Send Topic Print
We've struck oil! (Read 99 times)
zombeh_king
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

We've struck oil!
07/17/16 at 01:17:07

I have fresh oil coming from the bottom of my bike.  In the parked position it is dripping from the shifter lever.  My bike has 6.5k miles and is a 97, it's not in the best condition but I believe it's been sitting longer than it has been running.  I can't see any cracks or hairline fractures so I'm thinking it's a gasket; there isn't a steady drip but it's left a small puddle where it's been parked for the past week.  The oil looks and smells new.  Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.  :'( Undecided

pics
http://imgur.com/a/kD3dc

« Last Edit: 07/17/16 at 04:25:05 by zombeh_king »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: We've struck oil!
Reply #1 - 07/17/16 at 04:44:43

The Technical Section is for proven "HOW TO" threads....not for questions.

The Rubber Side Down is for questions related to your Savage.

The Cafe' is for off topic stuff.

You most likely need to tighten the through bolts that hold your peg mounts on.  When those are loose the engine can drip oil.  They are through bolts, so you will have to put a wrench on both sides to tighten them.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zombeh_king
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/17/16 at 04:58:15

Through bolts are the head bolts? I have the next few days off so i will be going over the main areas of the bike and righting everything i can, to the best of my ability. I already know i need to tighten up the clutch cable and throw some sealant on the head plug and drain plug.

Just for giggles, is their a post that you can think of off the top of your head that would cover a basic check-list / run through of what to look for or where to look for common problems or issues?

Like i said, its my first bike (that i've owned) and i want to make sure i cover everything major.

Thanks in advance,

zombeh

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 07/17/16 at 05:55:24

Always hard to find a leak on a dirty engine. Get some PJ1 Spray-N-Wash. It's the only engine cleaner I know that you can spry on a hot engine. Pull off the sprocket cover, get the bike hot and spray everything. Use a plastic brush to help loosen up the crud. Let sit for a while, then hose off.
Get some underarm or foot spray with a high talc content. Spray everywhere that it might be coming from. Don't get too carried away. Then run the bike and look for leaks. They'll show up so well you can see the leak from across the room.
Always worked for me.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/17/16 at 06:25:24

Not head bolts, don't mess with those.

Peg mount bolts go Through the lower end of the motor, clamping the sides. Tightening them is often the answer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/17/16 at 06:50:43

zombeh_king wrote on 07/17/16 at 04:58:15:
Through bolts are the head bolts?
zombeh

The bolts for the foot peg mounts have the bolt going in on one side, and an acorn style nut on the other side......so it appears you have a bolt on both sides.  It is not uncommon for a person to try and tighten just one side at a time....and that doesn't work as the other side will just spin.

The footpeg mounts bolts are what I wanted you to check.....down where your feet are.  The shifter pedal is on one side...the footbrake on the other side.  There are two bolts that pass all the way through the engine, from one side to the other.......when tight they hold the engine cases clamped together.  When they are loose oil often weeps to the bolt, and then travels along the bolt and leaks out the right side.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zombeh_king
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/17/16 at 15:46:21

I've checked them and there is no oil residue.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/17/16 at 18:04:34

zombeh_king wrote on 07/17/16 at 15:46:21:
I've checked them and there is no oil residue.  

Who told you to check the BOLTS for oil?
Torque them.
Wrench on Both ends at the same time.
Do that, report back.

If you have time maybe you can have a look at another thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1468203484

Check that out.. Asking for advice, got and ignored advice, wound up in a major jam..

You're not gonna get in a jam here, but why act like the advice you've been given isn't good enough?
If you don't Like the advice, find better.. but don't argue with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zombeh_king
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/17/16 at 18:17:59

I'm sorry,  I miss read the directions.  I'm not throwing your advice away,  I just miss read the instructions wrong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › We've struck oil!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.