raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Riding @ 10.....
Reply #15 - 07/14/16 at 13:55:34

verslagen1 wrote on 07/14/16 at 13:09:19:
Most of my rides are at a skill level of 2, but a risk level 10+ and creating a mess level 2 and using a non verbal communication level ..1.,

SA or metric?  Huh

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 07/14/16 at 14:11:29

raydawg wrote on 07/14/16 at 13:55:34:
verslagen1 wrote on 07/14/16 at 13:09:19:
Most of my rides are at a skill level of 2, but a risk level 10+ and creating a mess level 2 and using a non verbal communication level ..1.,

SA or metric?  Huh

Euclidean

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/14/16 at 14:19:35

jcstokes wrote on 07/14/16 at 12:15:04:
I feel that those who ride at 10 tenths, or maybe 10.5 are top line track racers, or dirt/speedway riders in that environment. Most of us would struggle to 8 tenths out of our bikes. It would be interesting to give Rossi a hour on an S40 to acclimatise and then tell him to go for it.

The 10 isn't the Bikes capacity. It's the riders ability. Approach the 10, don't exceed it, supposedly gain ability.
Push Your envelope, working toward learning how to Utilize the Bikes capacity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 07/14/16 at 14:58:11

I find the bike reacts best to me counter steering it into a turn and pushing it over instead of me leaning.
I feel it's more planted and I take the bumps vertical instead of a 45 degree ( or so ) angle.
Whoever said the take their feet off the pegs in a turn, man, that is asking for trouble  Shocked

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 07/14/16 at 15:08:17

I never Suggested it. I did it, because the peg was folded up hard enough to hurt my foot, crushing it against the engine.
I don't know How people survive, reading, but Not READING.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 07/14/16 at 16:06:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/16 at 15:08:17:
I never Suggested it. I did it, because the peg was folded up hard enough to hurt my foot, crushing it against the engine.
I don't know How people survive, reading, but Not READING.

I didn't say you sweetie, I would have remembers you  Kiss

Are you reading this  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 07/14/16 at 17:48:09

Yes, I'm reading it. Dammit, Ray, I TOLD you Don't use those sweet nothings On the Board! If you just Have to express your feelings, do it in a PM. What is wrong with you? It's irritating enough in a PM, but on the Board? I know, you can't help it,, but try to be just embarrass yourself in the future, okay? And, while I'm already on the subject , a few more P.M.s like that and I will block you.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 07/14/16 at 19:13:06

I didn't get into motorcycling because of the thrill factor. I have too much to live for. I ride at a very comfortable and easy going 5-6. I've done a few 9-10 corners (accidentally!  Grin) and it scared the &^%@ outta me!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #23 - 07/14/16 at 19:14:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/16 at 17:48:09:
Yes, I'm reading it. Dammit, Ray, I TOLD you Don't use those sweet nothings On the Board! If you just Have to express your feelings, do it in a PM. What is wrong with you? It's irritating enough in a PM, but on the Board? I know, you can't help it,, but try to be just embarrass yourself in the future, okay? And, while I'm already on the subject , a few more P.M.s like that and I will block you.

Scan  Grin

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 07/15/16 at 05:10:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/16 at 17:48:09:

Post of the week!! Cheesy

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 07/15/16 at 05:30:00

cheapnewb24 wrote on 07/14/16 at 07:32:08:
I tend to drag boot before peg. Startles me to do that, and I pull the bike back up.

That's actually a pretty good strategy and I know other cruiser riders who do it, feeling the road with the heel of their boot gives some warning the pegs are coming close. Well played.

For me, it depends where, when and what I'm riding. Most of my bikes are slow and our local twisties are quite tight, the kind you can drag pegs and knees at sane speeds. I'd compare my local with the vids I see of Mulholland and the Dragon. So I feel pretty comfortable going nuts in the hills, up to a point. I try to leave a bit in reserve for an escape route. Some guys I ride with go harder than me, but leave nothing in the "luck jar". So I'll call my style 7 out of 10. I know I can go harder, but I choose not not to. My "fast" bike, I'd call 6, because it can do things at speeds I don't care to do and at my (safe) speed it's too easy. Falling off is no fun and best avoided. I guess everyone's idea of performance riding is different. My mate with a 750 Virago think's he's on fire if he decks a saddlebag. I don't think a 10 is warranted unless your footpegs are ground to little nubs and tyres are flayed smoking carcasses.

I love the cabbage because you can ride like a nut and feel like your going hard, but at mostly legal speed. Plus, you look good when you round up a sportbike on one. Same with the Enfield.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 07/15/16 at 07:06:01

A new rider is riding at HIS 10 just getting out in traffic.
The 10 isn't comparative or competitive with others.
It's an individuals own max. Your 10 is your 10. Your 10 might be faster than my 10.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 07/15/16 at 07:18:15

to add my voice to JOGs, a 10 in the context of this discussion is 10 10ths of YOUR ability, NOT  the bikes
going off the BIKES ability, I likely don't get much past 5, 2 on the dragon / sisters, but that's MY 8-10 on the S40, and I on a sport bike riding my 10 would smoke me on the S40 at 10
I hope at this point everybody understands we are talking about our own personal abilities
I've been to 11, and it does hurt, which may be why my 10 is so low now  Grin
personally I like 'fun but not butt clenching' and I think i benefit most from that

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #28 - 07/15/16 at 15:54:47

That's the point I was trying to make  Wink. As usual, JoG sums it up nicely.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #29 - 07/15/16 at 17:44:31

With all due respect JOG 10 is the vehicles limit, not the rider/drivers. If you can ride/drive at ten tenths of any vehicles limit, you are Rossi/ Lewis Hamilton material.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:28:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding @ 10.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.