Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Riding @ 10..... (Read 382 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Re: Riding @ 10.....
Reply #45 - 07/19/16 at 10:02:34

I could honestly say that I ride at somewhere around 50-60% of my 'best' riding ability. I supposed that would equate to a 5 or 6 most days. But I'm not as convinced that improving my skills can be achieved by pushing myself to do more risky maneuvers. Going faster than my "normally perceived safe speed" doesn't make me feel like I'm getting better, just more cocky.

I truly think that by riding through downtown Raleigh traffic at 5:30pm once a week, remembering to flash my high beams every time I see a cage about to turn left in front of me, watching for drivers running red lights, making those sharp u-turns in narrow neighborhood streets, etc, etc, etc can help me improve more reliably. It might be a slower progression, but what the crap. I'm almost 50!! What kind of hurry do I need to be in these days?

I don't think trying to take that sharp onramp at the cloverleaf going 5MPH faster than I took it last time is smart for me. I don't want to push my luck, just get to my destination safely (with God's help every single time).   Roll Eyes

just my two cents...

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 07/19/16 at 11:12:34

When I saw improvements I hit regularly traveled curves at speeds that I knew I would survive and simply tried different lines, lean angles, braking in, when to get back in the gas.

Then worked on applying the lessons and be consistent..

And that's the hard part. Coming in, lining up, hitting the apex with the same lean angle,, etc..
I was surprised that less lean gave a better exit speed and smoother feel through .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 07/19/16 at 11:28:21

I was reading an article that talked about braking.  A Moto GP rider was working on his braking, and had been concentrating on the firt 3% of this braking....and the last 3% of his braking.  He was improving his times by concentrating on the time when you first apply the brakes, and the bike begins to transfer the weight to the front of the bike.......then as he would stop braking and begin to apply power, he was working to do it smoothly and not unsettle the bike.  When not racing.....he would practice coasting at walking speed, and apply the brakes so that he could sense the pads touching the rotors......but the brakes would not be applying any force to slow the bike.  He was working to create a reflex where all of his braking was applied with smoothness - even if it ended up with hard braking.  The really hard braking can't begin until the weight is properly moved onto the front tire.

When I watch those YouTube videos of scooters in Asian countries crashing.....it is normal that the scooter operator will grab a whole handful of front brake, the wheel locks up and the front tire slides, and they go down hard.  The front tire can't take a lot of braking force until the weight has been transferred forward (and/or Scooter brakes might be really sensitive).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #48 - 07/19/16 at 12:36:16

I'm with you Raleighguy. I ride into work every now and then here in Houston, TX and the cagers can be terrifying. I'm not ashamed to use my horn to let people know I am there even if they were not thinking of coming into my lane.

And based on what Dave said I guess I do ride mostly conservatively as I have yet to experience the wobble on a sweeper. I have to admit though, there are not many sweepers in the general Houston area, at least not where I ride. Ride safe my friends. Thump on!!!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #49 - 07/20/16 at 02:35:37

The road is not the place to see what you are capable of and we all give ourselves a little fright occasionally. I think the best thing to do on your own is to practice emergency braking, feeling the front wheel let go and being able to instantly back off a touch. Figure 8's around traffic cones would be good. Then to have some fun and find your limits in a safe environment book a day at a racetrack with a riding school.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #50 - 07/20/16 at 02:43:28

Probably the wise move, but I am gonna do what I do.
The curves are there..and I will always play with them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #51 - 07/20/16 at 07:14:25

I have definitely felt my S40 wobble, and then Versy got on it and put it through it's paces and went much faster
That was right after my crash on the Sisters
basically my enhanced butt-pucker reaction was causing me to tighten up, which leads to: TADA! steering wobble in fast sweepers as well as tight twists
When I relaxed more the wobble went away
then when I scared myself again the wobble came back
As Versy, Dave, and Springman can attest, if they take off the kid gloves and speak trooth, I am nowhere near the S40's limitations in corners, but there's that wobble, just like I was 'on the edge'
I was
My edge, not the bike's

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #52 - 07/20/16 at 07:22:17

Dave wrote on 07/19/16 at 11:28:21:
I was reading an article that talked about braking.  A Moto GP rider was working on his braking, and had been concentrating on the firt 3% of this braking....and the last 3% of his braking.  He was improving his times by concentrating on the time when you first apply the brakes, and the bike begins to transfer the weight to the front of the bike.......then as he would stop braking and begin to apply power, he was working to do it smoothly and not unsettle the bike.  When not racing.....he would practice coasting at walking speed, and apply the brakes so that he could sense the pads touching the rotors......but the brakes would not be applying any force to slow the bike.  He was working to create a reflex where all of his braking was applied with smoothness - even if it ended up with hard braking.  The really hard braking can't begin until the weight is properly moved onto the front tire.

And here is an example of what I'm saying. I doubt any of us goes to these lengths to learn better control, spending time practicing 3% braking engagement, so a GP rider on an S40 would get a lot more out of it than any of us would

When I watch those YouTube videos of scooters in Asian countries crashing.....it is normal that the scooter operator will grab a whole handful of front brake, the wheel locks up and the front tire slides, and they go down hard.  The front tire can't take a lot of braking force until the weight has been transferred forward (and/or Scooter brakes might be really sensitive).

Scooters, especially the big 'uns, are quite tail heavy, and the steering is lighter than a motorcycle, to the point of twitchiness, and not a lot of traction before weight transitions
get on one and treat it like a moto and you'll drop it
No1 cause of new scooter riders crashing here in the US is guys getting off motos onto scooters and inputting steering like it was a moto

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #53 - 07/20/16 at 07:22:47

Art Webb wrote on 07/20/16 at 07:14:25:
When I relaxed more the wobble went away
then when I scared myself again the wobble came back

-------------------------------------------

Art, your point is well taken. As I got my Cabbage up to 90 MPH for the first time this morning (a speed I've only done maybe twice in the 15 years I've been riding), it began to seriously wobble and shake in my grip. But as butt-puckering as my position was, I'd be willing to bet you are right about ME being the cause.

Although I probably won't test this theory doing 90 again, 75 will have to suffice for future tests.   Undecided

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #54 - 07/20/16 at 08:27:10

I think it's safe to say fixation is real, you focus on what you want to avoid and you end up there......
I believe it's true as well when you ride tight. Your grip and fear cause mental fatigue with fixating on holding the bars to tight and going to the brake on any perception of loosing control.
Only riding in those fears will give you confidence that is needed to ride past that fear.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #55 - 07/20/16 at 09:15:30

You lost me for a minute Jog, when you said as long as the curves are there you're going to play with them.  Then I remembered we are talking about roads. Roll Eyes

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #56 - 07/20/16 at 13:54:20

springman wrote on 07/20/16 at 09:15:30:
You lost me for a minute Jog, when you said as long as the curves are there you're going to play with them.  Then I remembered we are talking about roads. Roll Eyes

Yeah No kidding, that guy has forgotten where curves lead....
S'pose he been rid'n two up with bot so long he done ferget

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #57 - 07/20/16 at 15:52:10

Yeah, yeah, the ONLY place I had a wobble was that sweeper, but it was my fault..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #58 - 07/20/16 at 15:57:07

When you get up to those speeds, wind can buffet against your body and make your arms wiggle the bars... relaxing helps...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 07/20/16 at 16:07:44

But THAT ONLY MESSED WITH ME THERE.
How are you people so unable to READ?
The asphalt was not flat. The suspension was working.. GET IT?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding @ 10.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.