsewhere in this forum?). It does not sound or feel smooth at speed. Correct  . . . I don't know if this thing had oil squirted into the chamber before sitting for 14 years. At $1900, my investment is modest enough to avoid worrying about it. The second owner changed oil right away and replaced the carb and battery, due to storage concerns. This is what he says, but he didn't produce receipts or the original carb.  Smiley The oil level is fine. Cosmetically, it looks like new. No leaks, scratches . . . nothing. I do know that one lungers aren't as smooth as a twin, but this vibration seems excessive.  Maybe I'll take it in and have the tires replaced . . .  this is a good idea.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 07/25/16 at 09:54:17

Dan V. wrote on 07/25/16 at 09:49:00:
Maybe I'll take it in and have the tires replaced . . .  this is a good idea.

Even if the bike was perfectly stored, 14 year old tires should be inspected for any cracking around the sidewall, and in all likelihood, be replaced.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/25/16 at 10:38:59

Tires are not the problem. As long as they are not hard or cracked, they are okay. Just don't see how fast it will fly through a corner or down the highway. Do the thumbnail test.
First thing to apply yourself to is the vibration issue.
After that, if it really is time for tires, read up, get the front tire Located, know what you are spending. Get quotes on installing, tube, rim strip, tire. Shop around, you might be ahead to get a tire shipped to you, haul the front wheel and new stuff into a shop. You park the bike and let Them pull the wheel it gets expensive,, fast.
Rear? It's more,

You got Any mechanical experience at all?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dan V.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/16 at 11:13:50

I have lots of mechanical experience. No concerns there. Thanks all, for your suggestions.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 07/25/16 at 11:48:50

I'm voting tires. Who knows, there could be water in there, an ant bed?  After that much time anything is possible besides the potential for flat spotting and dry rot.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/25/16 at 12:18:19

RPM related, not speed related, vibration.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › vibration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.