Send Topic Print
Hot & bothered (Read 290 times)
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot & bothered
07/24/16 at 15:36:58

Sooo, just about finished my bike. '87 Savage, Changed the pipe, not straight through, but still lets the gas through a lot better, and changed the air filter, which lets the air in much better. As expected, all the classic signs of running lean. Hard to start, lots of back firing, poor throttle response, and running lots hotter than I would like. Standard Mikuni BS40SS (24B10).

Can anyone tell me what I need to change in the carb, ie main jet etc, and what the part numbers are for the next 1 / 2 jet sizes / Smiley upgrades needed?

P1020550.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hot & bothered
Reply #1 - 07/24/16 at 17:28:12

How
NOT straight through
Is that pipe?
What is it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/25/16 at 07:34:37

Read through the tech section ,fuel&exhaust,go from there.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/25/16 at 08:22:22

If that air filter covers the air passages it won't run for crap.
Just remove it, see how it acts. The rubber sleeve has to be checked, it's been a common problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/25/16 at 15:41:25

Ok, all I really wanted was the parts I needed to replace for a better fuel flow. I figured it was just the main jet needs replacing with a larger one. The pipe is a generic one bought off Ebay with some baffles inside, but pretty much free flowing.
I don't really get what is meant by the 'air passages'. The sleeve has been removed, the filter sits on the manifold.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/25/16 at 16:34:08

Maybe someone will point you to a picture.
Otherwise,considering the symptoms, and when it all started, I'd suggest popping that rubber sleeve off and get everything off the end of the carb and see what happens. What's that? 5 minutes? I've explained longer than that. You will understand what air passages I'm talking about, soon as you see the end of the carb. If the rubber sleeve Doesn't have an internal rib that touches the end of the carb, it's okay, if you aren't sure, you should look.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/25/16 at 18:34:06

cone filter& load muffler ,every newbie's dream!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/26/16 at 05:38:09

Eddie Picasso wrote on 07/25/16 at 15:41:25:
I don't really get what is meant by the 'air passages'. The sleeve has been removed, the filter sits on the manifold.

At the top of the carb inlet, is an oval shaped passage.  The stock rubber sleeve clamps on the outside of the inlet, and nothing is blocking the flow of air to the oval opening.  If the cone filter blocks the flow of air to that oval passage....the engine won't run worth a darn.  Some of the cone filters have a step in the rubber that blocks that oval hole.

A Cone filter and free flowing/open exhaust can be very hard to tune on a Savage, and the wrong ones may make it impossible to get a smooth running engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/26/16 at 13:26:54

Carb will come off at the weekend to check. I'm pretty sure the cone filter sits outside the manifold, but best to check eh! Also fitted a new Iridium plug, which seems to be helping a bit. On wards and upwards. Smiley

IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/26/16 at 13:31:00

"A Cone filter and free flowing/open exhaust can be very hard to tune on a Savage, and the wrong ones may make it impossible to get a smooth running engine."

To be fair the engine is running pretty well, just hotter than I would like and really sluggish. Backfires some but reading elsewhere on here that could be just inevitable. I will keep trying and once sorted will post the solution. Thanks for the help. Wink

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 07/26/16 at 16:47:18

Eddie.lean motors run hotter, the bike is tuned lean stock,you have added a more open air filter and muffler both of which will make it run even leaner . You need to rejet , to larger sizes,but not knowing what muffler or filter maker you've choose you need a jet kit to try and find what works for you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/26/16 at 16:56:38

n. Hard to start, lots of back firing, poor throttle response

Sounds like fun..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/27/16 at 04:44:05

Here is the thread that details the cone filter issue:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347609265

Eddie Picasso wrote on 07/24/16 at 15:36:58:
Sooo, just about finished my bike.....changed the air filter, which lets the air in much better.

I am not convinced this assumption is an accurate one.  The stock air filter system works pretty well for the stock amount of air that the stock engine can flow.  The Cone filter may not actually be any better than the stock system - and the CV carb seems to be a bit difficult to jet properly when the wrong cone filter is used.  Most folks install the cone filter for the "look" associated with the removal of the air box, sidecovers, etc.  Verslagen has a system that probably does flow better than the stock airbox - but a small cone at the carb inlet???????

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/27/16 at 05:11:51

None of the intake tuning things I've read would make me think a cone strapped to the carb is an improvement.

A volume equal to or greater than the volume of the cylinder between the filter and carb is a good idea. More to it than that, but IF the goal is performance, some study is in order.

IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/27/16 at 14:16:21

I seem to remember the original airbox was clamped to the rear mudguard. Sadly the rear mudguard on this bike had the structural integrity of Weetabix. Also, the original silencer was akin to a culinder. So the changes were sort of made for me, plus I only did the bike for a bit of fun over the winter. However, I've seen quite a few LS650's with similer setups as mine, so quite surprised that it looks like I could be having fun with the fuel/air settings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:15:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot & bothered

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.