Riding @ 10..... (Read 382 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Riding @ 10.....
07/14/16 at 05:08:02

When I took my motorcycle riding class, I remember the instructor talking about ability.
He explained it in a manner that assigned a number to it, 10 being the most extreme, or top, of your ability.
Now I am certain my 10, or ability is not as high as say, versy's or dave's, 10, but that doesn't matter, my 10 is only in reference to me.
He said to improve on that number, we need to push it.
Not recklessly, but we need to not be afraid and by challenging our riding skills, we become better riders.
I have never felt I pushed a 10, perhaps 8, dragging a peg and staying on the throttle and not leaving my turning arc/path.
I mostly ride around 6 I would venture to say....

Anyway, last weekend a guy at work was killed riding. A very nice guy.
Had another person, a co-worker who I know as well, a single mom....
He lost it in a turn  Embarrassed
I know she lived, but I don't know the extent of her injuries....

It got me to thinking about the 10, again.

No other vehicles involved, nor weather, road conditions, just ride out of his ability is my guess. Not fair when you have another seated behind you with no say....

Using the 10, what do you all normally ride, and how often do you push it?

Thanks.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Riding @ 10.....
Reply #1 - 07/14/16 at 05:20:25

I wonder if he was trying to impress her.

I played at the edge of the envelope often. I  went off road a coupla times. Gathered it up, went on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 07/14/16 at 07:32:08

Yep, I've lost it too.  Always got back up and rode away. I'm not too good at dragging pegs. I usually wreck by that time, and I tend to drag boot before peg. Startles me to do that, and I pull the bike back up. This newb ain't too good at tricks. Can't say I've ever pulled a wheelie on my Savage.

They don't teach you everything in that class. Listen to Twist of the Wrist. It'll teach you some real stuff.  Here's a  small piece of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuTcJcqAng You can often watch it full on YT by people who upload it, but Keith Code probably wants you to buy it.  Wink

Body lean is critical, and totally separate from bike lean. That's probably part of my problem. The more you lean yourself, the less you have to lean the bike, and the tighter you can turn. If you lean alot, you can almost steer like a car (someone's liable to contradict me here), but who wants to wear their tires flat?  It stabilizes the bike and keeps it from falling too far. Maybe it also makes the tires dig in to the curve. Lean the bike too far  and you just lowside. Been there, done that.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/14/16 at 07:32:19

As a guess.....I ride around my local roads at a 6 level like you do, and on some of my favorite turns I most likely get up into the 8.

On the trips to TN/NC, on the tight twisties like Route 28 or the Dragon.....I tend to ride at the 8-9 level for short periods on the really tight 1st and 2nd gear curves - I am not a fan of riding at elevated speeds and I ride a bit more conservative at speeds over 50.

All folks are different.  Some will push their limits and become better riders every day....others will reach a certain level and peak. Both can most likely still enjoy riding at their comfort level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/14/16 at 07:47:26

I don't think riding at or near 10 ios all that productive for me
this year at the Sisters I was getting to where i could almost sorta keep up, then we rode the sisters, and I pushed as close to 10 as I though i could
My fear levels went up, and all the 'progress' I'd made in riding skill / confidence went right out the window, and i was riding slower by the end than i had been when i showed up
I think 'exhilaratingly fast' but not 'scarey fast' works better for me

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/14/16 at 07:52:00

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/14/16 at 07:53:12

I'd call 10 'scarey fast
If you didn't mohawk your seat, it wasn't 10

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/14/16 at 08:42:51

Using your scale Art of 10 being scary fast, then I would say I rarely ride at 10. I'm guessing push a 9 every now and then but would say most of my riding is in the 5-7 area.

My way of viewing bike riding might be a bit out of the norm. I actually want to always be at least a bit scared when on the bike, hoping that will heighten my senses to the max and keep my bet judgement in play.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/14/16 at 10:02:12

I've done 11 a few times...
It hurts... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 07/14/16 at 10:19:44

Serowbot wrote on 07/14/16 at 10:02:12:
I've done 11 a few times...
It hurts... Huh

I'm throwing Web's flag  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/14/16 at 10:52:07

I've totalled three bikes and hit two cars with bicycles.

You can decide what number that is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 07/14/16 at 12:15:04

I feel that those who ride at 10 tenths, or maybe 10.5 are top line track racers, or dirt/speedway riders in that environment. Most of us would struggle to 8 tenths out of our bikes. It would be interesting to give Rossi a hour on an S40 to acclimatise and then tell him to go for it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/14/16 at 12:19:47

JC that really would be cool. And then we would know for sure just what our bikes are capable of.  Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/14/16 at 12:21:45

Sero, JOG, 11's and above are not good. Let's do 10 and under. Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/14/16 at 13:09:19

Most of my rides are at a skill level of 2, but a risk level 10+ and creating a mess level 2 and using a non verbal communication level ..1.,

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:53:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding @ 10.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.