Riding @ 10..... (Read 382 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Riding @ 10.....
Reply #30 - 07/15/16 at 17:46:29

With all due respect JOG 10 is the vehicles limit, not the rider/drivers. If you can ride/drive at ten tenths of any vehicles limit, you are Rossi/ Lewis Hamilton material.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #31 - 07/15/16 at 17:49:47

gizzo wrote on 07/15/16 at 05:30:00:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 07/14/16 at 07:32:08:
I tend to drag boot before peg. Startles me to do that, and I pull the bike back up.

That's actually a pretty good strategy and I know other cruiser riders who do it, feeling the road with the heel of their boot gives some warning the pegs are coming close. Well played.

For me, it depends where, when and what I'm riding. Most of my bikes are slow and our local twisties are quite tight, the kind you can drag pegs and knees at sane speeds. I'd compare my local with the vids I see of Mulholland and the Dragon. So I feel pretty comfortable going nuts in the hills, up to a point. I try to leave a bit in reserve for an escape route. Some guys I ride with go harder than me, but leave nothing in the "luck jar". So I'll call my style 7 out of 10. I know I can go harder, but I choose not not to. My "fast" bike, I'd call 6, because it can do things at speeds I don't care to do and at my (safe) speed it's too easy. Falling off is no fun and best avoided. I guess everyone's idea of performance riding is different. My mate with a 750 Virago think's he's on fire if he decks a saddlebag. I don't think a 10 is warranted unless your footpegs are ground to little nubs and tyres are flayed smoking carcasses.

I love the cabbage because you can ride like a nut and feel like your going hard, but at mostly legal speed. Plus, you look good when you round up a sportbike on one. Same with the Enfield.

Can't say for sure it was really intentional. Part of the reason that I drag boot is because I constantly cover the rear brake, so my right foot is always hunched up and my heel is a little lower than the peg. The left peg is a broken off nub. Considering the varying foot position with the shifter, it may not work as well. Could also have contributed to some of my crashes. They were always on the left side. However, there are probably other reasons all of my significant crashes were on the left side.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #32 - 07/15/16 at 19:00:21

Art Webb wrote on 07/15/16 at 07:18:15:
personally I like 'fun but not butt clenching' and I think i benefit most from that

Amen to that, Art!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 07/15/16 at 19:52:23

raydawg wrote on 07/14/16 at 05:08:02:
When I took my motorcycle riding class, I remember the instructor talking about ability.
He explained it in a manner that assigned a number to it, 10 being the most extreme, or top, of your ability.
Now I am certain my 10, or ability is not as high as say, versy's or dave's, 10, but that doesn't matter, my 10 is only in reference to me.
He said to improve on that number, we need to push it.
Not recklessly, but we need to not be afraid and by challenging our riding skills, we become better riders.
I have never felt I pushed a 10, perhaps 8, dragging a peg and staying on the throttle and not leaving my turning arc/path.
I mostly ride around 6 I would venture to say....

Anyway, last weekend a guy at work was killed riding. A very nice guy.
Had another person, a co-worker who I know as well, a single mom....
He lost it in a turn  Embarrassed
I know she lived, but I don't know the extent of her injuries....

It got me to thinking about the 10, again.

No other vehicles involved, nor weather, road conditions, just ride out of his ability is my guess. Not fair when you have another seated behind you with no say....

Using the 10, what do you all normally ride, and how often do you push it?

Thanks.

Actually, the thrust of the thread was different. I read it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #34 - 07/15/16 at 19:55:09

Kris01 wrote on 07/15/16 at 19:00:21:
Art Webb wrote on 07/15/16 at 07:18:15:
personally I like 'fun but not butt clenching' and I think i benefit most from that

Amen to that, Art!

I agree too, but for a different reason....
At my age any butt clenching will surely jump my spastic colon, which, could very well lead to a lumpy seat  Shocked

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #35 - 07/15/16 at 20:02:51

TMI Dawg! T... M... I...!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 07/16/16 at 07:13:57

jcstokes wrote on 07/15/16 at 17:46:29:
With all due respect JOG 10 is the vehicles limit, not the rider/drivers. If you can ride/drive at ten tenths of any vehicles limit, you are Rossi/ Lewis Hamilton material.

No, with all due respect, any time a discussion of riding at x/10ths is discussed, it's understood that it's x /10th of the RIDER'S ability, especially when an MSF instructor is advocating doing so
suggesting that anyone outside a pro should ride at 10/10 of the bike's ability is just silly

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #37 - 07/16/16 at 09:08:19

10/10ths of the bike's OR the rider's ability should be limited to a race track anyway!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #38 - 07/16/16 at 15:41:54

What Art Webb said. Almost anyone on the planet riding a Kwak H2R would easily reach their personal 10th far before they found the bike's limits. You'd have to be an idiot to even claim you'd tried.
I love thrashing my slow old motorbikes but I like to leave a few pennies in the luck jar.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 07/16/16 at 17:43:41

I've HAD the bike at its Ten. There is a left hand, off camber sweeper out here that causes it to start oscillating the bars at about sixty.. I don't know how anyone could ride through faster..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #40 - 07/17/16 at 08:17:14

a Schwantz, Rossi, or a Rainy could, bet on it

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 07/17/16 at 08:38:25

When the bars start oscillating, you can't stop them. Let it get going too far and a tank slapping wobble comes in, just before you crash. If someone is willing to crash, they might ride through a couple MPH ahead.. but The Bike is limited in its suspension and rebels at That curve with the almost imperceptibly undulating asphalt, which causes the rear suspension to work up and down, changing the way the steering angles work. Heck, you can probably get another two MPH through there,, but I won't.. IMO, that Is the Bikes 10. Only foolhardy go beyond wobbling handlebars..
It's like riding a drunk rubber Cow,, handlebars swinging left and right, rear end moving up and down.. hell yeah, come show me..

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #42 - 07/18/16 at 10:44:48

Steering wobble has as much to do with rider input as with suspension limits A pro level rider would be smoother on the throttle, have the balance worked out, know precisely how much throttle  to give it
If you think you can touch a Rossi, Schwantz or Rainey on ANY bike you are flat delusional
I've seen guys take my bike and do stuff on it I couldn't with their far better suspended bike
Watch a Ninja 500 eat a GSXR600 on a twisty road and tell me again about the bike's limits outweighing the rider's

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 07/18/16 at 14:55:23

Well, I tried it every time I was going that way. My pegs were ground down till I had to sew the bottom of the rubber on the right side together with baling wire. I played with that corner every way I could think of and the bike became a very scary thing at the same speed.. so, believe what you want.. I would not be surprised to see a better rider get a couple more M P H through there, but I don't see anyone rolling out wide open.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 07/19/16 at 04:40:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/16 at 14:55:23:
Well, I tried it every time I was going that way. My pegs were ground down till I had to sew the bottom of the rubber on the right side together with baling wire. I played with that corner every way I could think of and the bike became a very scary thing at the same speed.. so, believe what you want.. I would not be surprised to see a better rider get a couple more M P H through there, but I don't see anyone rolling out wide open.

There is no doubt the Savage has some handling limitations.  The suspension is not very sophisticated, the chassis is flexible, and the rake on the forks is set up for Cruising.....not really for doing sweepers at speed.....not sure about the weight bias but it seems there is a lot more weight out back and most bikes set up for handling have a lot more weight up front.  Tire shape/brand can also have a big effect on handling, and the stock rear tire is kinda wide for the rim and most likely is a bit too flexible for good cornering.

Still....the Savage can corner pretty well for a Cruiser - but does get wobbly in the sweepers!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:25:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding @ 10.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.