Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

It's a sickness....
07/18/16 at 11:49:10

And I ain't lookin for a cure  Wink

Savage flywheel, a little over 6 lbs stock, a little over 4 lbs savaged  Shocked

Took the weight off the inner part so that there'd stiff be enough flywheel effect. Just wanted to lose a bit of flywheel effect. Mainly wanted to just lose weight.

Light_flywheel_II.JPG

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: It's a sickness....
Reply #1 - 07/18/16 at 12:33:40

Well,, it'll be interesting to see how that affects things.
I spose it otta rap up a tad quicker.
Might tend to be a hair easier to kill leaving a stop. Before mine was broken in it was easy to stall it. After it loosened up I could roll away from a stop without needing so many RPMs,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 07/18/16 at 14:29:44

Hot rodders used to do this all the time on old ford flathead V8s. Yeah, it will be interesting to see how much this might affect drivability.

Back in the 70's I had a friend with a 125cc two-stroke motocross bike that had the flywheel completely eliminated. It was an absolute bear to ride. I don't know how he did it. The slightest throttle movement made instant RPM and ground speed changes. A little throttle and the bike would lift the front wheel. Close the throttle and it would try to throw you over the handlebars. Starting from a stop was a complete thrill. You had to get the revs up so it wouldn't stall, but the high revs (not to mention really radical cylinder port timing) would try to flip the bike on you. I road it once. That was enough.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/18/16 at 14:48:33

Sounds radically radical.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 07/18/16 at 15:19:42

There is definitely a line not to cross. BMW Airhead twins way back when had a flywheel that weighed a ton. Lightened a lot of those and made bikes that were more fun to ride. Accelerated quicker, more engine braking, better throttle response.
In '81 BMW all but eliminated the flywheel on the Airhead. Bikes revved quicker, but were definitely buzzier, as the heavy mass of the flywheel dampened the power pulses and made for smoother motors.
I lighten flywheels for the local independent Duc shop. Everyone says the bikes are snapper, some say they buzz more.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Witchdoctor
YaBB Newbies

Ridin out to
sunset..

CENTRAL FLORIDA
Reply #5 - 07/18/16 at 18:01:56

I would love to see how it responds..

I love the evil sound of a quick revving thumper. I would kill to have my savage rev like a Suzuki LT-R 450...  Grin

USA
Central Florida
Abused 2011 s40 19k miles
K&N Filter/jets
Exhaust drilled out

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:40:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's a sickness....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.